FerrariChat site page loading with ads = whack a mole game | FerrariChat

FerrariChat site page loading with ads = whack a mole game

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by txtony, Jun 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. txtony

txtony Rookie

May 3, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Was not sure where else to post this thread so I will try here.

Presume becoming a subscriber may eliminate this issue, however, there is no other site I use where the pages seem to load ads right when I am about to click on a link of a thread.

Invariably, I get one or two links above the one I am attempting as they are pushed down.

On Chrome, is this what others encounter? Seems unusual and rather frustrating to be honest.

430tdf, Llenroc and defiant like this.
  2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    NoScript and AdBlock help a lot. I do see that behaviour on my phone, where I will try to click on a link and get another one if the ads aren't fully loaded.

Boomhauer and EastMemphis like this.
  3. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    it's ridiculous. Never been any other forum site like it. I frequently just click out because it's such a pain. Can't imagine why this is allowed. Just simply to frustrate people?

Llenroc likes this.
  4. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    like now. ye

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont use my phone to go on forums, Im surprised others do, I would much rather be on a desktop or laptop, a phone, adds or not would be to much of a pain for me .

Thank you

rob lay likes this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    are you on mobile, it shouldn't be too intrusive on desktop, just click that 'x' top right of add on bottom. you can also install an ad blocker to avoid.

we have to monetize one way or another, 'x' out the ad or ad blocker or pay the 4 cents a day to remove ads and get other benefits.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    no, I explained in my post just above. we still present far fewer ads than most other automotive sites and our subscribers don't see any ads.

8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I myself like the adds on top of the pages, anything to do with Ferrari parts , cars, service is alright with me, it just rounds out the experience here . For me, its kind of a hope thing, to be able to someday afford what the adds are selling . Just my 2 cents on a "to humid of a SoCal Saturday " to ride or take a drive, even though my AC is working in the 328, and my favorite Mexican restaurant does not turn their AC on , God I hate humidity lol .I would gladly pay more , if it means I can eat in comfort, prior to fifteen years ago, So Cal never had humidity . Im sorry for rambling .

Thank you

rob lay likes this.
  9. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Thanks for the reply Rob. It's not the adds themselves that are bothersome. its the way the ads cause the screen to jump around. Every time I try to scroll or click a topic the screen moves. Then I get a topic or something else I wasn't looking for. This is the only forum I have ever seen like this. Put ads at the top, sides or the bottom. Don't insert them in the middle, it's what causing the whack a mole game and very frustrating.

430tdf, TWK, defiant and 2 others like this.
  10. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    Yep, this is the only forum that does it for me too, most annoying thing ever

defiant and Llenroc like this.
  11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what other forums do you use?

12. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    SRTForum and Bimmerpost. I know almost all forums exactly the same but this only one that makes the screen jump around continually, even as I'm typing this it's bouncing around.

430tdf and defiant like this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Quick look SRTForum is VerticalScope, which use to have the most intrusive and worst ad layout, I actually like it now all to the right and they don't have the bottom leaderboard ad like us anymore, so I think that is the root of your frustration.

Bimmerpost has a video ad pop up when I visited, that's 10x more annoying than I could ever do with a bottom leaderboard. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. txtony

txtony Rookie

May 3, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tony
    #14 txtony, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    I use R8talk, Rennlist, 6speed. Just posting this message the screen flipped up and down multiple times during the typing - hardly helpful. None of those have that issue or it is less noticeable (I am a paid member only of Rennlist at the moment).

If other auto forums had this degree of jump around process I would question those or conclude it is the all over as an inherent issue. It does not appear to be.

I understand the ads but not in this format to frustrate and discourage use. Please consider a viable solution as evidently I am not the only one who notices and constantly fights this.

512tr1992 and Llenroc like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I'm having development look into this and haven't been able to reproduce the problem yet.

Those with screen jumping around do you have ad blockers? Mobile or desktop? Which browser?

Thanks.

16. txtony

txtony Rookie

May 3, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Don't use phone much so I can't comment, do notice some on Ipad. Primarily use is desktop with Chrome when issues occur - multiple machines.

Just as a comparison, I did notice Rennlist seems to use a right-hand column for ads.

rob lay likes this.
  17. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    I use Google on my phone, not sure if it has ad blockers or not.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    our Russian secret agents did find some things with the ad delivery software we were using. they are looking at it, let us know as you see improvements. thanks!

TWK and Jack-the-lad like this.
  19. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The jumping around went away when I became a Silver Subscriber. Well worth the $15 per year. It was really annoying! I use a desk top exclusively for FChat.

rob lay likes this.
  20. defiant

defiant Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    S
    It is slightly better on Chrome. Only makes one "jump" instead of multiple on each page now. Whatever changes were made appear to be for the better.

rob lay likes this.
  21. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    It's been terrible for me, everything I click on takes me to the Poland Springs ad website. And it still won't stop jumping around as I'm typing this.

22. Kirillos

Kirillos Administrator
    Admin

Nov 8, 2017
    Russia, Rostov-on-Don
    Full Name:
    Kirill Noga
    Apologize for such inconveniences. More changes will be made to avoid possible jumps. As soon as they come into force, I will write about it. And will be waiting for your feedback.

All the best.

rob lay likes this.
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks Kirill! FYI everyone, Kirill is our full time developer and good at finding and fixing these types of problems.

24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    My Rosso membership just ended - and the ads are really intrusive.

25. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    FWIW, I don't seem to have this problem using the Brave browser.