BA 787 Suffers Nose Gear Collapse | FerrariChat

BA 787 Suffers Nose Gear Collapse

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by BJK, Jun 18, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks like it was retracted by accident not a collapse. I wonder if mtx was in the cockpit working on something.

3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    you mean like this? :p

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    All modern airliners have systems that keep the gear from being retracted while there is weight on the wheels, and I suppose that system is redundant, so an accidental retraction on the ground is highly unlikely.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This does remind me of the scene in "No Highway in the Sky" where the Jimmy Stewart character retracts the landing gear while the Reindeer is on the ground to keep it from flying onward, since he thinks the aircraft is fatally flawed.

TheMayor likes this.
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Not if somebody bypasses the squat switches during mnx.

Bob Parks likes this.
  7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Not only unlikely but not likely at all. Squat switches have nothing to do with the down and locked position of the retraction struts when they have reached full cycle. They are in the past dead center position and any movement of the oleo to retract will act to keep them forced in the locked down position. I may be wrong but the only way that I can see that nose gear retracting is if the links were not in the locked position and the airplane moved backwards and allowed the struts to unlock and go into the retract position . This would have to occur without any hydraulic pressure in the system. Of course, if the clinkintinker modulating obduraterotational slidintailer is inoperative, that's what happens.

afterburner likes this.
  8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So can it be fixed? Not sure with this composite stuff how that works. Seems CF tub cars get written off all the time.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    It sounds like it could be a combination of links not in the locked position and mtx doing some sort of routine service. Or maybe a push back tug caused it to retract. I find only a small percentage chance it being structural failure and a small chance the gear retracted on it's own just sitting there. This was caused by human error I will bet. Pilot would have called in a landing gear issue or any other issue on the inbound flight and they would not have been loading it if it was OTS. We did have a Alitalia MD11 come into to ORD one time that the pilot landed on the nose gear doing major structural damage but that is really rare. In that case the gear did not retract on it's own. 787's don't fly like the MD11 crash waiting to happen .

Bob Parks likes this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Yep, this one puzzles me. Once the gear is all the way down, the weight of the airplane is applied at the point of rotation that is well ahead of the oleo.That is supposed to keep the nose gear down and more than the hydraulic actuator can overcome for a an accidental retraction on the ground. I'm having fun guessing at this and I may be out in left field some where. I hope that no one took the clinker tinker thing seriously that I had in the previous post.

afterburner likes this.
  12. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Reports on BBC News indicate that the NLG lock pin was incorrectly inserted into LG lock block. The real damage occurred to number two entry door that was ripped off when the airplane settled. Also engine nacelle damage. In my mind there had to have been movement of the airplane to cause this.

INRange likes this.
  13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Pretty much confirmed by one of my airline buddies. This is a design flaw. On the retracting struts there are two holes of similar diameter at the swivel joint. One will lock the struts from moving and one will not because it is simply the joint itself. This has happened before and there is an AD out to fix it. Glad that no one was hurt or killed.