458 - Contemplating trading my 458 for an F12 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Contemplating trading my 458 for an F12

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Jun 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    F12 more raw than 812SF , GTS . Maybe not faster in the end but one rarely goes there or has enough room to go there anyway . In hindsight I love my F12.

I bet though a 458, 488 & or F8 are way more fun throwing around on the track. I've never been in any of them but I watched them pass me today while in my GTS or maybe I'm just shxty driver.

430jm likes this.
  2. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I took a 488 GTB around the track at Laguna Seca a few times and frankly the car felt numb to me. I didn't enjoy it. I kept thinking had I taken my 458 on the track, it would have been a lot more enjoyable. That's the only time I was on the track in a Ferrari, so I have nothing to compare to. I would think the 812 - with its rear steering - would be a blast to drive at speed around corners though.

Ray

Depreciating Asset likes this.
  3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I did D/E event at Lime Rock today , it was a blast & work. A few times I did feel the rear steer. However I am not a seasoned driver so I didn't truly enjoy its capabilities. If the damn thing wasn't so expensive I would have asked an instructor to take me on a hot lap with it.
    The V8's were tearing it up .

Depreciating Asset likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I would look into an 812. More of a sportscar that bridges the gap between the V12 FR and V8 MR cars than the F12.
    The F12 feels like GT trying to be sporty, but the 812 feels like an actual sports car. Much more planted, agile and nimble. It is also a very fun and happy car to boot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. INNOVA8

INNOVA8 Rookie

Jun 15, 2021
    I just bought an F12 and I can tell you it was the only choice for me vs the 488 or the F8. That V12 soundtrack is intoxicating indeed! Rosso Corsa with Cucio is the best combination - a classic look

Attached Files:

italiafan likes this.
  6. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Agree the sound on the F12 is better than the terrible 488 sound and the so so sound of the F8. However the sound is nothing like the 458 V8 F1 car sound. That was a special sound we likely will never get again.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I did Corsa Pilota with 488 and F12 on COTA in the rain for 2 days with incredible world champion instructors. Yes, the 488 was more “planted” and confidence-inspiring, but the F12 was electrifying.
    At that time I had an F12 and thought it was God’s gift to the world...now I have an 812SF and realize that God has moved on, period, full stop.

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

IPE f12 sound>458 sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel likes this.
  9. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Wow would love to hear IPE on F12… had IPE headers back on Speciale and it was epic. Would imagine 4 more trumpets would be even more glorious!

10. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #60 vonbeeler, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    I’ve had my 488 for almost two years and 812 for almost a year. As most have commented already they are two totally different experiences. The only common thread is they are both an event to drive. When I purchased the 812 I thought maybe I would experience them both and prefer one and sell the other.
    However I cannot let either car go.
    I love the go cart and top down experience from the 488. Very low with your feet on the front axle. You are at one with the car.
    The 812’s engine is just unbelievable. Enzo said he sells us the engine and gives us the car for free.. well the 812 is the full embodiment of that statement. I’ve owned so many cars over my life and this 812 is just at a whole mother level. If there was a beast mode button it’s the default setting. So maybe keep the 458 and take some time to add a V12 later.

As far as the age perception I will say one is for the boy racer mood and the other is when you are feeling a little more mature. Women of all ages seem to prefer the 812 from my experience.

Ash Patel, 430jm and Thecadster like this.
  11. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve been struggling to put the 812 experience into words. Here is a little more insight.
    Many of us seek the F1 sound whether from V8 or V12. Not only does the 812 and F12 nail the high pitch F1 sound, this engine in the 812 is realistically just like having an actual F1 engine under the hood! The performance is mind blowing. I think this is the closest experience to F1 available as far as the engine.

Thecadster likes this.
  12. skierlawyer

skierlawyer Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2010
    Golden, CO
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I had a 458 Italia for 6 years and put 10,000 miles on it. Loved the car. Bought a Speciale and decided to sell my Italia. While the Speciale kicks ass, I actually missed things about the Italia. So, I just bought an F12 as a stablemate to the Speciale. I just got it so I can't give a review yet, but most of the comments here seem on point about the nature of the cars. I also have F355, Dino, F40, CGT, various 911s, etc.
    The F12 is my first front engine super car. It's quite beautiful in person, pictures don't seem to do it justice.
    I think an F12 is a great addition to my collection, but I also think it's telling that I only bought it AFTER I had mid and rear engine cars exclusively.
    When I had only the 458 Italia I dreamed of the F12, for the 12 cylinder experience, but the Italia is more striking visually and more agile to drive as others have pointed out.
    For me, the Speciale and F12 is the dream combo.
    On Speciale vs Italia, one thing I will say is the Italia sounds better if they are both stock. I put an exhaust on my S and now it sounds awesome too. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login