458 - carwash mode with car in the air? | FerrariChat

458 carwash mode with car in the air?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by action-ant, Jun 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone tried putting their car into carwash mode with the car lifted in the air and all wheels unloaded/hanging free? I tried yesterday and couldn't get the car to shutoff into carwash mode. The previous times when I got into carwash mode was with the car on the ground, and even then it was kind of hit or miss.

Thanks for any help!

Anthony

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It is sometime necessary to release the rear parking brake with handle on the lower dash after you put it into carwash mode.

Carwash mode is deactivating the brake that comes from locking first and reverse together.

So put it in carwash and shut it off, then pull the lever to release the rear parking brake.

Are you doing it because you are working on the brakes?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    How is car wash mode inadvertently activated when shutting the car off?
    In other words, how do I turn car off withOUT car wash mode ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Simply switch the engine off while the transmission is still in gear.

plastique999 likes this.
  5. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am unable to put the car into carwash mode while the car is up in the air and wheels hanging freely. I wonder if the ride height sensors detect the wheels are no longer on the ground? I want to spin the rear wheels freely to attach equipment to the rear hubs for an alignment.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Strange as that should not be an issue. Ride height sensors? It's been a while since I had my head in the wheel arches of a 458, but definitely not something I have seen on the 488 and Pista.

What about just starting up the car and put it in neutral while you attach the alignment sensors? Then just switch off the car after.

I know this is dumbing it down, but bear with me. Just to make 110% sure.

Step 1: Start the car
    Step 2: Put the car in neutral
    Step 3: Shut off car
    Step 4: Within three seconds of shutting off the car, hit the start button without your foot on the brake.
    Step 5: Shut off car by pressing start button again
    Step 6: Pull handle on dash if rear parking brake is engaged

Anyway, if the car will go into Carwash mode on the ground, why not just put it in Carwash mode before lifting it?

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. action-ant

action-ant Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I'll have to give your sequence a try next time. I actually never tried shutting the car off by pressing the start button--I've always just switched the key back. And I don't think I've ever tried step #4, trying to hit the start button without foot on the brake. I would imagine a message popping up saying "press on the brake to start" or something?

It was a bit of a hassle, I put the wheels back on the car and placed it onto the ground, and of course I couldn't get the car into carwash mode. I had an error light about the front lift (I think when I had started the car with the wheels off the ground, the front lift attempted to activate and it set off an error). And I wasn't able to clear the front lift error with a battery reset. I had also tried starting the car with the wheels in the air, and placed the gearbox into neutral, but when we tried to move the rear hub, it felt pretty locked in place. We put the car back onto the ground, drove around a few laps to see if I could get the front lift light to go away, couldn't place the car into carwash mode. Pulling into the driveway, I pulled both paddles to go into neutral, and the car rolled backwards. So I figured we pull the car into the garage and leave it running and should be able to rotate the rear wheels to get the alignment equipment pointed towards the ground. With the car in the air, we attach one bracket, was able to rotate the wheel with some force to get the bracket vertically pointed to the ground, and when we repeated with the other rear hub, had to have someone hold the opposite wheel still to keep it from spinning in the opposite direction, and needed a bit more force to overcome the differential. What a hassle!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Finally got camber and toe adjusted. Speaking of which, I got a bunch of leftover camber shims. If anyone needs some, let me know. I had to wait awhile for these to arrive, so hopefully this can save some time for anyone that needs them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thanks btw for the feedback and ideas. Always great to have folks to bounce ideas and get suggestions while working on these cars!

Anthony