Dealership won't transfer registration for out of state purchase | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dealership won't transfer registration for out of state purchase

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by S.R, Jun 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Sales tax is paid based on where the car is registered, not where it's bought and as a NY dealer,we can process motor vehicle paper work in only some states-Mass. not being one of them.
    In others we issue what's called an "in transit" which expires in 45 days which gives you time to get your own plates in your state.

Lusso123 likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's correct. When I bought the car in Ohio I paid Ohio sales tax and then was given credit for that amount towards the Mass sales tax.

I'm guessing the reason you can't process in transit paper work for Mass is they don't issue temporary cardboard plates.

3. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Exactly.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Funny. I had a similar issue with a 66 corvette I have. DMV gave me a plate that had 65 at the end of it. Since 65-67' are so similar people thought it was some sort of vanity plate relating to 1965 and would always ask/say something about 1965...I finally got tired of the question and went with a vanity plate. 1st world problem ;)

Nospinzone likes this.
  5. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    what the dealer is describing is completely normal.

RyanFoH likes this.
  6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm sure there is a company you can get to do this for a fee. It's the hassle factor I hate. In Ga. you cant do it all on line - which to me is stupid.