812 replacement order | FerrariChat

812 replacement order

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by lamdr2018, Jul 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lamdr2018

lamdr2018 Rookie

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kevin Furman
    Hi everyone,

It's been a while. I almost purchased a 458 new toward the end of the model run, but just missed it. Been driving Porsche GT cars lately, which I I enjoy, but have considered adding a Ferrari to my stable for a while.

I love my 2019 Porsche GT3, but I live in the Rocky Mountains, where the altitude takes its toll on NA power. I drive an electric daily, and it's 500 ft lbs of torque has redefined how I look at the power of my GT3, particularly at altitude.

I'm now just getting back into considering a Ferrari and I clearly missed the recent 812 run. My Ferrari needs to be NA with more torque than my electric daily, and my GT3 would get the track work, so that brings me to an 812 which I would enjoy on weekend drives and road trips.

My question is this- What do I need to do to get on a list to be able to order my own 812 replacement ? (If that car isn't NA, I'm not going to get it). I would strongly prefer to custom order my own car, and not pick one up secondhand.

(I'm not a complete newbie to the issues of ordering uncommon cars. My GT3 was my third Porsche GT car, and I had play more games than I would like with my dealer to obtain my most recent GT3. With the newest 2022 GT3, it is insanely hard to lock down an allocation from any Porsche dealer, and I plan to stick with my current GT3, partially for this reason)

I expect that purchasing a used Ferrari at my closest dealer (Denver), would help, but is that enough? Does it matter if I purchase something in the same model family such as an F12? For the record, I have not yet owned a Ferrari.

BTW, how many miles away do you have to live from a Ferrari dealer before you are no longer obligated to only order new cars from them? I live just over 150 miles from Ferrari of Denver.

Thank you all for your thoughts

2. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Simple answer: walk into Denver dealership, buy a used 812SF, enjoy the hell out of it; order an 812GTS if they have an allocation, wait for 812 replacement if they don’t.

3. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Mike ward has a beautiful 812 in ‍♂️

4. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Great advice and exactly what i did here in the UK. Buying a new 812SF is a great experience but be prepared to suffer eye watering depreciation. Buying second hand with minimal miles with a saving of over 100k makes sense from a financial POV.

5. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No depreciation issues now. Pretty sure there are many more buyers than sellers at this point.

KenU and Thecadster like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    (For USA)Very few (not including salvage 812SFs) are offered or actually sold at 100K less than original price. There may have been a low point over a year ago where that might of been more common, but now, and for several months+, re-sale prices are generally increasing and available inventory is less than a year ago (about 65 cars now vs 100+ on auto trader website for USA)

The UK received a very large allotment of 812SF in a short time period and that abundance of supply did cause more havoc with resale; But I think in the long term it will be recognized as a gift from the Factory to ensure the last of the V12 (regular series) were made in RHD (and many non-GPF) and available in the UK, because, that's it, no more (other than 812GTS).

Thecadster likes this.
  7. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I would imagine you’ll be able to order an 812 replacement with no brand history. My 812SF was my first Ferrari, 0 brand history whatsoever, and I ordered it from the factory. Sure it was towards the end of the production run, but I didn’t have to buy other cars first.

My understanding is regular production cars you don’t need history, special series cars you do. Now if you want a regular production car at the front of the production run, that’s gonna be a bit different

LVP488, FerRrari, RamsHmb and 3 others like this.
  8. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    As long as the replacement is not a limited edition car (and nothing to make us believe it will be), you will be able to walk in and buy it. With regards to being tied to a specific dealer, I have never heard of this rule. Maybe it applies only in the US? Not even sure this is legal as you should be able to bring your business wherever you feel like. Free market thing.

9. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Haven’t heard this either and Ferrari of SF is closer to my house and I buy and service all my cars with Ferrari of SoV so i think you can buy from any dealer? I think stew said it well. Probably can walk in but you will be back of the line and easily bumped back further if someone w history comes in after and orders. I know I wasn’t the first order in on my for my SF, GTS or Roma but was allocated the first or the top 2 from my dealer and think my GTS and Roma were first stateside ….kind of regret it on the Roma as I had some teething issues. So it really comes down to how early you want it. The good old days of getting an early car and selling mid cycle for a profit are largely over so not sure that’s an incentive any more. With that said, love the brand and the cars are next level to Porsche. Love P cars and drive a taycan turbo s as a daily but the emotion and overall experience of a Ferrari is first amazing.

klinkman likes this.
  10. lamdr2018

lamdr2018 Rookie

Jul 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kevin Furman
    Thank you for your thoughts. I thought I read on here at some point that you are only free to purchase a ferrari from one of the dealerships that is within 200 miles of you, and you can't purchase from a dealer on the other side of the country if a ferrari dealer is located in your city. Maybe I misread that?

I don't need to have the first of the 812 replacements. I just would love to purchase v12 ferrari while they are still NA and to my own personal custom spec, ideally a convertible version. I ordered each of my 6 Porsches as custom new orders and would want the same for my first Ferrari.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Six or seven years ago when Ferrari made 5k cars/yr US dealers would not offer a new production car without history - except maybe a California. More recently it is like you say except numbered LE cars have a much higher requirement than Special series which some posted they received with no history.

12. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Six years ago, in 2015, Ferrari made 7'664 cars (not 5K). They made close to 5K back in 2004.

Marcel Massini

Solid State likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nothing easier than that, just order a 812 GTS.
    It is still possible.

Marcel Massini

14. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Do you know where it is still possible? My local dealer has indicated from one year ago they have not received any 812GTS allocations and when asked again this week they confirm no more allocations.

klinkman likes this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    True for the US, but that was,more like around the early to mid 458 days. I believe production around 2010 to 2012 was around 7k cars per year.

Anyhow, getting the 812 replacement should not pise a problem, but it is a very long way out. Would be surprised if a first time buyer got one before 2024.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Try and call around. As long as you are serious, that shouldn't pose a probmem.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That's informative. I thought that in 2013 they made around 5xxx cars. LdM was always quoted as getting back to 5K with increased exclusivity instead of where we are headed now with >10K. Mistake.