Ignition wires | FerrariChat

Ignition wires

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 550v12SABI, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Do you guys know where I can get a set of new ignition wires for 99 550. TIA

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Steve- Personally, I would do one of John Cribb's coil on plug conversions for about the same amount of money the plug wires will cost. Plus, since the COP plug wires only carry a timing signal to fire the coil and not primary current, they will tend to last forever.

3. 550v12SABI

550v12SABI Karting

Mar 29, 2012
    Long Island, N.Y US
    Full Name:
    Steve in NY
    Thank you Terry for getting back to me. I have decided to go with the OEM (maybe a mistake but my mechanic says so, LOL) another $2700.00 for the ignition wires with new LOOMS. Its just crazy money for everything. A set of brand new ignition cables for a $200k MB is just $400 but for a 17 year old Ferrari is an arm and a leg, well maybe both legs.
    All the best,
    Steve in NY

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Use the search function in the 550 section.
    Less than 100 $ to produce new cables with Beru parts (incl. the tool for pressing the connectors).
    Just about 3-4 hours of work when you do it the first time.

Daniel

5. user2006

user2006 Karting

Jun 29, 2006
    I made them myself for my 456GT with Beru-parts as well. Tool borrowed from workshop, a few hours of work. Cost less than $100 as mentioned by Daniel before.

6. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Thanks for the "plug" Taz; no pun intended :)

For those who are curious, my COP system cleans up the engine bay quite a bit, as well as looks a lot better than the old system. Those who are running it claim the engine performs better (their claims, not mine) and has a throatier, more purposeful exhaust note. And it allows you to "get at" and remove the plugs for cylinders 3 & 4, and 9 & 10 without dismantling half the intake system.

But for those who really want/need to keep their cars stock or stock appearing, the HT coil wires are the way to go. FWIW, however, the COP installation is easily reversible back to stock, and there are no holes to be drilled, nor any wires to be spliced or cut, etc. It's completely PnP.

7. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi John,
    Where is the info on doing the COP installation?
    -Jim

8. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

Jim, I send a 20 page installation manual with each setup I sell. It's a doddle to install, however. Most of the work is in taking the old setup off.

9. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    PM sent.

10. nettwerkjohn

nettwerkjohn Karting

Mar 6, 2015
    Waikawa, Picton 7220
    Full Name:
    John Phillips
    John, does your cop setup fit on a 456 as well?

11. Cribbj

Cribbj Formula 3

It'll definitely fit, but the early 456's and their ECU's used a different type of ignitor strategy than the later 5.2 Motronics, so the two main harnesses might need to be lengthened a bit to accommodate this. I'd really like to look at a local 456 to see exactly what needs to be done, but haven't found one :(

12. JJNino

JJNino Rookie

Dec 11, 2011
    California
    Full Name:
    JOHN NINO
    Hi John,
    Is your COP kit still available for the 550 Engine. Interested in going this route and would like to learn more about it. Thanks, Nino

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @JJNino Hopefully Jon will answer but I'm also going to send you a DM (Conversation) with a link to some info on it.

I think Cribb's/MSW solution looks like the cats pajamas.