Inconsistent Key Fob Performance | FerrariChat

Inconsistent Key Fob Performance

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Jul 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Hey gang, both of my key fobs (red & black) recently started to require me to hit the button multiple times whilst pointing at different parts of the car to work.

The fob light does illuminate every single time I press the button (I recently replaced both batteries) but I will not get the arm/disarm chirp until try 10 or 12 OR it will work perfectly after and chirp after one press (rare).

Has anybody ever had this happen ?

(2003M GTA)

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Is it just the siren chirp that is not working? Or the doorlocks, too?

Do you know if any of your fobs are cloned?

3. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Seems like your FOB's may have been replaced at some point in the car's life with a clone and not properly synced to the ecu. What happens is the alarm ecu has a rolling code, so if a cloned FOB is made and not properly synced, then it will be on a different rolled code than the others, thus every time you press the button it will try the next code one by one until it reaches the correct code to arm/disarm. But then the other FOB's will be out of sync and it's a never ending cycle.

You should send a message to @gobble , he's everyone's go to for FOB related issues. He fixed my entire system perfectly, very highly recommended.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Try removing the battery and pinching the contacts together so the battery makes better contact. Then, while pinching the contacts against the battery, spin the battery to remove any corrosion. It is possible to have enough contact to make the LED illuminate, but not enough to send out a signal.

Since everything worked fine before, spread contacts are a good bet.

Best idea is to contact Mark (Gobble) at ferrarifobs.com and trade in your old set of fobs for a new set that uses 2032 lithium watch batteries. Those batteries last 5+ years and range seems to be increased, too. Love my new set. Or sell your old set after buying a new set. Old sets with PIN bring about $350 bucks with no effort.

Qavion likes this.
  5. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Since the problem exists on both fobs it is not the fobs.
    You need to check the antenna on the immobilizer.

308 GTB likes this.
  6. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thank you for all of those inputs.
    The door locks do not work either (until the siren chirps). I suppose it is possible that my fobs were cloned somewhere along the line. As far as Gobble, yes we have communicated helluva guy but I believe there is a lot of programming to the new Gobble fobs (I will revisit this) when you get them back. I originally thought it was a a simple swap.

I was unaware of the Immobilizer antenna !? Where might that be ?

Oh and Taz, yes your advise cured my last immobilizer “episode” I will open it and give that a shot again. AND I just discover a new cooling leak ! Yay.

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My point is that, according to what you have said, since both fobs exhibit exactly the same symptoms the fault must lay elsewhere. I would first assume that the fob signal is not being received by the immobilizer. A quick search of "immobilizer antenna" mentions a red wire under the immobilizer on a 360.
    I have no knowledge of the 550 immobilizer but I would assume it's similar to the 360 so I would start my search there.

I realize the above is based on assumptions but isn't that what a diagnostic procedure is?

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/144774461/

Check the blue wire for possible loose connection, apply Detoxit to all Immobilizer connections then see if that cures the problem.

Amazon.com: DeoxIT 5% Spray Contact Cleaner, 5 oz.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It's a short piece of wire plugged into the Immobilizer ECU. The 456M experts should be able to help you find the ECU. The antenna is sort of held in place by some loose plastic clips, but it is possible that the antenna has slipped behind the ECU case and the case is blocking the signal.

Mirek likes this.
  9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    This is all the WSM has on the location:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

You can see that the antenna wire is curled around item 8. Is it under the driver's seat or rear passenger seat?

Hopefully someone has accessed these components in the past on your car as they are normally under a riveted panel.

10. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
  11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Dave/Ian I cannot thank you enough. Truly appreciated and I will report back.

I hope to have it sorted before we have it in the Concorso Italiano up in Monterey during car week next month.

12. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mirek- Reprogramming the Alarm ECU/Immobilizer to accept 3 new fobs is a 5 minute job. There are tons of videos on the subject, including a good one on Mark's site. And here is a document that explains how to do it with a checklist.

Attached Files: