Poll - does your Portofino or Cali Squeal like this? | FerrariChat

Poll - does your Portofino or Cali Squeal like this?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ohmygosh, Jul 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Does your car squeal like this?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. Sometimes

29.4%
  3. No

23.5%
  1. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Hi all,

My car is driving me up the wall with its squealing, despite having the pads refaced. I’m trying to decide whether to replace the pads at my own cost and whether it will solve this issue. My sense is that they are becoming glazed far quicker that you would expect so it’s unbearable.

Have a look at this video and I welcome your comments and response to the poll so we can put some data on it. I’ve had ceramics before and not experienced it this bad.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0hCsq7sQ_vivD9sJlA4F01tig#Hove

Thanks

2. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    2015 Cali T 7500 miles CC, zero brake squeal

ohmygosh likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Same here, 2015, 22k miles.

ohmygosh likes this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    How was the pads bedded? Give the Pagid RSC1 pads a try. Same shape as 458 pads.

I would also suggest that if you change the the pads, do the following. Remove the discs and clean the mating surfaces between the rotorhat and hub spindle. You can use some 600-800 grit sandpaper if there's a bit of corrosion.
    Then apply a thin layer of anti-vibration past such as this, CL450456
    Apply it to the spindle mounting flanges, apply it to the pressure points where the pistons contact the pads, and apply it to the edges of the pad backing plates where it contacts the spring and caliper.

This will dampen some vibrations.

Lastly here's a little trick a brembo tech told me to use when installing new pads. After you've installed the new pads and pumped up the brakes, do the following one caliper at a time. Loosen both caliper bolts 3/4 turn.have someone apply the brake gently. Then while the brake is applied you tighten the two caliper bolts again. This ensures that the caliper and pad is completely centered and parallel to the disc. Note that it is important that you have pumped up the brakes with all four new sets of pads in place before you do this final step! Tighten caliper bolts to 100 Nm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bill Phillips and ohmygosh like this.
  5. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    wow super advice thanks. I’m not sure as it was done by a main dealer. I’ve only had the car a few months. 2 years old, 5k miles. And it was squealing that when I collected it. They refaced the pads and it’s continued. Now they have washed the discs and done the pads again. I don’t have the car back yet but I’m concerned the issue will continue so wanted to check in with this community before I go back to the dealer. They still have the car.

They are telling me it’s ‘normal’ behaviour.

6. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    thanks so much if you can add your vote to the poll that would be great too.

7. russellmcg

russellmcg Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 3, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Russell McGuire
    I had a 2011 that did this, and it drove me up the wall. It was so bad I wanted to get rid of the car. I now have a 2017 that has zero noise when stopping. It seems that it is random on what cars sound like this. I feel your pain, though.

8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Do you have iron Brakes or CC? My 2013 has 19k miles on the original CC pads and rotors with no noise during the 2 years I’ve had it.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The Cali was never available with steel rotors. The last two cars to feature that was the F430 and the 599.

10. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    I should have said they are CC and it’s a Portofino.

11. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I owned two Calis, a 2010 and a 2012. Both had squeaky brakes. It is nothing you can fix. It just is a Cali thing. There are two temporary fixes that I eventually figured out. One, do about three or four ready hard braking runs, all the way to to kicking in the ABS. For me, this was good for about 150-200 miles squeak free. The second thing I realized from washing my car, if I got a lot of soap and water on the CC disks, it was also good for about 150-200 miles. Keep in mind, these are actually high tech racing braking systems that are designed for the stresses and heating of driving on the track. They never get up to those heat cycles with driving on the street, so, sometimes it is good to put some heat in them. Same goes for carbon build up in the engines. You need to run these cars to the redline often for a healthy engine.

ohmygosh likes this.
  12. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I wonder if there is some sort of ceramic disc washing fluid that helps with this.

13. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    The crazy thing, I own a 2009 Scuderia 16M, and those brakes never squeak. But, I don’t drive that car much, and when I do, it is pretty spirited driving. Also, the two Calis were both daily drivers. Lots of slow, start and stop, traffic on the way to and from work.

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    F12 and intermittent on this. I would say about 1/5 of stops.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    No. Washing with water does the same. Getting the dust off the disc is what mainly stops the squeal

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While these are carbon ceramic brakes, they are not race brakes. Yes some still use CCM rotors in racing, but most have moved on a long time ago. Also, like with race cars running steel rotors, what mainly determines whether these are street or race brakes, are the pads. The CCM setup used is very much a street setup.

The two main downfalls of these brakes in regards to noise is the following. First is the fact that Ferrari sticks to 25 year old CCM technology. They don't use CCB or CCST technology which is far superior to old school CCM brakes. Most of the rest out there uses much newer tech, and few aside from Ferrari is still using CCM rotors. Sad but true.

The other issue is the pads. Brembo still supply the pads with a compound developed over 20 years ago. The box may say Brembo, but the friction material is supplied by Textar which is under the Pagid umbrella, and is just cut at fitted to backing plates by Brembo. Look at the box with pads. It says T4300 on it. This is the compound which is an old and budget friendly version of what later was developed into the Pagid RSC1 compound.

Fit the car with a set of CCST rotors which is about as new tech as ceramic brakes get, use RSC1 pads, and you have brakes that are creamy smooth with zero noise. Or just drive a car like a Merc GTR or a Porsche. It is not CCST technology, but the CCB style rotors are still much better. Not a peep.

As much as I am a Ferrari enthusiast, brakes is the area over all else where Ferrari is decades behind and should be properly ashamed of themselves.

They grossly overcharge fkr brakes with sub-par performance and poor comfort levels. Best way around this aside from new rotors, are getting a better pad. Is that fix perfect? No, but it does help some.

Please,don't excuse it as being part of a performance brake setup. It is due to one thing, and one thing only. Ferrari being lazy and not giving a damn.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  17. Terry J

Terry J Rookie

Jul 11, 2021
    My 2017 squeals all the time. It sure if it’s the brakes or something in the front end. Typically happens when I’m braking lightly.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

695 likes this.
  18. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    I noticed when I push my California harder I have zero squeal and it stays that way for the rest of the drive. When driving gingerly the brakes definitely squeal more often.

695 likes this.
  19. odellicour

odellicour Karting

Apr 15, 2019
    Brussels
    Full Name:
    Olivier Dellicour
    Hope this helps
    Made by Porsche but pretty clear

MacNugget and 695 like this.
  20. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    This echoes my experience with my former 2013 Cali 30 ... when the brakes would start to squeal I would let them cool down and rinse them with water, and the squeal would go away for a while. This was an ongoing thing with that car.

However, on my 2015, they don't squeal and never have, and I only wash that car a few times a year (I don't drive it in the rain and it stays clean).

Both cars never had the pads or rotors replaced from the originals and I put 15k miles on the 2013 and 12k miles on the 2015 so far. So perhaps it's just luck with the pads they put on at the factory -- some slight difference in the batch that dusts more? -- or it more likely has to do with how they were bedded in or used/glazed over time since new. The brakes on the 2013 tended to be inconsistent for hard use -- I would brake hard with someone stopping short in front of me and wonder if I would be able to stop in time -- so perhaps it is just the bedding.

Bill Phillips likes this.
  21. 695

695 Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2021
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Chris
    My complained that it was starting to be embarrassing driving the Cali around town because of all the brake squealing, so just before she left today I tried rinsing the all four discs with squirt of water from the hose and she was one big smile when she came home, not one single squeal the whole day!

22. agricultoru

agricultoru Rookie

Apr 14, 2020
    Romania
    My Portofino squeaks like hell sometimes, to the point is completely embarrassing. I've had people shout at me at traffic lights: "Yo, you bought the car and now you don't have any money left to change your pads?" The car now has 6k miles, it has behaved pretty much the same since it was new. I can't really describe a pattern, but it never squeaks right after starting to drive. It especially starts to squeak after driving it harder on backroads that involve frequent braking, so I guess it happens when they get hot? At first I thought it was dust or sand in the brakes, but now I'm pretty sure it's not that, since it happened several times after driving on very clean roads with no debris.

The dealer said it's normal and I couldn't even show them, of course they didn't make one sound when I went there for my yearly service...

I've also tried the advice here: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=6446_6443
    It seemed to have helped, but I don't even know if it was what I did or just a coincidence. In any case, after a few days the brake squeak stared again... It's really annoying.