Salvage Ferrari into Canada- Recall Clearance Letter?!?! | FerrariChat

Salvage Ferrari into Canada- Recall Clearance Letter?!?!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Marcos Higgs, Aug 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Marcos Higgs

Marcos Higgs Rookie

Aug 6, 2019
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Marcos Higgs
    Hello,
    Ferrari won't supply a recall clearance letter for a salvage branded car that is brought into Canada.

I know however the RIV will also accept the following:

A printout from an American or Canadian dealerships vehicle service database. This document must be produced by an authorized dealer and not a reseller. You can confirm whether or not a dealership is authorized by visiting the manufacturers web site or by calling the manufacturers head office and providing them with the location of the dealership in question. The printout must also contain the 17-digit vehicle identification number, year, make and model of the vehicle and with no indication of an outstanding recall. RIV routinely forwards copies of these printouts to the manufacturer for authentication.

Has anyone had any luck getting a printout from a vehicle service database and used that to bring a salvage car over to Canada?

Thank you
    Marcos

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Never tried Ferrari, but I’ve gotten them from American dealerships, preferably one where the car had previously been serviced.
    Maybe make it a condition for sale in order to motivate the seller to obtain it.

You may also need pictures of the cars damage that had been repaired in order to register it in your province. As well as an inspection of the repaired damage...can be a big pain as they may need verification of frame measurements-the hard part is getting those OEM measurements to compare to.
    Good luck.

Marcos Higgs likes this.
  3. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

If the car has sustained flood damage, ICBC will not register it for British Columbia. You need to check what the importation requirements are (vehicle safety inspections, etc.) for the province you are looking to import into. Also consider taxation. I paid HST in Ontario when I bought the car and then had to pay PST in BC to register the car.

So, caveat emptor. I hope it is a sweet deal and wish you all the best.

Marcos Higgs and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #4 I'm 360 Canuck, Aug 11, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    Ya, flood damage can’t get registered in Ontario either.

I gotta say, the Ontario rules for registering a rebuilt car are really strict. The onus is on you to prove it was done right. I think that’s a good thing overall, and a pain for someone trying to make a fast buck. The problem is, the dealers dont have to cooperate with you, and can basically charge what amounts to extortion just for some basic info.
    When I imported Audi and dodge vehicles (neither were salvage), I had no trouble getting the recall letters. But it wouldn’t surprise me if Ferrari was less cooperative. My hunch is, they don’t take kindly to someone saving money by buying from someone else but them. Might come down to who you know.
    Hope this car is worth it. If it’s like a 3xx, I doubt it will be.

5. Marcos Higgs

Marcos Higgs Rookie

Aug 6, 2019
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Marcos Higgs
    Well some good news, I contacted Ferrari directly again at a different dealership and they will now supply the recall clearance letter for a salvage vehicle (at a price). Any recalls still need to be done by them however which is expected.

Flood vehicles any province are a no go, This vehicle needs most of the front end panels and one frame rail is bent and since it is from a salvage yard I have no access to records. Have a shop that will sign off on the frame integrity. Just have to pay through the nose for all the ridiculous duty/gst/pst taxes. I have imported a few cars so its exactly the same process but McLaren and Ferrari were notorious for not issuing the recall notice on salvage vehicles (even states it on the RIV site) but you are right depends who you call.

Will do a write-up once it is all finalized..

Thanks

Mimmo Blue and Gary Sandberg like this.
  6. Gary Sandberg

I feel your pain. To buy my car in Ontario then to move it to BC and register it cost amost 23% additional to the purchase price in taxes.

What model Ferrari are you looking to import, as I hope the expense is worth it?

7. NaO

NaO Karting

Apr 23, 2017
    That’s crazy. Not to mention not being able to shop quotes in bc either.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Gary Sandberg

Like it or not, that is the reality of governments wanting a piece of every transaction. The purchase taxes in Ontario were approx. 13% of the purchase price then in BC, the government wanted another 10% to register the car. Doesn't matter if the car is a Toyota or Ferrari.

9. Scater

Scater Rookie

Jul 18, 2021
    Full Name:
    Leo De Meo
    I’m in the process of registering a Rebuilt 348. It originated in California and imported in 2007 to Alberta. It was branded rebuilt then. Trying to get structural cert has been challenging. As mentioned above dimensions are difficult to get. Anyone have suggestions? I will be trying Mitchell’s this week. Another interesting point I completed five NMVTIS approved VIN searches for this car and only carfax indicated some kind of accident. Anyone have a similar experience? I’m trying to get to the root of what happened to this car.

10. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Depends on the year of the car. RIV is not required on cars 15 years and older. To import from the USA you will pay PST, GST, 6.1% import duty, air conditioning tax, gas guzzler tax and luxury car tax. Expect to pay 25-33% in taxes on top of the vehicle cost. You will have a very difficult time registering a salvage title vehicle in BC. Don't forget US customs want $500 to process the paper work.