330GTC in Delray Beach | FerrariChat

330GTC in Delray Beach

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Oengus, Jul 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Just moved to Delray Beach.......**** me its hot.
    Anybody ever added a/c to a 330GTC?
    Any thoughts on a portable unit?

Thx all
    chas

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Have you tried contacting Dyke Ridgley? he used to be 'the man' about GTC's when I was pedalling mine........Or Brian Browne in Berserkely? Patrick Ottis?
    Check out VintageAire too, they have systems for almost any aftermarket install. Biggest difficulty will be to make it fit cleanly into/under the dash and "look" factory-ish, or at least "period".....
    How about "salvaging" a unit from another 250/330 series car.......Tom Shaughnessy might know about something.........good luck; you both heat & humidity to solve!

Oengus likes this.
  3. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    I think you want at least the compressor from Vintage Aire. A scroll compressor vs piston type...

Oengus likes this.
  4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

yeah humidity's a concern also...

5. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I can take some pictures of the Sanden compressor I had installed in my GTC. I kept the old York and boxed it up. Also the AC/Delco condenser in front of the radiator. But as noted above the unit under the dash in the console will be the key.

Side note....250s didn’t have a/c. Nor did 275s. The 330s were the first model with the a/c option I believe.....

Oengus likes this.
  6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

yeah that be great

[email protected]

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

James do you have Dykes contact info?

8. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    CHAS, i would attempt a vintage air approach - they have AC figured out, matched components, also - i would highly recommend getting rid of the lucas cooling motors also and going with two pusher fans. Cooling for the water temp and the air flow for the condenser is critical, maybe a shroud will need to be built as well...

then the under-dash component will need to understood and designed to exit factory vents.........installing an orig system would not satisfy your cooling needs IMO.

We play with GTC's every day at my shop and my buddy shop, AC aspects are a big PITA.

RPM in vermont i believe made kits for this......did you check with them?

Oengus likes this.
  9. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I had modifications made to the A/C in my GTC. The aforementioned Sanden compressor AC/Delco condenser plus an 97 MB E-type blower motor helped significantly. It keeps me plenty cool on hot days once underway. Not so great at idle.
    And as you suggested I replaced the 3 blade Lucas fans with Spal fans used on 308s.

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

Ed Ill check rpm....thx Chas

11. JayEff

JayEff Karting

Aug 8, 2017
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John
    I put the 308 fans on my 330 GTC and it made a huge difference. I highly recommend it. I also changed the window lift motors to stock Ford, which made them a lot faster and more reliable.

tritone likes this.
  12. Cobraownr

Cobraownr Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2008
    Edgewater, MD
    Full Name:
    Donald Silawsky
    John/JayEff, could you post a part number for the Ford window lift motor you used, please, or the Ford model they are made for? Or does Ford use just one motor across many models? Improving the random up/closing of the windows in my 365 GTC (down/open works more reliably) would be nice. Thanks!

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    A previous owner put 308 fans on my 330GT. On the other hand, the windows move up and down about 10 times faster than those on my 308 which I have spent a lot of time trying to fix to no avail.

14. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Window issue may also come from the geared mechanism that the motor attaches to, the grease gets hard and gummed up, so it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
    Also make sure you have a good ground wire and the switches have been taken apart and the contacts cleaned.
    I would do those things first before the motor but while you are at it, you might as well. The motor is from a mid 60’s Ford product, it is for the station wagon tail gate window or the power vent windows. All this will make a world of difference.