Not many 3x8 for sale | FerrariChat

Not many 3x8 for sale

Discussion in '308/328' started by Irishman, Aug 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Don’t see too many 3x8 for sale. What’s up these days? Must admit I am a bit out of touch. Might as well blame that on the pandemic.

2. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    I agree. I've been on the hunt for a clean gtb (in any color but white), and the current offerings online (in the US at least) seem to be limited to pretty rough early models with very high asks.

3. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    GTB’s are kind of the holy grail of the US 308 market. My first Ferrari was an 84 GTB and if I remember correctly there were only 14 imported into the US in 84. I Think the most imported for any single year was something like 23? (referring to the Quattrovalvole model)

Sarc likes this.
  4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I think the 308/328 have reached the point where they're no longer the "entry" car -- the 360 is. The 3x8s are with people who want that car, not the badge. This means that ownership tenure is longer, with less turnover, and thus less for sale.

Also, selling a Ferrari is a pain in the butt in the best of times, and these aren't the best of times to allow strangers near.

Dane, DonB, Rosey and 3 others like this.
  5. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    I do have to remember that, which is why I have since broadened my search to consider just about any gtb that isn't bianco.

6. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    You probably already know this but Ferrari didn’t start rust proof coating (Galvanizing?) on 308 body panels until 1983 so watch closely for rust issues on earlier models. :) Search is half the fun!

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #7 sherpa23, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    What's interesting is that I believe your car was 49461 which was a 1984 but was the 2nd GTB built for that model year and didn't have the rust proofing. It started during the following month of production.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    +1

The hormone-fueled 15 year olds who watched Magnum p.i. have now just reached the age of maximum purchasing power.

I think it is true; the current owners probably have dreamed and planned for a long time. They did not buy their 308s on a whim like some initial owners may have done. Current owners bought a “keeper” car.

Dane, newark_308, Banzairacer and 7 others like this.
  9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Wow, had no idea. Thanks for mentioning that!:)

10. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #10 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Aug 10, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    R&T's first US QV test car in the Aug 83 isue was a B. Had a deep front airdam option too. I have always wondered what happened to that car because it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to identify. I mean it had to be one of the VERY first QV GTB's over here considering the test had to be done and written probably 3 months before the issue was published. I got mine at the Charleston, WV airport in late July that year when I was coming home from visiting my grandparents. So the test was in April 83? It would take about a month to get the car here from the factory after it was completed so assume Mar 83 manufacture date. Maybe (early) April at the latest.

How many red tan 1983 US QV GTB's with a deep front airdam built in Mar or earlier are there? That kinda narrows the field a bit doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if it is in the garage of someone reading this now who may not know it.

Brian Harper likes this.
  11. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    January 84

myronx19 and 308 milano like this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    So a December 83 and earlier 308 is suspect. Jan on is safe. Certainly by Feb.

So shop Feb 84 and later....

308 milano likes this.
  13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Yep. If I remember right, 49461 was December 1983 car and rustproofing wasn't actually done until Jan 1984 as Dr Tommy mentioned.

308 milano likes this.
  14. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If anyone sees a project 308 for sale (no engine needed, GTB preferred), let me know.

15. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It started in October or November 1983 for the 512BB, and in January 1984 for the 308s. No date or first chassis number given.
    If the car's date of production is end January 1984 or February 1984, you're good.
    (didn't saw Dr Tommy's post before posting myself, but we are in agreement; should someone want more precise information about the "Zincrox" process, please refer to the 288GTO presentation brochure, the process is described in detail here)

Rgds

308 milano likes this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    My 308 is a Jan build #50045. VIN plate has Jan 84 on it

According to the factory the completion date was Jan 30th so hopefully mine got the protection.

308 milano likes this.
  17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Its pretty easy to tell if you have Zink protection. at the front of the car - each wheel well section clean off the portion that the top or bottom wishbones are connected to the chassis. you should come to a green/gray color under the paint. use a scrubby, and some grease remover... I found that out when I was cleaning the car up on jack stands after I hit the carcass of a deer on a PA highway..... I just had years of gunk accumulated there along with some deer guts.....also you can check for the same color at the rear bulkhead cross member just before the front headers - by the fuel filter. or under the front where the access panel is for the proportioning valve - usually, that does not get too much gunk build up... but you can see the undercoating. the cars were dipped and baked. you may see some streaks as well.

308 milano likes this.
  18. Sarc

Sarc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    USA
    Really great information, all. I have been away in air-cooled land for some time and have just returned to the site. @sherpa23, you gave me some sage advice back in the early 2000s(!) regarding cycling and it's nice to see you are still here.

sherpa23 likes this.
  19. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
  20. c1ferrari

c1ferrari Rookie

Jul 1, 2013
    Location in video sure is familiar. Car with accoutrements presents well.
    I expect the new owner will be very satisfied.

21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Agree, the 360 is now the poor man's Ferrari... well that and the ever struggling Mondial's :) :)

22. Zeus

Zeus Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2007
    Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Lawrence
    #22 Zeus, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    The seller of that car claims that a "major service" (as opposed to a belt service) on a 328 is so simple that it requires only 3 to 4 hours of labor and about $250 in parts and the cost of both parts and labor is about $1,000. He claims he knows many competent shops that will do a 328 major for that price. And when challenged on that assertion he doubled down on his claim. What a joke!

23. c1ferrari

c1ferrari Rookie

Jul 1, 2013
    How about the 355's?

24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I have a saying about the 355, when asked why I didn't buy one: "I could afford to buy a 355. I wasn't sure I could afford to own one."

Also applies to the 458, now that I think about it...

308 milano, Irishman and Rosey like this.
  25. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    The worst is the 348.

Similar maintenance costs to a 355 (engine out for belts, etc) but you get a much, much less desirable car for all the effort.

lm2504me likes this.