How paint condition affects TR values | FerrariChat

How paint condition affects TR values

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Jay535, Aug 13, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    I’m really trying to work out how paint flaws, spot repairs and total resprays affect TR values. Is a chipped bonnet preferable to a repainted one? How about bumpers? Whole cars?

I’ve always felt that maximum originality is best, but it seems that some people don’t think twice about repaints.

Same goes for engines … is a clean, honest engine preferable to a repainted one with replated hardware?

A clean, honest engine is what I have. It shows its age. I’m not bothered, but if I thought it would enhance the car’s value I’d improve it.

Any thoughts?

2. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’d always prefer touch ups over a full respray if anything. It matters on collector cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I too agree that keeping as much originality as possible is most important for value. I absolutely HATE partial resprays, such as a front fender repaint, or a door repaint, etc...as they almost never match up. A full body respray to a high standard would be okay. It's a very personal decision as to when to respray or leave original with all the chips and road rash. Years ago I did fill-in / touch-up / buff-out all of the road rash on a TR and while the results were very good, it took a whole summer to accomplish.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I have no issues with anything including full re-sprays on cars with miles on them......after all they are.....wait for it.......cars. Museum pieces are a different story.

And one advantage is you can get a better than factory application these days....plus 30 years of even occasional sunlight dulls original paint.

5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    If you can detect partial or full resprays, it drops the value. If it is bad (easily seen) subtract 20k (last I heard) for a full respray. If it is nearly imperceptible…. little or no bondo…. minor sheet metal repair…. then, no worries unless it is being sold as a pristine car at top dollar.

Caution: bad paint usually means a poorly cared for car.

6. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    And in the engine bay? Repainted cam covers and intakes, replated fuel lines, etc. ….. or leave it clean and original?

I value patina myself, but if I’m honest, making money on this car in the long run is important to me, so I want to know what the market values. It wouldn’t be that hard to make the engine look brand new, but I don’t know if I should.

@carguy The car I bought has some poorly matched respray areas. Not sure what to do about it. I like that most of paint is original, and the mismatched spots are hard for most people to see most of the time. I’m happy with it as it is, but if I thought a full respray would increase its value, I’d do it.

I wonder if a wrap would totally destroy what original paint is left. I like the idea of having it both ways — flawless appearance with original stuff underneath (if the underneath stuff can be preserved under the wrap).

7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I like a clean engine compartment and under carriage. Body wise, I would not like a car that has been in a wreck, but re sprayed bumpers are no problem. I would rather have a car with a 8 /10 paint as apposed to a mask and spray respray! I hate overspray!!!

8. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    Should an engine be refinished as needed to keep it looking new, or is a clean engine that shows its age preferable?

9. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    Not long ago a full restoration was the goal for ownership of a worthy Ferrari. The pendulum has swung to where origionality is the key. At a Nationals years back a good friend of mine made the comment that anyone with enough money could have the impeccable California Spyder everyone was going ga ga over. The crowd was aghast. I lean towards the thoughts that a Ferrari is origional only once. Otherwise it should be considered more as a Bob Smith Coachworks or Motion Products Ferrari. My wife, an art conservator ,mentioned the most important value of art is how close it remains in its origional state. The lucky few who find a Ferrari in preserved yet able to be enjoyed condition has never been easy. Sunday night, after adult drinks, I must be bored.

Jay535 likes this.
  10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Jay, that's a personal preference . but I always assume if someone went to the trouble of refinishing the engine then money was not an issue and he probably fixed all the other little issues that need to be addressed on an engine out service. Things that should be done but not addressed in a quick down and dirty belt service.

11. MGJBLKTR

MGJBLKTR Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    MGJ
    80's single stage Ferrari paint isn't the best at 30 plus years old.....at least mine is difficult to work with. Personally I would not be opposed to a full respray as long as it was done right. At some point they will all need a respray.

Shark01 likes this.
  12. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    A respray done right is one thing (glass out, new weather stripping etc) is fine with me.

13. Jay535

Jay535 Karting

Mar 10, 2011
    Toronto Area, Canada
    Full Name:
    Jay Lebo
    It isn’t true that they’ll eventually all need a respray. That’s more a statement about the preferences of the market than the needs of the car, which is relevant, so thanks.

For me there’s satisfaction in knowing that, whatever the condition of the finish, Ferrari put it there. But opening an engine cover and seeing a showroom-perfect engine definitely gives the impression of $$$ being spent.

My particular curiosity has to do with preserving or improving the car’s value. I’d like to know the best way to do that, so personal preference isn’t the issue.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I just went to concourso Italiano in Monterey and my favorite car there is a 275GTB(I think) that has terrible peeling paint and cracking, but the engine is nicely cleaned up. So mechanically its perfect, but it is rough. My Testarossa has bad paint, thin spots in it, road rash, a dent and some scratches. It will probably stay like that, though I will clean up the engine compartment when it's time for belts.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk