BaT Renault Fuego 2.2 | FerrariChat

BaT Renault Fuego 2.2

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by 19633500GT, Aug 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    If you haven’t seen this yet, pardon my shameless plug as I am curating this sale (I work PT for Auto Technic, mostly for fun :)

beyond selling it though, the insane originality and rust free example was just too fantastic to pass up. It is actually quite fun to drive and I was hoping many would have stories about someone who owned one, or owning one themselves and it appears that happened! So many people have come by the shop and asked “UM is that a Fuego!?!?!?!”

what do you all think? Cool? Awful? Maybe the best left in existence? :D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-renault-fuego-2/

Attached Files:

2. kiesan

kiesan Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 21, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kie Robertson
    I think it’s cool and awful. Awfully cool? Lol. Agreed it must be the best one left.

What sort of work do you do for the dealer?

19633500GT likes this.
  3. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I do most of the vintage and fun car online auction sales

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A true story.
    Had great sex with an ex who owned one in the 80's.
    At the moment of ascending the peak she heard me yell Fuego and was not amused.

This car along with the subaru SVX and Izuzu Vehicross are show cars that got built

Thats a really clean example you have, probably one of one, whats the backstory to how it survived.

GuyIncognito and 19633500GT like this.
  5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    A US spec Fuego is even more amusing than a regular European one... Since the Fuego is essentially a rebodied Renault 18 it's far from a transaxle (which I understand as a rear gearbox, as in Ferrari Daytona or Nissan GTR) though; the Fuego is front engine / front wheel drive so the gearbox is directly coupled to the engine(with the clutch in-between obviously).
    The most interesting Fuego is the turbo, but I'm not sure it made it to the States.

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Being French I can’t like it because it’s a non turbo but those things were cool growing up;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    There were plenty of Turbo Fuegos in Canada initially sold in tandem with naturally aspirated 1.8s??(I think). The last of the breed like the car above had the tutu.;). A terrific shame the op car doesn’t have the fabric sunroof (umm, let me think about that…;)). Had an R18 wagon loaner for three months and it had the usual terrific ride and leather seats but bottom rung plastic everywhere. Had to assume the paint, trim and weatherstripping was applied by criminals one day out from the prison break. Nothing gave the impression it was going to avoid the crusher for long. We had quite a few customers with Renaults (they were popular around here), they were good business ;).

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think those are really cool. After high school, when I was looking to buy a car, it came down to the Fuego or a VW GTI. I drove them back to back, and the GTI was simply a better car in every way, both from a practicality point of view and more fun to drive. The Fuego would have been interesting, though, and this must be one of the best ones left.

The big sunroof that some of them had was really cool, but as a 35 year old used car, I can see that a non-sunroof version would be better.

Isobel likes this.
  9. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    The USA also got the Turbo Fuegos (a friend had one), and like all the turbo era 1980's cars from Chrysler we have to give thanks for them to François J. Castaing.
    In hindsight that was a very fun time, shortly after the 'malaise' era of Jimmy Carter sucky late 1970's US cars with their huge bumpers, cataclysmic perverters and under-200-horsepower 5.7L V8's!
    We chose the Dodge Omni GLH Turbo as the antidote for those times, and eventually had the best variant of that breed...the 1986 Shelby GLH-S.

Thanks for the memories :cool:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Isobel likes this.
  10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I thought all Fuegos in the US were turbo? Apparently not... it's been a long time!

I distinctly remember turbo lag in the one I drove.

11. sca037

sca037 Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2009
    Northville, MI
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If it was actually a non-turbo Fuego, the lag was......forever :D

Both versions were sold in the US.

330 4HL likes this.
  12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I always liked that era Renault styling. I got my mother to buy a 18i for wich she never forgave me :) Honestly the 18I she had made it to over 200,000 miles before she sold it and used the same motor as the Fuego non turbo. The 2.2 motors they sold in the US later were horid and liked to blow out head gaskets every 50,000 miles or so.

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m