car design thread | Page 503 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Interesting. Last night several of my design pals and I were watching the parade of cars in the Woodward Cruise. We were in agreement that the Mustang has been consistent and has evolved it's look. We're all disappointed in the Camaro & the Challenger.......:rolleyes:

I NEVER thought i'd say I preferred a Mustang over it's competition, but there you have it.

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    My biggest problem is all these cars are too damn big (yes, I've moved on from wheels). Put a new Camaro up against the original to see what I mean.

anunakki, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes they all suffer from 'middle age growth' and not for the good

anunakki, of2worlds and Texas Forever like this.
  4. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam and Texas Forever like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Friend of mine said: Lets use up all the parts in those boxes in the garage. Then went on to say he would have enjoyed riding in it last night.:rolleyes::eek:

6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    What cars do designers drive?

WHEELS

The Dream Cars of the Car Designers
    Saturday mornings are for celebrating stylish sheet metal in the parking lot of a storied hobby shop in metro Detroit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The weekly “Parking at Pasteiner’s” draws Detroit’s car cognoscenti and their enviable toys.Credit...Paul Stenquist
    By Paul Stenquist

Aug. 19, 2021
    DETROIT — What do the men and women who design cars drive? What kind of machines do sheet-metal artists park in their garages? A recent Saturday morning at Pasteiner’s Auto Zone Hobbies on Woodward Avenue in metro Detroit provided some interesting answers.

Pasteiner’s is a meeting place for car lovers of all types, but automotive designers have a strong affinity for the smallish store and its parking lot. That’s true in large part because the owner, Steve Pasteiner Sr., created cars for 23 years in Buick and Chevrolet studios, achieving assistant chief designer status. After calling it quits, he opened the store, offering an abundance of automotive books, magazines, models and car-folk camaraderie.

“It was almost a selfish thing,” Mr. Pasteiner, 79, said. “I needed a place to go after retirement.”

So did his fellow automotive stylists — the people who doodled cars while the teacher thought they were busy completing lessons and grew up to design cars in the studios of Detroit’s Big Three and for other carmakers worldwide. And every Saturday morning, many of them drive their favorite rides in for the weekly “Parking at Pasteiner’s” event, where they display their machines, renew acquaintances and pay homage to Mr. Pasteiner, the Pied Piper of Woodward. This Saturday is the Woodward Dream Cruise, billed as the world’s largest one-day automotive event, so Pasteiner’s will be a focal point.

The Helldorado, a Cadillac-based sports car created by Mr. Pasteiner.Credit...Paul Stenquist

He built this “Road Warrior”-style machine on a Jeep chassis.Credit...Paul Stenquist
    Kip Wasenko, a Pasteiner’s regular, is a retired designer whose 40 years with G.M. included a long list of achievements. He worked on the Cadillac Evoq concept car, which was judged best of show at the 1999 North American International Auto Show in Detroit and earned him and his creation an invitation to a design exhibit in Milan. As design director for Cadillac, he created the first of the brand’s heralded “art and science” automobiles and styled the Cadillac that raced at Le Mans.

Daily business updates The latest coverage of business, markets and the economy, sent by email each weekday. .

Mr. Wasenko is inspired by the automobiles of Italy.

“Art is such an important part of Italian culture,” he said. “Going all the way back to the 1930s, Italian design has consistently been more advanced, more beautiful.”

His love of Italian design plays heavily in his pride and joy, a nearly flawless 1970 Ferrari Type L Dino 246.

But on weekends she drives a ’99 Mazda Miata racecar in the StreetMod class of the Gridlife Track Battle series. Although StreetMod machines race on tires meant for the street, they are heavily modified. Ms. Jean’s car generates 360 horsepower at the wheels.

“Racing influences what I draw,” she said. “I know what works well on the track; that influences the ideas I put on paper.”

Jon Albert designed cars for 32 years in Detroit studios and taught design at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. He now serves as lead designer at Murray Design, a marketing and design company. He developed a fondness for British sports cars at an early age when he was given an MG TF toy car. Shortly after retiring from full-time work at G.M., he bought a 1946 MG TC. A home-market car, it sports the original running gear and the classic large headlights that U.S. import models lacked.

“American cars from the ’60s give you a feeling that you can get away with anything,” Ms. Peters said. “I try to bring that feeling of excitement and energy to my design work.”

Buck Mook worked on 47 design projects in a 30-year career with Ford. A car guy to the core, he owns 28: The oldest is a 1903 Michigan, and there is at least one automobile from every decade that followed. The car that most influenced his work is the 1963 Studebaker Avanti.

“When I was a kid, I fell in love with that car,” Mr. Mook said. “I first saw it in Time magazine. It was shocking in how different it was.”

Bob Boniface, global director of design for Buick, with his Alfa Romeo Junior Zagato 1300. It is said to have inspired the Honda CRX.Credit...Paul Stenquist
    His admiration for Italian makers extends to engineering as well. “The Italians built machines that were like no other vehicles of their time,” Mr. Boniface said. “Beautiful aluminum castings, brilliant engineering solutions.”

He added that in the 1950s, G.M. looked to the Italians for inspiration — the ’55 Chevrolet’s Ferrari-look grille is a classic example. But the Italians looked to G.M. as well. The Lancia Aurelia America is an Italian classic, and the European designers borrowed wraparound windshields and corsair bumper design from their U.S. counterparts.

A bit of international give-and-take.

Attached Files:

375+, Tenney, Texas Forever and 5 others like this.
  7. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    couldnt agree more

of2worlds likes this.
  8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    375+, Tenney, Qvb and 1 other person like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    a 'greenhouse' the Camaro can only dream of! :cool:

10. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    I've often thought that the plexi "grille" would make a good option for EV "face" -

anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Sorry for the NYT article. It wouldn’t let me post all the photos and it removed some of the article.
    Not being a subscriber, that’s all I could copy.

12. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Ripe for a chop and a brace of bubbles ...

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Pendulum swung too far in the other direction.:rolleyes:

of2worlds likes this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I saw one in Gold parked on the street in Genoa, it stopped me in my tracks.

of2worlds, anunakki and jm2 like this.
  15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Building upon the recent post of complex design and ugly design, the WSJ posted this yesterday. Ugly is 'in' and they're proud of it! Getting noticed is preferable to good taste or design.

How Ugly Shoes Won (and Why They Keep Getting Uglier)

Extremely weird Crocs, Yeezys, Nikes and Balenciaga sneakers were only the beginning. Shoes keep getting more casual—and more unsightly. Here, a unisex guide to the bizarre kicks that are growing more popular each season.

CURIOUS KICKS Weird shoes of all shapes, styles and colors—from black Givenchy sandals with protruding spikes to green Bottega Veneta heels with unsettling embellishments—have become increasingly popular during the pandemic.
    By
    Aug. 21, 2021 12:00 am ET
    IN THE SHOE market, weirdness has won. Take a spin through a department store’s footwear floor and you’ll find a buffet of bizarre high-fashion shoes like a Bottega Veneta women’s $1,250 blocky wedge heel with red, chicken pox-like specks or J.W. Anderson’s unisex $645 leather mule with a gigundo Mr. T-esque gold chain across the front.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS
    Do you opt for beauty or comfort in your shoes? Join the conversation below.

It’s not only high-end designers that have come down with a case of the weirds. Approachable retailer Zappos.com offers $65 platform Crocsin a zesty zebra print and $120 clementine-orange, hefty-soled Hoka One One running shoes. “There is a real appetite for color, pattern and interesting fabrication,” said Catherine Newell-Hanson, the site’s style director. Shoes, she continued, have become “a safe space for people to play around with a more outlandish expression of personal style than they might in the rest of [their] outfit.”

There are precursors to this trend—like Margiela’s cloven Tabi boots, which debuted in 1988—but the weird-is-good movement has truly erupted over the past half-decade. It’s been gaining ground in the pandemic, as WFH freedom to experiment away from co-workers’ critical eyes has coincided with a drive toward comfort at any cost. In 2017, the launch of Balenciaga’s bulbous, pre-weathered Triple S sneakers set a new standard for intentionally ugly designer shoes. Meanwhile, frumpy Crocs and Birkenstocks were being recontextualized as beloved, even covetable, shoes, a trend spurred by collaborations with stars like Justin Bieber and luxury brands like Jil Sander, respectively.

COMFORT IS NO FAIRY TALE If Cinderella were alive today, she wouldn’t suffer in foot-pinching glass slippers. A thoughtful prince would outfit her in these comfy but crazy-looking Keen sandals.
    ILLUSTRATION: RENE MILOT
    The forces of casualization have made office footwear like shiny dress shoes and chaste heels—once a crucial adult investment—increasingly irrelevant. It’s now acceptable to wear startlingly informal shoes daily. “The more outrageous [the shoe], the better,” said Jessica Pridgen, 37, a graphic designer in Raleigh, N.C. She owns a multitude of statement shoes including Bottega Veneta boots with a globular toe and stacked-sole Nike sneakers made in collaboration with Japanese label Sacai.

The pandemic accelerated the trend, said Ms. Newell-Hanson of Zappos. Free from the strictures of an office, work-from-homers began purchasing diverting shoes. It’s hard not to smile (or smirk) at a pair of wacky tie-dye Crocs or furry purple Marni mules. Who didn’t need that his year? And when your only daily excursion is a brisk dog-walk or an efficient march though the grocery store, function trumps formality: All you really need is doughy gray New Balances or springy Keen mules.

Footwear fanatics also reach for anomalous shoes to differentiate themselves. “I don’t like to wear what everybody wears,” said Rashida Rogers, 28, a warehouse stocker in Wichita, Kansas. A recovering sneaker collector who hoarded Nikes as a teen, Ms. Rogers now wears niche shoes like lemony Kappa insulated slippers (imagine a sleeping bag for your feet) and blueberry-tinged Asics sneakers. Brands are rolling out exponentially more-extreme shoes to give cool-hunters like Ms. Rogers something new. Strange sole shapes. Garish color schemes. Brands are getting “more and more extreme,” in an almost competitive manner, said Beth Goldstein, an industry analyst at the market-research firm NPD Group. From bulky pre-distressed sneakers to fuzzy mules, there’s an outlandish shoe for everyone.

STRANGE IS THE NEW CHIC
    A comprehensive breakdown of appealingly odd footwear for all sorts of tastes and occasions.

Clockwise from top left: Runner Sneaker, $1,090, Balenciaga, 212-328-1671; Run Star Motion, $120, converse.com; ZoomX Vaporfly Next% x Gyakusou, $300, nike.com
    Sneakers
    Balenciaga, the French forefather of the ugly-comfy sneaker movement, continues to iterate on hideousness with its latest shoe, the drab, slashed-up Runner sneaker. But now luxury rivals including Burberry and Gucci offer their own bulbous and bold “dad” shoes in patterns like camo and reptile skin, respectively. Down the budgetary slope, Reebok, Converse and Nike are whipping up shoes that are extreme in color, silhouette, or both at the same time. Made in collaboration with Japanese designer Jun Takahashi, Nike’s line of shapely Gyakosu running shoes comes in startling colors like cherry red. Converse’s recent Run Star Motion is a clean and classic Chuck Taylor, updated with a gigantic toothlike sole. Overall in the sneaker department, “soles have gotten bigger,” said Ms. Goldstein of the NPD Group. These squishy, pumped-up shoes make an aesthetic statement as well: “Comfort has become a lot more fashionable,” said Ms. Goldstein.

Clockwise from left: Fussbet Clogs, $790, marni.com; Slide Chain Loafer, $645, jwanderson.com; Classic Animal Print Clog, $60, crocs.com
    Mules
    “Mules are definitely my favorite piece of footwear right now,” said Alvi Zaman, 26, a restaurant manager in New York. Mr. Zaman has spent the past year loafing around in rubber Gucci clogs and alien-looking split-toe Suicoke mules. The pandemic—and its world-shrinking effect—led people like him toward mules as a relaxed shoe for lounging at home or venturing on a two-block jaunt. Mules can be madcap in design, speaking to the shape’s increasing role this summer as a splashy out-on-the-town statement. There are foamy Crocs available in a slew of screeching patterns like leopard print, camo and tie-dye. But, perhaps due to Crocs’s influence, every self-respecting designer brand now also seems to offer its own sprightly backless creation, from Louis Vuitton’s monogram mules to Marni’s furry slip-ons, which could be mistaken for a Muppet.

Clockwise from top left: Marshmallow Slider, $850, givenchy.com; Keen Uneek Trainers, $124, matchesfashion.com; Flatform Universal Rainbow Pride, $70, teva.com
    Sandals
    Not even the beach is safe from the strange-shoe explosion—brands offer a cornucopia of extreme rubber slides and unnerving outdoor-appropriate options. Grown-ups who were once Hot Topic shoppers might covet Givenchy’s devilish black sandals with metal spikes, while jollier vacationers would prefer Teva’s tottering five-colored platforms. Those beefy sandals have been “a huge hit” on Zappos, according to Ms. Newell-Hanson, as customers seek ostentatious shoes that won’t murder their feet. Wanting to be both comfortable and “attention grabbing,” Ms. Rogers of Wichita took to wearing sandals with socks several days a week this year, intrepidly pulling off combos like doughy pink Adidas slides with yellow socks. Ms. Rogers also wears spongy, big-strap sandals by Keen, one of several function-first outdoorsy labels (others include Merrell and Salomon) that have lately been reframed as truly—if not always intentionally—fashionable.

Clockwise from top left: Square Toe Loafer, $520, martine-rose.com; Sandals, $2,650, bottegaveneta.com; Raf Simons Solaris Snakeskin Effect Boots, $721, farfetch.com
    Dress Shoes
    The formal shoe market, still viable despite the comfort movement, lags behind slightly when it comes to spicy innovations: Most people seem content to let their freak footwear fly on weekends. Still, designers are taking stabs at experimentation that might send colleagues running at your next business meeting. For men, British designer Martine Rose offers squared-off loafers that look like a truck ran over them and flattened their toes. Bottega Veneta has mastered the art of the high-wattage women’s heel with oddly embellished pumps in neons and oil-slick leathers. Ms. Newell-Hanson of Zappos has observed a jump in sales of formal, going-out shoes recently, and said that more-extreme models have a “visual optimism” that telegraphs joy. After interacting through screens for so long, “people want to express themselves.” For some, that manifests in futuristic, snakeskin-effect boots with curious yellow-and-black heels by Raf Simons.

In Defense of the Objectively Pretty Shoe
    By Rory Satran

I divested myself of my last pair of Ugly Shoes in a shady transaction in front of Manhattan’s the Bowery Hotel in 2011. Purchased in the afterglow of a particularly oohed-about runway show, the chunky black Chloé boots with five-inch platforms had cost roughly a month’s rent. The problem was, they were hideous. They made my feet look like blocks of cement. In them, my gait became labored and loping like a minotaur’s. So I was delighted when a stranger bought them from me via eBay, and even saved me a trip to the harrowing East Village post office by offering to meet me on the street.

Walking down the Bowery 5 pounds lighter with significant cash in my pockets (this was pre-Venmo), I vowed to break up with trendy, heinous shoes forever. From the first Ugly Shoes I bought—Doc Martens printed with fruit (why?!) in seventh grade—they had been a way to pledge tribal alliance to groups I wasn’t even sure I wanted to join. Only in the safe bosom of a clique could one feel confident wearing lumpy-soled Simple sneakers à la Larry David, as I did in the ’90s, or the cloven-toed Mary-Jane Nikes I wore to kick around my college campus. Alone, one looks ridiculous in these supposed coolness signifiers.

Black Suede Kitten Heel Maysale Mules, $745, manoloblahnik.com
    So after ejecting the Chloé boots from my closet I doubled down on the Pretty Shoe par excellence: Manolo Blahniks. Though I’ve flirted with the brand’s archetypal BB stiletto, its quirky Maysale mule (pictured), and its extravagant Hangisi (thanks, “Sex and the City”), I’ve landed on the barely-there, minimalist look of the Susa sandal, in both flat and kitten-heel versions. With its slim leather straps and delicate shape it just...looks nice. Jane Aldridge, the Dallas blogger behind Sea of Shoes, said that a Pretty Shoe must “flatter the foot and Manolo kind of perfected that.” She continued, “It’s never going to go away because it looks so good.”

I’m too...let’s say “experienced”—and that’s not a euphemism—to want my shoes to look anything but good, I guess. Except for Birkenstocks. Those don’t count, right?

The Wall Street Journal is not compensated by retailers listed in its articles as outlets for products. Listed retailers frequently are not the sole retail outlets.

Texas Forever, anunakki and energy88 like this.
  16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    I was just thinking about appealing and gaudy design in tennis shoes yesterday. I also noticed this trivial fact about manufacturer logos involving Brooks and Nike... And there was a law suit over it.

jm2 likes this.
  17. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This is what we have been talking about for years now. Doesnt matter if its cars, shoes or film design. Ugly and overwrought is in now.

JCR, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  18. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Back when I was in the homebuilding biz, we would follow shoe trends in SoCal. Shoes to clothes to furniture to cars to houses.

of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The shoe designers used to tell us that car design trends influenced them. Go figure.:eek:

energy88 and Texas Forever like this.
  20. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    When I was in college, my wife said the cars I designed looked like shoes :(

21. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    :rolleyes:

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Endless loop.

Seriously, I can look at at home and tell you within five years when it was built. The economy goes south, dark earth colors. The economy goes north, bright sunny day.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

of2worlds likes this.
  23. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    A bit of truth to that.
    Nike cranked these smooth gliders out in the early '80s and a pair was just spotted on eBay. While the setup accounts for an undeniably intriguing go from the Swoosh, what may be even more interesting is that some lucky individual scooped these up for an easy $28 — talk about trophy-case status. But even though you may have lost out on the rollers, the images themselves are pretty sick.

buenavides1, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Defender & Daytona: what do they have in common? Answering your questions 5) | Niels van Roij Design
    More on the Ferrari homage vehicles