Spa 2021 - The Pre-Race thread - Summer break is over! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Spa 2021 - The Pre-Race thread - Summer break is over!

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Aug 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Who's suspension??? Alonso's?? or Grosjean's??

2. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    They use a different dartboard now.

Bas and AtSomePoint like this.
  3. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Okay.. maybe I'm just remembering this wrong. Didn't Grojean receive a race suspension/ban due to that crash? I just remember the commentary was that the stewards took into consideration that he took out the top contenders as part of the decision making process... although now... Masi clearly stated that despite Lewis being in the wrong and despite Bottas being in the wrong... the penalties are NOT derived by the results of the mistake even though those mistakes had dramatic and beneficial impacts to both championships. I'm just wondering if there was an official change in policy between then and now.

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    using computer models the teams know exactly when they will lap someone and the % chance of winning. why cant a computer levy the penalty after it determines the corner entrance speed and position on track if an accident results. ie. hamilton receives a proper penalty(for example only:p)

Bas likes this.
  5. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    As I recall Grosjean had a few incidents that season, Spa was the last straw.

E60 M5 likes this.
  6. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Correct on the race ban re: Grosjean at Spa in 2012.

Regarding the penalties, there are inconsistencies when you have different race stewards at every race.

Bas likes this.
  7. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    August 25, 1991, Michael Schumacher started his first Formula One race, the Belgian Grand Prix… He qualified an amazing 7th on the grid. Unfortunately, a clutch problem took him out on the first lap. But, the legend had begun . . . .

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bas, Hocakes, stavura and 2 others like this.
  9. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Must be the budget cap.

stavura, 375+ and ingegnere like this.
  10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Don't know if the question has already been raised elsewhere in another thread or not, but...
    Can somebody here enlighten the old fart that I am?
    After the Hungarian Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton was so knackered that he said (I quote) "he feared he might have long Covid"...
    Well, one month later: does he, or does he not?

Rgds

stavura, furoni, fil and 1 other person like this.
  11. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    He posted nothing in his Instagram during the summer break, he has been off the grid and there has been no mention of his health, we will find out today if he says anything.

12. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Nothing from multiple world champion on having long Covid after the race.

Bas likes this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Drama queen.

Bas, stavura, fil and 4 others like this.
  14. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    He’s waiting to see how the practice sessions go before “creating” his narrative around this; if the Merc goes well, he and Dodo will play up the “yeah, the car’s good but, you know, the long Covid thing is a concern.”

If he’s slower than Max, he’ll just blame the Covid.

:p

^^ +1 on the drama queen assessment.

stavura, furoni, Nortonious and 6 others like this.
  15. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Well he did arrive at Spa…..I’m trying to determine if it is warm or cold there. Perhaps he still has chills……. I know that the get up gives me chills and nausea all the way across the Atlantic…..

16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That "grunge-urban" outfit sure is different.

Nortonious and E60 M5 like this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Shabby homeless look:eek:

stavura, Nortonious, fil and 3 others like this.
  18. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    +1 You can have all the money you wish for but you cannot buy style and finesse, clearly he doesnt have the latter:)

stavura, Nortonious, fil and 3 others like this.
  19. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
  20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    he'll play that card at any time from now till end of the season. If he loses the title, it was because of ''long covid''. If he wins, it was despite ''long covid'' (oh and of course a terrible car).

ingegnere, Nortonious and fil like this.
  21. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    looks like he's ready to glue himself to the road to fight weather happening.

Nortonious and fil like this.
  22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #73 itschris, Aug 26, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
    I'm talking more about a fundamental shift in outcome vs. action. When asked about the ridiculous and meaningless penalties given in the Mercedes incidents... especially considering how they literally reversed the championships into a meaningful lead for Mercedes, Masi stated that the penalties DO NOT take into account the outcome of the action. So in other words... it doesn't matter what the result of your mistake was, i.e., whether it causes someone to may just lose a place or if you take out all of your main rivals and change the course of the championship... the penalty will be the same.

In 2012 with Grosjean, this is part of what the stewards stated as the reason behind that suspension from what I could find on a quick search and seems to align with what i remember at the time:

"...The Stewards regard this as an extremely serious breach of the regulations which had the potential to cause injury to others. It eliminated leading championship contenders from the race..."

That's a completely different mentality from what Masi is saying today. I'm not asking about why in one case there's a 5 second vs. 10 second grid penalty. My question is: In 2012, was the methodology officially different than it is today? Because looking at this current situation with either Bottas or Hamilton, there was clearly "potential to cause injury to others" (i.e., hitting the wall at 51gs and secondly "eliminating leading championship contenders from the race" (i.e., Max twice) which was true in both cases and.. .in both cases the stewards did find the Merc drivers at fault.

ETA: Just to be clear... I'm not a Lewis or Merc hater at all... I think my history of posting here supports that, but I find both incidents absolutely ridiculous. I'm not saying they were on purpose or part of any large conspiracy or anything like that, but I just feel in both cases, the penalties were ridiculous and completely disproportionate to other infractions like a DQ for Vettel. My attitude towards either case would've been the same if the teams and drivers involved would have been reversed or different altogether. So from the standpoint of being a fans for many years... I'm looking to figure out if rules regarding penalties were officially different back then vs. today... because still... the results make no sense to me.

jgonzalesm6, fil and 375+ like this.
  23. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania

A contrast in styles and generations...