Should concours periodically update what year cars can be in their show? | FerrariChat

Should concours periodically update what year cars can be in their show?

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by bitzman, Aug 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I remember going to car shows in the early 1970s driving my Olds 4-4-2 to get there. The most "modern" car at the typical car show was usually a 1957 T-Bird in time capsule condition. Most restorations were either Model Ts and As or grand Packards and Cadillacs.

I remember thinking that cars like my 4-4-2 had grown so complex with thousands of small parts that it was becoming too expensive and time consuming to even think about restoring contemporary special interest and muscle cars. Boy, was I wrong! Wish I had had the wisdom back then to keep that 4-4-2 as a survivor car.

3. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    It’s the difference between a Concours and a Cars & Coffee

4. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Depends on the focus of the concours event.

Some specialize in pre-war, post-war, modern, etc. Always good to look at their websites
    to see what their emphasis is as they nearly always have a different theme from year
    to year.

The lines begin to blur when events are seeing the same cars year-in, year-out. The major
    ones (like Pebble Beach or Amelia Island) have a 5-year moratorium in place for cars
    that have been in their events previously.

So, even in our case like the Miami Concours, the focus is post-war modern, exotics and
    collectibles. And, in our first year, a pre-war BMW 328 Roadster won BoS. No one really
    made anything of it fortunately as the emphasis is more on the fun aspect and the winner
    was more than happy to have his car at the event the next year when Chopard requested
    it be on display their Millie Miglia livery on it.

As pointed out, it comes down to what makes the cars special. The Cars & Coffee events
    are making things difficult in that regard for local events as they have these deals every
    weekend it seems and then the images are splashed all over Instagram and the Internet
    and we have had to turn down entrants due to this.

However, we are in the fortunate position to be able accommodate the C&C guys, owners of
    replicas and "continuations" by offering them the ability to park their cars in a large area and
    away from show central of the Miami Design District called Jungle Plaza. And, while they're
    not eligible for concours judging and prizes, their cars are in an unofficial display area, they may
    arrive and leave anytime they want, they still get full access to the event just like an entrant so
    they're happy.

So, to say for a concours to be a concours, it must be A, B or C, and meeting all this criteria,
    these days there's so much competition, events can't be pigeon-holed anymore. You need
    look no further than Amelia Island creating a SuperCar class (which they previously thumbed
    their noses at) and Pebble Beach this year allowing huge displays of Porsche 917s and
    Lamborghini Countachs on the lawn, that's never happened there before, guaranteed.

BHW