458 - Pirelli P-Zero Catastrophic Tire Failure on Highway in 458 *photos* | Page 3 | FerrariChat

458 Pirelli P-Zero Catastrophic Tire Failure on Highway in 458 *photos*

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Aug 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shermanator

Shermanator Karting

Aug 31, 2018
    SoCal, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sherman Gregory
    Just throwing in my $0.02 worth here, but to me this looks like a classic run flat failure. It is very interesting what Il Co-Pilota's friend at Michelin said but a key might be "unless the tyre was almost flat". I am thinking that the tire was completely flat or nearly so. I have seen sidewall tears like this when someone tried to limp home with a flat tire. With low profile tires it is not easy to feel a flat.

This brings us to the TPMS. With low profile tires we depend on TPMS to tell us when we have a flat tire. If the TPMS was not working or not seeing this tire, there should have been a warning on the display. Was there? If it was working, was there a low pressure warning? After the failure, was there a TPMS warning on the display? Are the TPMS warnings logged so that forensic analysis can be performed?

I think that with the screw in the tire, it is going to be very hard to get Pirelli to warranty the tire or pay for the damages. Even if it is not the true cause of the failure, they will claim that it is.

Mikael-F360, Gh21631 and Need4Spd like this.
  2. AClark

AClark Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    USA
    FWIW regarding the TPMS , when sensors stop reading, there’s a very noticeable audible and visual warning on the left screen at start up every time.

OP , thank you for staying engaged in this thread, it’s intriguing to see how it plays out.

A

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    Not sure if the dealer has anything to do with it. Car was sold with tires with a fresh DOT (within 3 years of date of manufacture) and in good visible condition, so they have done nothing wrong and can't be hold responsible for such thing.

On my 458 I had Michelin PS 4S tires and I must say, that this is absolutely the best tire available for street use, which is also perfect for track use as well.

Gh21631 likes this.
  4. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The dealer where I bought the car expectedly refused to do anything and told me the tires were inspected prior to delivery and they can’t be responsible for what happens after it leaves their dealership.

Regarding inspection of the tire, there were no pictures or anything identified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I have a set of Kumho PS91 tires being installed tomorrow. I’ve read reviews and they seem to be popular on Aventadors and Gallardos with good reviews, so I’ll report how I like them and how they compared with the Pirelli’s.

Unless the Kumho PS91’s are total garbage, I’ll keep them for the next 5-7k miles (about 5-7 months for me!) and then put on Michelin’s.

6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Irrespective of the tyres being in date acceptance buying a second hand car even with low mileage but capable of 315 kms plus i would have looked at the tires really good. Especially to see if there were any signs of tracking.

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Public service announcement because not sure how many do this...when driving I have my left TFT screen set to tire pressures all the time. As I see it this information is one of the few things you as a driver need to monitor so that you can intervene in a timely manner if something is going amiss. If I see a single tire pressure slowly decreasing then I may have time to pull off safely or find a gas station in time. With modern cars I doubt there is much to be gained from watching oil temp, water temp, voltage, or oil pressure during normal driving.

8. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I often do the same. Also, because it indicates tire temperature, you know when the tires are warmed up enough to generate good grip.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

FourFiveGreat and italiafan like this.
  9. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Very good advice. My car defaults to the gauges and not TPMS screen.

Can I set it to default on the TPMS screen somehow?

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I don’t think so, it has never restarted on TPMS for me. But what I usually do is leave it on temp gauges until oil temp is > 150F because I drive gently and keep it under 4K rpm until then. (However, I do quickly check tire temps once before setting off to make sure a tire I didn’t see walking up to the car hadn’t gone low since last use.)

Need4Spd likes this.
  11. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Not being rude, stuff happens. No way to prove the cause.

maybe for good PR, the manufacturer will throw you “a bone”.

glad no other damage.

12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I do the exact same

13. Softman

Softman Rookie

Sep 1, 2021
  14. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Any update? I just purchased a set for my 458 for road use. I’ve used Kumho in the past on my wife’s cars and they’ve been superb. I love the Michelin PS4S on the Ferrari but I figured I’d give these a try since I now have a second set of wheels with Cup2s for track use.

I got two years of use from last set of PS4Ss which is a lot based on mileage and driving my type. Contrary to what’s been said in places, I found them to be decent for the track as well, an all around winner.

PS I’m a bit of a nut about tire pressure and temperature monitoring and always carry a small gauge (0-60psi) and hand pump. And I’m always inspecting them because I check and change alignment frequently.

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Looks identical to my blowout.

Pirelli is total ****.

They never replaced a single tire. Made me file a claim through an impossible process not worth my time.

16. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    My Kumho PS91 have been outstanding. Excellent grip and FAR less wear on track than MPS and the PZero, excellent in the rain, and half the price. A great tire for daily driving that you can beat on at the track and not have to worry about it. The PS91 should be a no brainer for 458 owners. I love the tire.

Softman and wthensler like this.
  17. Softman

Softman Rookie

Sep 1, 2021
    Good to know! I’m about to get MPS. Will look into these.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app