MONDIAL T Cabrio | Issue with Roof gasket at windshield | FerrariChat

MONDIAL T Cabrio | Issue with Roof gasket at windshield

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Cantering1, Aug 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cantering1

Cantering1 Karting

Mar 11, 2021
    Full Name:
    Miguel A Serrano
    Hello, The roof gasket on my 1989 Mondi seemed a little rough so I decided to order an original replacement part from a reputable vendor. Upon recieving the part I notice that it is comprised of a center extrusion with the two ends being a speparate extruded piece. I was expecting a professionaly executed rubber weld providing a smooth and nice looking transition that ensured a proper seal.

Instead, what I recived looks like a China counterfit part with a disastrous looking joint on those end pieces. Seems unbelievalbe to me that this is a Ferrari part, and that it will even work properly. Other gaskets I've seen seem smooth; in my car and others online. Even the rubber on the ends seem to show excesice bubbles and imperfections in the extrusion itself

Has anybody been through this part replacement? Is it meant to be finished on the car (doubt it)? What the #%#^ is this?

The last three photos below are; my car's current gasket, Chris Harris car and another image I found on the net. The seem smoothly blended.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    From what I understand, that part is no longer available from Ferrari, or very expensive if you find it on the secondary Market. Our friend Ron posted a conditioner that you could put on the rubber that would bring it back to life, I used it and it worked very well if I can find the post I'll put it up here.
    Alden

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I bought one from Ferrari, NOS in the Ferrari yellow box, as a spare years ago, and it is the same style with the end parts joined together, not one piece like the original, and not quite as crap a join as yours but not better enough that I would think it is worth hunting to find a so called OEM one. They are all probably using the same off shore supplier for this gasket. I also have a second aftermarket spare that is actually slightly better than the OEM one.

Is it possible the thicker end pieces improve the seal in these leak prone areas?

I am sure there are some good rubber conditioners, but the compressive force of thwe rubber will degrade with time and not form a tight enough seal.

What we need is a weatherstrip add on piece that one could glue over the exisiting piece on the key windsheild header sealing surface, that would add the 1/4 inch of new springy foam that would make for a good seal nd look better than these hack replacements.

4. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Aftermarket and OEM versions attached fyi.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    This is the conditioner Ron was talking about a while back. I, too, have used with great success.

Attached Files:

6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock