Beware of 550 for sale in NJ | FerrariChat

Beware of 550 for sale in NJ

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Niteroi, Sep 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    https://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/d/warren-1999-ferrari-550-maranello/7367057166.html

A couple of weeks ago I found this 550 on Craigslist and contacted the owner. Car has some interesting features and looked pretty good on pics, although price was too high for the mileage. Everything was going well until I told him I wanted to get a PPI done. First he sent me more pics showing the real condition of the car, including a dent on the edge of the door that would require the whole door to get painted. And he started making up one excuse after another to avoid the PPI, until on the day before the appointment he told me he decide to keep the car. Days go by and I see the ad still running. My cousin contacted him and he said the car was available… I contacted him again and he said it was not for sale.
    So, beware, the car had some valve problems in the past already documented here on fchat, and that’s why I wanted a compression and leakdown test done, and that’s when he changes his mind.

VIN ZFFZR49B000113125

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Il Tifoso, Texas Forever and Niteroi like this.
  3. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Man, i confess I’m surprised on how shady people can be. You expect this kind of behavior from some low end car dealers, but not from a Ferrari owner.
    Last week I was looking into another 550, a silver one in Palm Springs. Looked beautiful in pics, price was good, lowish miles, and the seller told me he was selling cheaper because he didn’t have records and car needed 5-year service. I contacted local dealer to schedule a PPI and dealer told me they had just done one on the car a few days earlier, but they could not tell me the results because the report belonged to the guy who paid for it. Fair enough. But they did tell me the seller knew of the results. I asked the seller about it and he told me he wrote the results down and was going to send a pic of it to me. Days go by and even though I reminded him about it a few times he never sent me anything. But he told me it was just minor stuff that would be resolved during normal service. What he forgot to tell me, and I found out later, was that the car had been totally repainted, the A-plllar had some poor body work done to it, both fenders too, and it looked like frame was bent… There’s also some talk about this car here on fchat many years ago.
    VIN ZFFZR49A2X0115498

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Del, keep em coming but you might have to change your handle to @SherlockHolmes

Il Tifoso, Mirek and Niteroi like this.
  5. climbernyc

climbernyc Karting

Aug 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was contacted by a broker about the NJ car last October. The guy sent v old pics. When I was finally able to see current ones, the car was in rough shape. Squeezed into a small garage with lawn chairs v close and lots of dings and scratches. He has owned for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Il Tifoso and Niteroi like this.
  6. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    Since the car has scratches and dents all over, most likely it would need to get a full body repaint. The front spoiler is broken in several areas, but since it’s one piece with bumper, it can’t be replaced, it needs to be rebuilt. The corner of the door bent hit the door frame, so it will be tricky to fix it, and I believe it will need fillers. Reading between the lines the owner seems to be the kind of guy who cuts corners to save a buck. Car has definitely been neglected, and he is so afraid of the PPI, he must know something real bad would be found. My guess it’s related to the previously bent valves.
    Problem is, even if you spend tens of thousands getting the whole body fixed and repainted, engine/valves rebuilt etc, you’d still end up with a 45k miles car, and his current asking price is of a 20k miles, impeccable car. Makes no financial sense.
    I’ll keep on searching, and more than ever, I wouldn’t buy any car without a PPI, no matter how good of a deal.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  7. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    So considerate of the owner to point out the only part of the car without a major blemish

Niteroi likes this.
  8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Used and abused

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Niteroi likes this.
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    So sad. These are truly wonderful cars and deserve better.:(

darth550 and Niteroi like this.
  10. Mellow_Maranello

Mar 16, 2021
    Dallas / Orange County
    Full Name:
    Alistair
    When the market is hot all the cats and dogs come out. Glad you’re being extra diligent

Niteroi likes this.
  11. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    that car has been sale since ive looked at least 2013

it was offered in the $80's then

didnt have that damage in the front

same guy

same pics

Niteroi and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  12. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    As always, fchat archives have been extremely helpful. Otherwise I wouldn’t know about the car’s valve problems history and would’ve been so adamant about getting a compression and leakdown test done. Seller is an odd person, to put it nicely. After i exposed his scam he’s been sending me offending text messages. My guess is the car’s been for sale for so long because once the buyers got to inspect the car closely they saw what it really is. Luckily most Ferrari buyers are knowledgeable and diligent with inspections. Unfortunately this guys is going to keep advertising his car until he finds a less knowledgable buyer to scam.

13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So given the lunacy at BaT why isn’t this guy using a broker and selling the crack pipe over there?

cgt000 and Niteroi like this.
  14. Niteroi

Niteroi Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Del
    BaT crowd would pick that car apart.

Laserguru likes this.
  15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Not if you hand it to a broker that has no answers. People on BaT are spending huge money with no PPI.

show a full set of fobs, a stack of receipts and “no stickies” and prepare to receive cash. 8-(

heck for giggles do a lock and swap belt job at the cheapest guy you can find while at it.

Niteroi and Mellow_Maranello like this.
  16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @henryr it would also be hilarious if someone took selective paint meter readings and then had all other photos at 10+ feet!

Niteroi likes this.
  17. 69alfaromeo

69alfaromeo Rookie

Apr 12, 2016
    California
    I bought this car in December of 2021 (and I don't know if Niteroi actually saw the car in person before I bought it). Two inspections were performed (Ferrari of Rancho MIrage and EMC in Arizona). There is no structural frame damage on this car (as noted on the report and I would not have bought it if it had frame damage). It did have a list of deferred maintenance all of which was addressed under my ownership since. It had some paint work on the bumpers and front fenders. The areas where the paint was blended into the door and a-pillar seemed to have "way too much" paint on it to the point where it looked like it was (almost) running on the a-pillar; in addition, apparantly something dripped on the hood (maybe from the car it was parked under the lift), Because of this and after taking care of the service items/mechanicals, I had the car fully repainted in the original color; also replacing the glass (windshield was delaminating at the bottom and one door window had a chip). I spent over $40K to get the car back to its former beauty. It drives and handles like a well-serviced 25K miles 550 should. I am not much of a poster on any forum but wanted to post this to update the record of this car and update the community.

Il Tifoso, Qavion, mrp_e and 5 others like this.
  18. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks for sharing. Looks amazing in that photo….would love more.

Are you in Norcal/greater-bay-area….?….if so then there is a Ferrari event at the Candy Store in February and we should get you on the V12 “gathering” conversation/DM-thread.

69alfaromeo likes this.
  19. 69alfaromeo

69alfaromeo Rookie

Apr 12, 2016
    California
    Hi Ferrari55whoa. Thanks for the nice comments. It took some time and money. I really like the 550/575 design. it is so timeless and beautiful. I am in SoCal most of the time nowadays. I appreciate the invite. Have an awesome day & fun with your car(s)!

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  20. bay

bay Formula 3

Mar 13, 2011
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bernard
    For me #113125 Assy # 30141 Grigio Titanio / Bordeaux daytona Seats have Nero Calipers RollBar Fiorano Handling package Aftermarket Radio

Image Unavailable, Please Login

docapl and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  21. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Was hoping you were up in Norcal and we could add one more to our local group!

In SoCal - this February upcoming Ferrari event at the Petersen would be awesome…wish I could come down south for it.

https://www.petersen.org/events/ferrari-tour-day

We are going to the snow for my daughters birthday that weekend or I had thought about catching a cheap southwest flight down….

Condor Man and 69alfaromeo like this.
  22. 69alfaromeo

69alfaromeo Rookie

Apr 12, 2016
    California
    Eric, thanks again for the warm welcome and nice thought. I am in the Bay Area every so often and maybe I'll ping you to grab a bite sometime. Have fun in the snow with your daughters.

...back to my "virtual recluse" state in the meantime :)

23. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is a big event!

Looking forward to it again this year!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

May the Horse be with you

NE550, LVP488 and 69alfaromeo like this.
  24. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Argh!!!! Wish I could come down for that.

69alfaromeo likes this.
  25. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Cute, only red Ferraris in the middle line.

69alfaromeo likes this.