430 - New owner questions | FerrariChat

430 New owner questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Sep 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi,

got my car delivered yesterday (yay), so I played with the ap200 on it, and found clutch wear to be 7.4%... double yay.

So it was recently changed me thinks; it does show in 2018 a service of clutch due to a leak around the bearing, so most likely they put a new one in.

I do have a question; exhaust seems to Fabspeed, are they any good ? The sound is nice, loud, but jury is still out if I like it.
    I also think it has an aftermarket airbox covers, carbon fiber ? see pics... Are they just for show or do they bring a bit of improvement?

Also, the Michael Schumacher signature badge , is this on all cars, or something the owner has added?

Lastly, the small torchlight is solid shut, how do you open? Twist the bottom normally counterclock wise?

I think batteries must have welded it shut...

Many thanks !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Qavion likes this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    have never seem the schumacher thing...dont think its factory.
    i have oem CF airboxes but those cld be aftermarket.
    Fabspeed exhaust are widely used. depends what type of sound you are going for.

Mario Andretti likes this.
  3. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That fabspeed x pipe is going to get old real fast. Much too loud. CF lids are probably fabspeed as well. No real benefit other then looks and weight. All that aside..enjoy it! I really do like the 430.

4. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Yes, I saw the fabspeed cf airbox covers, looks like them.... thanks for the feedback. I will enjoy it for sure, brakes are like new, can't wait for my first track day to give them a good workout :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Does the exhaust bring any benefits apart from noise? they usually don't , just wondering... The car came with the original exhaust also, so I can swap it back if I want.... Thanks!

6. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    I dare say there is no performance gain because of this exhaust, if you want to have that, you need much more extensive measures. But the sound is certainly more intense, which makes people think the car is faster. Anyway, enjoy your F430! Fabspeed usually stands for very good quality, so I think you did everything right with the choice of this car.

7. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thanks all; does this exhaust have the valves in still ? I need to get under and remove the pan to see, no? I am wondering if I should put back the stock, the dealer gave me the oem muffler, here it is... I think I still need the OEM exhaust tips to get it back to stock?

Any advice appreciated.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Metastable

Metastable Formula Junior

#8 Metastable, Sep 17, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  9. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    If u use flash on future pic to show under the right or left of the fabspeed xpipe, itll be easier to tell u if valves are there. Also, u can tell by just driving or cold start. Upon cold start, exhaust is super loud then quiets down by about half after 3 or 4 minutes. Thats the valves going fr open to close. When driving, valves will be closed at lower rpms and non aggressive pressure or depth on throttle. Once you press harder or car thinks yiu want to go fast, valves open and car gets really loud (and nice music happens). All that said, i have almost sane setup as you incl airboxes and xpipe. My xpipe is newer so it dirs NOT have the larger resonators. If for some reason you decide to get rid of yours, please consider selling to me. TBH, i prefer sound of oem. My oem had a leak and sprayed white powder all over my engine bay. Hence i bought the Fabspeed. Oem is lower rumble and about 10 to 15pct quieter. Most owners dont change to aftermkt because oem already sounds really nice. Just my 0.02. Congrats!

10. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    I have no valves, I looked today.... It's pretty wide open. There is no hardware attached to these pipes, no connectors, nothing. I will chase some second hand oem pipes to connect to my muffler and put it back to stock in this coming winter.. Let's keep in touch if you decide to buy my setup.

chenglo1 likes this.
  11. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have some oem exhaust pipes with valves (no muffler). PM me if you are interested. Sold my F430 earlier this year.

chenglo1 likes this.
  12. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
  13. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    You saw it here first. Ill gladly take the Xpipe given price is reasonable. My email is [email protected]. i cant seem to access my PMs on here!!!

14. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Guys, I have a new question... Got to drive her more today, did the sticker in MA as it was nice and sunny. I got some bad traffic on the way to the shop, and I am trying to drive the F1 as good as I can...

I mean I pull neutral as soon as I know I'm going to stop... I only put it in first gear just before taking off, etc.
    I did smell some burning at some point, very vague, is it the clutch?? When I was not in traffic, I kept it in 4th and 5th gear just cruising at low rpms and not accelerating much, speed limit was 45 as I was in backroads and many cops all around.. This car screams from way way far away.

My question is; when you engage first gear, and do not accelerate, car does not move. Is the clutch slipping at that point, or it only starts when you actually accelerate. I feel no change in traction of noise when I pull first and "1" shows on the dash, just like nothing happens.
    And yeah, those 2 valve-less Fabspeed pipes must go; way to thick and way to drony (is this a word??) for my taste...

Many thanks for any feedback, still learning.

15. boba fett

boba fett Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2019
    You can leave it in first and it will only move when you accelerate, so what you are experiencing is normal. The smell might very well be your rocker cover gaskets, very common as they go brittle and seep with age not miles, in which case you get a lovely whiff of oil every now and then when you pull up at junctions.

chenglo1 likes this.