"Open title" - any advice? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Open title" - any advice?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by wheretheroadends, Sep 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Nope, that's illegal. Anytime a party buys a car, they are required by law to transfer the title to their name BEFORE they can legally sell it on to the next buyer. Even if they sell it the day after they buy it, they still have to get a new title in their name and then sign their name to the back of it before the new buyer can transfer title into their name and register the car for their use. Every bit of my research indicates the CA dealer that sold the car to FL is guilty of a felony. You shouldn't be trusting either one of these parties, IMO.

Here's some reading you can do for yourself:

https://blog.suretysolutions.com/suretynews/title-jumping-when-the-sellers-name-is-not-on-the-title

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/articles/what_to_do_if_a_buyer_never_registers_a_car_you_sold

2. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    I'm "loving" the stories and thanks, bonded title might be my solution. Any recommendations?

3. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    I'm a believer :)

absostone likes this.
  4. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia

Thanks again for the research and the input. Fortunately, I don't so much have to trust the CA dealer but shame to think he would risk what seems to be a great reputation.

5. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Yep, though something tells me that these transactions may happen frequently between dealers. I imagine the problems really crop up when an individual buyer gets involved. It appears a bonded title may be an option, but be careful if you decide to go down that road. It can help you establish title and facilitate registering the car, but it won't protect you from the risk if a past owner comes forward with a claim on the title. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. :)

6. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Thanks, good to know.

7. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    Sorry if I missed it but is the guy who is selling it to you a dealer or a private individual?

Cheers,
    Tom

8. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    i had this exact situation with a 550 that i had to pass on.

it is not open. it has already been assigned.

another fchatter bought the car (it was a deal). i did get to have a good 1/2 hr call with patrick otis out of it

u might want to inquire in the 550 section

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    normally the buyer would have to title / pay the tax on the car and get a clean title once this is done

black with 575 wheels?

10. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Apparently he bought it under his business name, which is an auto service/mechanic shop, so he may be selling it as a "dealer" if that business is set up to do so. I will certainly confirm if he gets back to me regarding the process and after contacting DMV as he said he would.

11. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Yes, it seems to be an assigned title. I'd love to dive in a bit more but I'm about to head out of town. You're not suggesting this is the same car though right?

12. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    This one is black on tan with 550 wheels

13. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    just thought i'd ask.... u never now given that most conspiracy theories are six months from becoming facts

normally, the assigned buyer would have to go down and title / pay tax on it and get a title in his own name.

14. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    That is a huge red flag and it's going to be an expensive mess to clear up. 1st of all the title is going to have have to be filed at dmv and taxes collected on a sale price that is for sure. Once titled into the current owner's name, you will have to purchase it and pay taxes a second time.
    Only legit car dealers are allowed to keep an open title this is a mess and I would not buy it unless it is corrected.

15. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    P.S. This recently happened to a friend of mine and I told him to walk away and he did not follow my advice....Long story short when he finally cleared up the title mess after having bought the car, the title came back as a SALVAGE title!

Shark01 and EastMemphis like this.
  16. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Speaking from 1st hand experience, when you go the bonded title route ( in Texas at least ) If for some reason someone makes a claim for the vehicle, they do not get the vehicle back. They get paid by the bonding company for the amount of the bond.

I would also suggest that if the OP follows through with this transaction, they hire a company that specializes in the process, to handle the evaluations , inspections, the official affidavits, and bond.

Steve

Texas Forever likes this.
  17. Dave Bertrand

Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Interesting. What you described is essentially title insurance, which I imagine would be pretty expensive on a car like a 458.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  18. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    There is another way you can do this. Physically go to the DMV with the seller, cashiers check, cash or wire transfer ready to go and do the deal in person. You can pay extra and they will print the actual title right there.....in real time. You will be able to double check VIN, lien status and if it's salvage or not. This is how I did my first Ferrari deal with a 328.

Caphill and Texas Forever like this.
  19. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Bonded titles are tricky. They are really only good if you know you have clear ownership of the vehicle but have a technical problem of some sort with the title. They are NOT insurance. So, if you purchase a surety bond and someone else makes a valid claim against the bond you will reimburse the surety company: “If someone makes a successful claim against your surety bond, you are obligated to pay the full amount of the bond. Plain and simple.” That quote is from this article, which has a good explanation as to how vehicle surety bonds work: https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/vehicle-surety-bonds-101-how-they-work-and-all-the-risks

Stolen vehicles have their own set of problems. Here is a summary from a legal encyclopedia:
    “The owner of stolen goods is not divested of title therein by the theft, and even though an innocent subsequent purchaser may be treated as having title as against everyone but the rightful owner, a sale by the thief ... does not vest title on the purchaser as against the owner.... .... The true owner may recover a stolen motor vehicle ... from a good-faith [(bona fide)] purchaser even though the thief had also stolen, or forged a title certificate, or obtained a title certificate in another state and delivered it to the purchaser.”
    67 Am.Jur.2d Sales § 447 (1985) (citations omitted) (emphasis added).

That’s just a general summary and may not be true in a particular jurisdiction. I don’t know that any of this is a concern here, but OP might want to talk to a real lawyer about this before risking serious money.

Dave Bertrand and SAFE4NOW like this.
  20. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    FWIW the registry in Nathan’s book shows it as a 1999 Nero over Tan with Nero calipers, no other options noted when it was added to the list.

Enjoying this story.

Personally love the hunt and excited for you on your hunt. I’ll subscribe to this thread, keep us appraised and then visit our subsection when you take it or another Maranello down.

21. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Another nightmare scenario!

22. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Thanks and wish I could but I'm in CA, seller is in FL

23. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Thanks and finding out the same after I spoke to an attorney who confirmed boded titles would not provide FULL protection

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  24. wheretheroadends

May 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Payman Nia
    Yep, that's the car and agreed, the hunt is wonderful. I appreciate the post and hope I can soon come back as an owner of a 550.

25. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If the title is not in his name, he can't sell it. He is trying to avoid the confiscatory sales tax, or the whole thing is a scam. He needs to get a proper title in his name, so he can legally transfer the car to you. If he can't do that... walk. It will far more trouble than it's worth.

technom3 likes this.