Wanted - Looking to buy first Ferrari! 599 GTB, F430 Spider, FF, 612, 360 Spider | FerrariChat

Wanted Looking to buy first Ferrari! 599 GTB, F430 Spider, FF, 612, 360 Spider

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by orangeman, Jul 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. orangeman

orangeman Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    New York
    Hi all! I've had some nice success the last two years and will be selling either a Carrera C4S or Turbo very soon. I am now looking to buy my first F car! Below is the list of what I am looking for, and the price I am willing to go up to, in order of preference.

I PROMISE you I am aware of the internet and how it works, so I am very aware of typical prices and the market for these cars. I am looking for a "high" mileage driver that shines up nice, and may need a little sorting, but has the major stuff covered. So please don't be offended by what I put, but if you have something I may be interested in, let me know!

1. 599 GTB - $125k, a few of these available here now, but would much prefer buying from a forum member
    A distant #2 F430 Spider - $100k
    3. FF, I'd need to drive one of these to get over the looks, but the reviews and enthusiasm have me convinced they're worth it - $125k+
    4. 612 - will be very color dependent $85k
    5. 360 spider $75k
    6. 360 slick-top
    7. V10 R8 Manual Spyder $100k (I can't believe I didn't buy one of these when they were $80k , but I also can't believe manual 997 Turbos were $65k all day long for 5+ years)

I prefer black cars and darker interiors but am super open. I literally do not care about mileage or number of former owners, clean title preferred only because of the hassle or reselling, but if you have something that's a steal let me know.

I like to live life to the fullest and this car will be used for grand touring, fly fishing around the NE, and maybe even riding with the dog! Don't worry, one of the porkas will be on ski trip duty in the winter time.

Located in NY, thank you!

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Message sent.

orangeman likes this.
  3. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    i think your prices are pre covid. asking prices are crazy now. i would wait for soon to come market correction. ive been looking at 458 spiders and they went from 185 to 250 last few yrs. crazy.

4. orangeman

orangeman Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    New York
    Lol, come on man, I literally wrote an entire paragraph regarding the prices.

Three people have messaged me since I made this post, so I think the market is softening on a few of these models as is. And as we all know, the market is always soft on Ferraris with greater than 20k miles…

LorenzoR and robertjskelton like this.
  5. Rohry

Rohry Karting

Jun 5, 2015
    Charleston, SC
    " I am looking for a "high" mileage driver that shines up nice, and may need a little sorting, but has the major stuff covered. So please don't be offended by what I put, but if you have something I may be interested in, let me know!"

Sent a message to you...

6. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    No update from the OP with just 2 posts to his name in eight months?
    I think we've been trolled.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  7. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

He's rite tho, I been watching closely as I'm looking for a 430. Higher priced cars are not moving

8. orangeman

orangeman Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    New York
    You've been trolled? I literally said it was my first F car, and created an account to get into it.

I'm sorry, I am supposed to update you with how things are going on BaT? Ok here's an update, I bought a 991.1, and a newer range rover, and am now trying to decide between a 12c and an FF.

First I need to figure out why FFs are all listing for $160 but selling on BaT for $110k. Then I need to figure out getting some wheel time in a 12c.

Did I satisfy your entitlement?

Jakuzzi likes this.
  9. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Damn he cooked it full send after 9 months

To the OP - did you get helpful leads/PM’s out of this? Serious question. I’m entering the market for similar cars and have been debating if/how I want to post a WTB since I’m also looking for a driver.

u2fast and Jakuzzi like this.
  10. ddrewesusa

ddrewesusa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2021
    92,955,807 miles from the sun
    Full Name:
    Don Drewes
    Yes. :D

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, it's been over a year since the last FF sold on BaT and most seem to have sold more around $120k or so.

A year can be like an eternity in this market so maybe start the investigation with that?

12. orangeman

orangeman Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    New York
    #12 orangeman, May 12, 2022
    Last edited: May 12, 2022
    I did receive four very nice messages, thank you. Three were guys trying to sell their F430s, which are fine cars but I struggle with their prices compared to a 12c, 991.1 GT3/Turbo S or FF. I know thats where the market is but I personally struggle with it, just like I would buying a 997 TT for 110k. Because I've driven F430s and 997 TTs, and I know what that experience is worth, to me. The fourth message was the guy trying to sell the bad ass 550 that he made way faster (or was it a 575?). Either way, if I was trying to buy a 550, I'd get that one, but they just don't do it for me. I'd also love a 456, but not a 612, so maybe I'm weird.

Current status is I'd pay up to $150-160k no problem for the right FF, and with 599s generally being even more expensive than FFs, I'm just not interested in them. Every comparison thread says that the FF is a whole generation newer and feels like a way better car. Also the threads on some 599s just not "being right" and not having fixable handling scare me. Seems like some just had bad chassis'. But maybe that was just 2 out of >3,000 made and I happened to read about them. They sure are pretty though and scream just right.

Ultimately I will probably wait for the right FF, or just finally pony up the dough for a 570 spider. If someone wanted to sell me a steel brake 599 for $125k, I'd still do it.

13. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    Thanks. I think $150k for the right FF is a healthy budget. They do seem to have bottomed out and risen a bit, but it's hard to tell if that's this bananas car market or if the demand is really there. A 456 is at the top of my list, the 612 is not, so I get that better than most. 550 and 599 seat 2, but many of your others seat 4. I'd prefer a 12c over a 430 as well.

In my opinion, pay no attention to the people saying you'll regret waiting a year. Find the right car. You might pay more, but I've been looking on-and-off for a 456 for close to 2 years now. Yeah they've increased considerably since late 2020, I might have to pay double, but it will be the right car and honestly a lot of the cars fetching these sorts of $90-110k prices are much more sorted out than a lot of the trash that was on the bargain market in 2020 at $45-55k. Sorted cars were $75k back then too, there was just a lot more bottom of the barrel stuff to compare it to and drivable bargains are largely gone from the market. They just don't exist.

And separately, pressure is starting to mount on sellers. Interest rates going from 4% to 8% on exotic loans has added 15% to 6-year payments at a time when people's stock portfolios are down 15% minimum and the price of cars is up 15% from a year ago. Buyers' patience is getting stretched pretty thin, and it's pretty visible when you look at sell-through rates. The big auctions are down from 85-90% last year to the 70's this year. Sothebys had one auction that was 59% sell through. BAT is down from the high 90's (totally absurd) to closer to 80%. The clouds are on the horizon, just a question of when the storm hits. Someone is gonna get stuck holding the bag, and if dealers keep bidding these cars up, a whole bunch of them won't exist in 4 years.

HtownFcar likes this.
  14. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    I bought a 2014 McLaren 12C spider and a 2006 F430 spider within a span of about an hour a few years ago. (Long story). I kept and drove them both for a few months to decide which to keep. It wasn’t even close. I sold the Ferrari and still have the McLaren.

15. HtownFcar

HtownFcar Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Houston,TX
    Full Name:
    CCO
    Interesting; I didn’t know that exotic loans had reset that much.
    So you’re saying that people with existing loans will keep them,and are ok not selling -but buyers will be financing at a premium.
    That could make for a limited transaction environment ultimately pushing prices down. I agree overall,wait and see is best to find the right exotic.

16. HtownFcar

HtownFcar Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Houston,TX
    Full Name:
    CCO
    (BTW I am in the market for a non red/tan, non yellow 430 spider)

17. milehighn54

milehighn54 Rookie

Feb 28, 2009
    How about a Grigio Silverstone F430 Coupe?

18. yudkib

yudkib Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2020
    I’m not sure they’re there yet, but they were quoting about 6.5% in late March or early April (last time I really sought out a rate) and I’ve seen 7.25% kicked around in ads and stuff since then. I’m a cash buyer but was basically like “if they’ll give me the money for free I might as well take it,” but not as much anymore. So I am limiting my spending to cash price only and not a 50/50 cash/finance where I could maybe go another 20% above my cash budget.

I think the people who bought in late 2020 / early 2021 will probably hold the cars because prices were up but the rate is practically nothing. The people who bought 2021 up through Jan / Feb this year we will see. There were A LOT of dealers who spent a lot of money at retail prices last year and they can’t just dry dock everything and close up shop for a while. For people who financed a dream car, they’ll hold no matter what. For people who bought the hype of “it’s a gated manual, it will never be worth less than this” and invested in it, we’ll see if they’re in for a rude awakening.

ddrewesusa likes this.
  19. orangeman

orangeman Rookie

Jan 18, 2018
    New York
    Very interesting insights and conversation; I appreciate you guys jumping in. I had not thought about the cars actually being better quality now, but I agree that's true.

Anyone have thoughts on 12c Spider vs 570 spider? The 570 just seems right to me, it's like they didn't leave anything on the table and didn't over do it at the same time. The size and proportions seem, PERFECT. However when they are sitting next to a 12c, I find my eye drawn to the 12c. I don't care about any performance differences.

Am I correct in guessing the 570 has slightly better fit and finish, but the12c is actually more comfortable to drive? How about feel? Which one feels more alive? Which would you drive from NY to VT and back?