F8 exhaust I know | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 exhaust I know

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by buddyg, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vicwest

vicwest Rookie

Sep 8, 2021
    May I ask how do you use the tectronic device, did you just plug it in somewhere ?

2. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Plugs into the OBD port.

mdrums and vicwest like this.
  3. GFD

GFD Karting

Aug 24, 2014
    Northern California
    What do you do at the time of the annual service?
    When the service people remove the OBD device to connect their computers, I am assuming they will get the CEL error?
    Or was the install done at your dealer, so it doesn't matter....

4. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I’m not sure. I don’t have GPF, but I would talk to the dealer and see what they think. Installing it there will likely help too, in that they know what is done to it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Realistically what could Ferrari say the exhaust would have damaged?

6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #31 Dicecal, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    Seems to me most dealers will not play with removing the GPF, and therefore will not be OK with the OBD plugins. FNA has not approved anything. To me the “Free annual maintenance “ has very little value when the car is newer and in the standard warranty period. Might not be worth taking the car in if you decide to change the exhaust.

Just did my annual service, the dealer had the car for 3 days and the only thing they did was replace the pollen filter- and thats only because it’s soo dusty in AZ. Just under 5K miles and several track days- no oil change from FNA. I paid for an oil change and brake flush with Castrol SRF myself…

430jm likes this.
  7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    What did your dealer charge you for oil change? Mine wants $800 just to do the oil.

8. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    $618.05 for oil, filter, gaskets and labor. I guess not too bad.

9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Thanks...yeah not too bad for a dealer. I have a local exotic used car dealer and service center that is about half of what my Tampa dealer quotes so I am using them.
    While my car was in for the so called free service and replacing my windshield that cracked I asked my dealer to raise my front 5mm and check the toe on the alignment machine to make sure it is still in spec. Since I have Novitec springs the springs go slack when jacked up and turning the collars on the shock body 2 turns is quick and easy and setting toe only in front is quick....they wanted $2,000...yep! Local shop will do it for $350...LOL

10. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Exhaust being installed this week. BTW, Novitec did respond to my technical inquires and provided outstanding customer support… so disregard previous comments.

11. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    removing the GPF is a violation of federal law.
    perhaps that is why dealers "will not play with removing the GPF"?
    if you are waiting for FNA to approve its dealers violating federal law, be prepared for a long wait

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USCODE-2013-title42/html/USCODE-2013-title42-chap85-subchapII-partA-sec7522.htm

mdrums likes this.
  12. VividRacing

VividRacing F1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2005
    Gilbert, AZ
    We have a few various options here at Vivid Racing I could go over with you and lead times. Novitec makes a great system as most have referenced!

13. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Out of curiosity, what did the dealer whack you for that? Or PM me, we can share data.

I have a local mechanic who just did both (and the Castrol) on the 458.

Do you void the warranty if you don’t have Ferrari change the fluids if you opt to do it sooner then them (because they didn’t do it, lol).

14. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #39 Dicecal, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    $618.05 for oil, filter, gaskets and labor. $315 labor for brake fluid flush and refill. (BYOF)

wthensler likes this.
  15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Ferrari of Ft.Lauderdale and Ferrari of Miami charge $1,300 for oil & Filter.

16. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Nuts…….my local mechanic charges $700 and he uses all top quality fluids, and actually checks the car out fully. And despite owning a busy shop, he does all the work himself. Saves me a 2 hour drive to Orlando.

Finding a good mechanic is like gold.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  17. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Wow...what a rip off...total robbery!!!

18. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Very correct Todd...thanks for posting this...it should be a Sticky on here. Not only is removing GPF and or the cats or installing cats with less cells illegal it voids the warranty of the engine. Then to get the car to run correctly and not throw CEL's you have to modify the cars ECU and that will void the warranty of anything the ECU controls on the car.

People with mention the Magnuson-Moss act but that act is not there to allow you to rip off cars exhausts and tamper with the ECU. The MagMoss act is nothing about modifying the car. There is no loop hole around this.

Jo Sta7 and Viperjoe like this.
  19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    So crazy to me the lengths you guys are having to go through to make a FERRARI not sound terrible.

20. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    True. I believe this is partly driving the 458 price surge of late?

First turbo on the 488 then turbo and GPF on the F8.

21. todd cloud

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Section 7522 cease and desist letters are being drafted as we speak addressed to the usual suspects in the custom exhaust universe. I cannot divulge how I came across this info. Believe me, if I could I would. It will be public knowledge soon enough. Just ask the coal roller DPF deletion vendors how that little business venture worked out for them (and that was under the pro-business Trump EPA). Regardless, the shocking obtusity of purposefully voiding the warranty on a 400K USD car is beyond my ability to comprehend. The Magnuson-Moss Act is of no help here. California’s recent initiative to refuse annual registrations to cars with non-stock ECU packages is the other side of the equation. Coming soon to a state near you, emissions testing notwithstanding. The only legal solution is to limit the modified car to track use, but that still leaves the warranty issue.

mdrums and Jo Sta7 like this.
  22. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A friend just took delivery of his F8, and as many have stated, the exhaust is uninspiring and not at all what one would expect in an otherwise spectacular machine. So as I await delivery of my F8 (it's on the water), I ponder the options discussed in this thread with considerable anxiety and apprehension. For me, replacing the exhaust system, or any major component thereof, is out of the question. First and foremost, I have no interest in having my warranty voided due to exhaust mods. Secondly, it seems absurd to have to spend several thousand $ to have a Ferrari sound like a Ferrari.

The F8 sounds great when its first started, but then the bypass valves close and so too the aural pleasure. So this question bears repeating, has anyone other than @Cigarzman had success installing the Forza Controller? Has anyone tried to mechanically pin the valves open? I know upstream back-pressure monitoring may trip a CEL, but it may be worth worth a try.

I sincerely hope that the other attributes of the car make up for this obvious shortcoming in such a critical area. I haven't even taken delivery yet and buyer's remorse is already creeping into my psyche.

430jm and AD211 like this.
  23. Dr123

Dr123 Karting

Oct 24, 2021
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    David RANDALL
    I love the sound of my F8. My first Ferrari however. I just can’t get used to the speed lol. Haven’t accelerated in first second or third really yet lol.
    Too far for the road ??

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

24. 430jm

430jm Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2017
    Atlanta
    I couldn’t believe how quiet the F8 Spider was when I test drove it. It’s a wonderful car, but when I bought a 458 spider a year later, I was very happy with my decision and shocked at the difference in the prices of these two cars, even with the 458 prices pleasantly increasing.

25. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I also test drove the F8 spider and now have one on order. While a little quieter than my pleasant enough sounding 488 spider, I will be looking at my exhaust options. However no way would I consider a 458 after experiencing 488/F8 looks and performance.
    I don’t give a **** what 458 sounds like.
    But I also have an 812

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

stavura, Viperjoe, Trochlea and 4 others like this.