Bloomberg not so positive review of PF - M | FerrariChat

Bloomberg not so positive review of PF - M

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Florida Joe, Sep 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Most reviewers give the car thumbs up. This is the first meh review. I will make my own decision when I get my car.

"With plastic-feeling knobs and air vents, a torture-chamber of a back seat, and a trunk that will fit three six-packs at best, this could be mistaken for the interior of a car far less expensive and with a substantially lesser pedigree."

"More good and bad: The top drops in a short 14 seconds at speeds up to 25 mph—but lands with a decidedly not-posh clunk when it hits bottom."

"But as a driver, I found nothing really thrilling. A little love bite—a jolt to the senses—once in a while should remind us of the rich, blue blood prancing through its veins. That’s exactly why one desires a Ferrari. The Portofino M lacks charismatic impetus. For all its softened edges and driving comforts, this is one prancing pony we can live without."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-09-02/if-you-want-an-exciting-ferrari-skip-the-2022-portofino-m-review

2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Writers have to write. So they sometimes just write crap. No biggie one way or another.

JayGeeee and Florida Joe like this.
  3. Florida Joe

Florida Joe Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    South Florida
    Agreed I will make my own decision. If I wanted plush, I would get a Bentley GTC, lots of toys, I would get the new SL. But I do agree Ferrari could step it up a bit on the amenities and plastics buttons.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    San Diego Ferrari had two Portofino M test cars available a couple weeks ago. My wife and I drove my 458 Spider to the dealer and drove both test cars. The Portofino M is a great car. Almost as much fun as my 458 when I wanted it to be, way more comfortable than my 458 when I wanted it to be. Even more excited about the order we placed in March (still waiting for an allocation). These were pre-production cars with lots of flaws, but we really enjoyed them.

Rob

vonbeeler, ryalex, vjd3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Snewton94024

Snewton94024 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2015
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Steve Newton
    I also recently drove one of the pre-production cars at my dealer and chuckled at the time about the “flaws” you mentioned, including the drivers side mirror. However, I thought the car had plenty of solid attributes and good power. The author of the article likely drives a Honda.

rob5819 likes this.
  6. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Both of our cars were stuck in KPH instead of MPH. I was pretty impressed when my sales guy hit 130 . . . until I did the math and it was only 84MPH. He did claim he had hit 163 MPH earlier that week (and he was a pretty great driver so I believe him). The navigation also did not have North America loaded. I might have missed a turn on the test drive so needed navigation, but it showed me as off roading.

Still loved the car.

rob

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    He “writes” for Bloomberg, he probably rides the subway and buses.

SilverLeaf, JayGeeee and Florida Joe like this.
  8. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    #8 Art138, Sep 5, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    I have to agree on the poor quality of electronics - to some extent dated for cars of our price range.. I could never get my home link on my Pista to work right. The audio/nativagtion system leaves a lot to be desired across their model range. I see little to no improvements on audio technical enhancements since my 2008 Scud. These issues are not only confined to the PF.

9. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    That review was harsh.

Florida Joe likes this.
  10. NJPortofino

NJPortofino Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    D T
    I enjoy when people who could never really have the car dump on the car. It’s the same with the California. “It’s not a real Ferrari” .... OK, but it’s way realer than the Ferrari YOU DON’T HAVE.

I love my Portofino.

11. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

#11 348SStb, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Interesting. So, then, I decided to read some other reviews.

Road & Track for example began its review this way:

<<
    “The Ferrari Portofino M is not a driver’s car. Ferrari will try to tell you it is, but it is not. A combination of a heavy folding hardtop roof and a front-engine design means it can never live up to its mid-engine siblings in terms of raw performance and satisfaction.”
    >>

What a garbage introduction. I am always amused when morons use the term “front engine” for a mid-engine car. Every single Ferrari ever produced since the introduction of the 612 Scaglietti has been a “mid-engine” car. The Portofino M happens to be a “front mid-engine,” but it’s no less mid-engine than a rear mid-engine car. It’s mid-engine. Period.

So right there the author has lost all credibility as far as I’m concerned.

It’s a front mid-engine car with a rear transaxle layout. Most driving instructors and track experts will testify that the front mid-engine, rear transaxle layout is the best balanced car. Ferrari brass themselves share that opinion- hence the front mid-engine V12 cars with rear transaxle. Ferrari manages to give the front mid-engine cars a slight rear weight bias by distributing the weight cleverly.

“Not a driver’s car?” Give me a break. It’s got the best shifting dual clutch transmission in the world, 612 horsepower, that Ferrari precision steering, perfect weight balance with slight rear weight bias, an electronic rear differential with torque vectoring, that Ferrari supple ride quality, and the list goes on. It’s not a rear mid-engine, low center of gravity super-exotic or hypercar. We get it. Not a driver’s car? One of the more ignorant conclusions any automobile journalist has ever uttered. It’s a driver’s car that happens to not be as athletic as other cars Ferrari makes but which also happens to be as good in measured ways or better in terms of intangible ways ways than most sports cars out there made by other manufacturers at the same price or less. What’s a driver’s car — a 911 Turbo S? A 718 Cayman GT4? Maybe an AMG GT-R? I doubt most owners of any one of those cars wouldn’t trade their keys for those of a nicely equipped Portofino M if offered to do so.

12. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ditto
    I was thoroughly impressed and that was after driving my 812SF over there. I ordered mine last Oct. supposed to lock any day.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. barrisimo

barrisimo Rookie

Jul 5, 2021
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon B
    Got my eye on the Portofino M for my 50th present to myself. Had a good look round one at Salon Prive at the weekend. Want one even more after seeing the M. I never get when journalists write that a Portofino or Cali is not a F8 etc. I think people know that and buy them because they are great sports/gt cars. I'd feel really self conscious in an F8 but a Portofino just right nobody mistakes you for a racing driver. Who cares what a journalist thinks after all you are driving it not them. I love my Levante S as a daily despite the Chrysler switchgear that journalists love to point out.

14. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    I whole heartedly agree. I took my Portofino to a Mclaren car rally + track day experience last week and was blown away.

I’ve had the car since June and this was my first proper road trip, and truly a highlight of the year for me, There were great feelings and sensations you can only get on a long drive (4+ hour), something I didn’t feel or experience on a short test drive downtown before buying it… it was only then I realized the ppl @ Ferrari behind this car are geniuses.

I’m a motorcycle club racer with over 20 years of track experience and I was very impressed with its track ability.

- solid feeling and responsive chassis (most important) which resulted in a beautiful balance
    - quick steering
    - fast engine and shifting

The only two things holding it back was the body roll (in tighter sections) and in my case the Pzero street tires. Otherwise it performed magnificently. This car is an absolute beast a true Jekyll and Hyde. You’re kidding yourself if you think it’s not a drivers car, it’s exactly what it is plus more, I toured the wineries in the area while I waved at the guys with their truck and trailers bringing their toys home

Attached Files:

NYC Fred, Andynyc and D11 like this.
  15. honda corse

honda corse Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2011
    Vancouver & Whistler
    Full Name:
    mark buchmann
    Good luck Simon ! I also bought mine on my birthday (40th)

barrisimo likes this.
  16. mrmicks

mrmicks Rookie

May 11, 2016
    I test drove a Portofino M yesterday at the Silverstone Ferrari Racing Days.

It was a fabulous car to drive. Eager, planted, responsive, and the suspension ate up the bumps on U.K. backroads.

It surpassed my original California in all but one aspect, the noise. Well, until I opened it up when it sounded like a fire breathing Ferrari should.

As an everyday, or touring, Ferrari it’s perfect. Perhaps that’s the problem, it’s too good.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    We’ve had our Portofino for a year and a half now and love it. Each iteration from Cali to Cali T and now Portofino has gotten more refined. We are awaiting out Portofino M allocation and excited to drive the demo Porto M soon.

With that said, I tend to take non automotive sites like a Bloomberg, automotive journalists with a grain of salt. They are not in the regular throws of car journalism solely like the many others: MotorTrend, Car & Driver, Evo, etc. etc. Not to say there opinion is not valid or matter, but I feel they have longer lead times between cars and less frequent experiences. Therefore, it’s as if in his mind he last drove a Pista or TDF and thinks the Portofino M should compare. That’s not Ferrari’s intent. Take it for what it is, a hard top convertible GT car with the Ferrari pedigree that can be daily driven. I agree with the above, not a lot of others I would consider over it. The others seem to be more sporty or two soft. I think Ferrari has the right balance between the two with the Portofino/Portofino M.

honda corse, Zince and barrisimo like this.
  18. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    As the author is called Hannah, and is complaining about being honked at by truck drivers I think he is probably a she.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Hey, ya never know! :D

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Strange, I don't look up car reviews in financial publications, same as I don't take stock tips from Chris Harris.

LVP488 and D11 like this.
  21. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 23, 2004
    Who da ho?
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We got the bubble-headed bleached-blonde, comes on at five
    She can tell you 'bout the plane crash with a gleam in her eye
    It's interesting when people die
    Give us dirty laundry

Negative articles inspire clicks, this is nothing new.

I've been doing track days for 20 years, in everything from a Spec Miata to a race ready RC51 motorcycle to my '73 Carrera RSR with cage, shells and harnesses and many others. I've done literally thousands of laps at Laguna Seca. I say this only to give context to my opinion of the the Portofino. It is, by a substantial margin, the best car I've ever owned.

Last year I drove mine to Glacier National Park. 2 people, 2 suitcases, 2 hydration packs for hiking, a 12 pack sized Yeti cooler, and all the various sun hats, purses and other mystery bags that wives seem to need.

Exceptionally comfortable hours on the highway, cruise control on, Carplay giving me Waze and Spotify, then get to Going to the Sun Road, drop the top and enjoy the scenery and blast thorough some of the most exhilarating corners in the world (when traffic allows). 800 miles round trip and we arrive home fresh.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

On top of that, IMO the Porto has the best Ferrari interior, because it has all the latest features and a big, useful screen integrated into the dash and not looking like an iPad propped up there as an afterthought (Roma), while retaining real buttons and switches, a real manettino and not quite going full on touchscreen (Roma again).

What other car can do all that? A 488 Spider is a better sports car but can't carry what we need for a long hiking weekend. I'm assuming an 812 GTS is fantastic and better in most ways but the price delta is eye popping, and it wasn't available when I got my Porto.

Like probably most of us, I was fortunate enough to choose pretty much any car made, within reason, and I chose the Portofino. I think it's the best drop top GT car in the world. If you know of one better, let me know and I'll probably buy it. I leave for Glacier again in a few days, this time via the Old Spiral Highway and Lolo Pass. Worth looking up if you are unfamiliar with them. ;)

22. peppe siciliano

peppe siciliano Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Peppe
    Does anyone know how many portofino M where produced worldwide

23. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    I recently bought a new 2023 Portofino M and like it very much. Great driver. A lot of car for the money in my opinion.
    I sold my 2022 812GTS, and put a lot of cash away for a rainy day. This is my 25th Ferrari.
    I don't think a blind man would hardly know the difference.

24. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Apart from endless problems with the battery, i love my Portofino. Is my daily drive, so a bit of comfort is welcome. Just wish Ferrari would update the navigation. I did not order Carplay so cannot get apple maps on the centre screen. Using the phone to navigate is a pain as the screen is too small

25. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    With the phone aps of WAZE and/or GOOGLE it is very easy. Just tell it where you want to go and it will tell you when and where to turn.
    My wife is our navigator on trips so keeps things under control, and much easier than following navigation for me.