812 GTS: To ADAS or not to ADAS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

812 GTS: To ADAS or not to ADAS

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by nimamd, Sep 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Read the following for insight from factory:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    :eek: not sure why so blurry...sorry!

3. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Can you provide the web link? Thanks in advance!

4. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Can someone please let us know where we could get hold of this catalogue? I asked my dealer if any such catalogue exists before speccing my car and he only emailed me a list of option prices. I am surprised why my Ferrari dealer has not provided me this catalogue/information about the options prior to speccing.

5. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Makes sense. Emergency braking is included with the ACC option. However, ACC does not need to be on for it to engage. I am pretty confident they are mutually exclusive systems that use the same technology (i.e. I had the emergency braking engage without ACC being on recently).

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My SA usually emails me the PDF

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I’m looking into getting it for you.

8. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Can you tell us more about how the AEB on your 812GTS behaved? It is indicated it would only engage if you are already braking but it calculates your braking is insufficient so it increases the braking pressure. Or did it do something else, like engage itself while you were not already applying the brake? The latter would be very scary sensation. And, was their an audible alert it was providing additional braking?

thanks!

9. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    Thanks a lot :)

10. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It was on my 812 Superfast. And in retrospect, yes I was already beginning to engage the brake and it applied more pressure. I can not recall if there was a sound or not as I was stunned when it happened!

11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Thank you, that would be unsettling to be sure!

So, from what you can discern, that could happen anytime (when you are braking) and no way to disable that "feature" or is their a way to do so in the Settings?

12. TheBigDot

TheBigDot Karting

Apr 27, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It did not go off without reason. There was a car approaching that it detected. I probably did not agree with the distance of when it happened however. I thought I was good to go. There may be a way to disable it in the system. I know there are a bunch of features that can be adjusted. I have never shut it off.

13. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    These nannies can be very dangerous. I do not like them on my cars. On my G63 the lane control yanked my so hard I almost hit a biker. From that point onward I made sure to disable it every time I got in the car.

Solid State likes this.
  14. x599

x599 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2010
  15. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Its strange how popular it is to lament the lack of analog feeling in a modern Ferrari yet folks by choice want to turn a high performance sports car into a family truckster. Save the nannies for Mercedes and the like if you must.

If you keep selecting these options they will become standard equipment and also not able to be disabled. And folks will continue to complain about them not being analog enough.

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I'm already out, know of many others as well, done with new cars/trucks, too much being added that is incompatible with my reality and sensibility.

Additionally, it would be nice if Ferrari would re-think this whole HMI situation, it is a major distraction, we need tactile devices, not haptic, they are currently failing as their current rendition requires focused efforts, the opposite of what they are telling you they are achieving (and that's not even ADAS, replacing highly useful cabin controls with the opposite is the problem).

italiafan likes this.
  17. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    I agree totally. They are out of place.

18. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I have Porsche's version of ADAS including Radar CC on my Taycan and it works brilliantly however I don't have it on my 812. As a daily car spending a lot of time on multi-lane freeways it makes sense but personally would never fit it on any Ferrari unless it was my daily.

Caeruleus11 and italiafan like this.
  19. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    The system does not brake for you but will give you an audible and visible warning if it senses an impact is imminent. It will also prime the brakes so that the pads are already in contact with the discs, but will not brake unless you touch the brake pedal. And yes, once it detects you are touching the pedal, it will assist as much as deemed necessary to avoid impact.

JTSE30 likes this.
  20. Jarusse5

Jarusse5 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    John A Russell
    In the process of building my 296 spec. The dealer noted that I must have code FCAM as mandatory which I’m going to negate given that it is an unattractive little box on the front spoiler. Also per USA regulation it is not required to have a front camera on a car only the rear parking camera. Another point they made they’re going to hike the base price, and Apple CarPlay is now mandatory yet that option is not free. That’s less of an issue to me (not surprised by this, it’s Ferrari and they can do whatever they want!)

The issue I have from an aesthetic POV is the advanced front driving camera. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should say to the dealer about getting this front camera taken off? I know a lot of modern Ferrari’s don’t have FCAM (e.g., 488 and F8) so I don’t know why the dealer would say that to me. PAR1 I would imagine ($2700) is mandatory.

Also note I have put a deposit on this car.

21. BlueFerrari458

BlueFerrari458 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2018
    Me and yes I did NOT include it

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

italiafan likes this.
  22. nimamd

nimamd Karting

Mar 25, 2016
    I specced my car in Canada. FCAM was optional. As far as I know, the rectangular cut out in the front spoiler is for ACC (Aduptive Cruise Control) not FCAM.

350MH83 and JHNurse like this.
  23. Jarusse5

Jarusse5 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    John A Russell
    For the 296 it’s definitely the FCAM. The camera is very visible and I think it disturbs the aesthetics. Here’s my build. I never specced it and it showed up when they sent the build email back to me. Any advice on how I can avoid this?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: