Your favourite restaurants off the beaten track? | FerrariChat

Your favourite restaurants off the beaten track?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by alexandra-ny, May 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    Each city has it's iconic eateries, from Katz's in NY to Tickets in Barcelona or Noma in Denmark, but there are always 'little-known' places down the side streets away from the tourists that have amazing atmosphere or great food. Where have you visited that others should know about (or perhaps they should be kept a secret?), and what places do you always go to when you vist somewhere?

For me, when I head back to London I make a point of getting a table at Langan's Brasserie in Mayfair. I love the atmosphere late at night with the tables close together and the band playing, the walls adorned with art and the simple food done nicely over candle light (bangers and mash, please). I remember being taken there in my early-20s and it created memories that have never faded.

2. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    kylec and alexandra-ny like this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Off the beaten track?!? Hmm.

This place has been written up a good bit and been on TV, but when it comes to "off the beaten track" - Cattleman's Steakhouse in Fabens, Texas - about hour east of El Paso is good.

Nearer to home, Mcgehee's Catfish restaurant in OK on the Red River is very good.

Hashknife BBQ in Peadenville, TX is very good
    . Image Unavailable, Please Login

Old-fashioned burger stand in Anna, Texas.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

T Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NbyNW and alexandra-ny like this.
  4. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    How did you end up finding it? The food looks great and probably about as fresh as you can possibly get.

5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I need a more specific definition of "off the beaten track"?

Do you mean unknown place?

Or literally out in the middle of nowhere?

Or grubby little dive places?

6. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    Somewhere that isn't well known, but you would go out of your way to eat there?

7. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    interesting topic to chat about...and that definition helps...I'd further define/equate "go out of your way to eat there" to mean "outstanding food".

Of course there were loads of those places before the internet...now all the little so-called hidden gems (a phrase that still gets a chuckle when used on the interweb) are well-known and often full of tourists.

My favorite example of that phenomenon is many years ago when I was on a date in Rome and the woman (who lived there) said she wanted me to get on the subway for a ride to the best tiramisu in Rome and it was a secret little place. I googled it quickly and said oh, you must mean "Pompi". She was shocked and disappointed that I knew of it (I confessed I did not, rather that google did). That place has seen a mob of people ever since...(the story of course can be repeated for pretty much every place).

Another example would be pretty much the top few dozen BBQ places in Texas. They get so much pub, that idiots like me make trips to drive the countryside of Texas gobbling it all up. If someone is making outstanding Q in Texas, its known. (sure there are so many little places that many are still not getting the tourists, but *if* they had top-rated level Q, they would be. Heck, I've driven 2 hours round trip to eat at one Q place in Texas several times already, and would have driven more if there were worthy destinations.)

PHX - I drive an hour+ RT to eat at Tacos El Chino. Its "on the lists" for best tacos in PHX, so its a bit hard to argue it isn't well-known, but its not crowded and I don't think many other folks make a special drive to eat there as I do (perhaps because they are driving past a few dozen good taco joints on their journey to this place).

Oh, I've flown from London to Rome for a weekend just to eat at Da Enzo (also extremely crowded with people now, but early on it wasn't all that well known).

And I've made overnight trips to eat at special (and very well known) places on many times. But methinks that doesn't fit the bill here...

hmm...so I can come up with many "go out of my way to eat there", but its hard to come up with "not well known". I pretty much live to eat and have traveled to eat for nearly 20 years, but every place with outstanding food (and some without) are now the subject of tens of thousands of online reviews, hundreds of food blogs, dozens of TV shows and so on. If it has great food, its been discovered on the interweb. (there may still be a few exceptions waaaay out there, but I'd also venture the food isn't all that great, or they would be in the first category).

Jaguar36 likes this.
  8. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #9 bobhitch, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    I was on a backcountry ski trip and had flown up to isafjordur in northern Iceland from reykjavik on a little prop plane and had dinner there the night we arrived.
    got a boat into the Hornstrandir nature reserve- no roads up there ,accessed skiing by rib and ,moored on a different inlet/beach each day, climbed and skinned up and skied back to the sea.
    Didn't see another soul for 7 days
    I you like remote backcountry skiing then I highly recommend northern Iceland

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lots of places like that when we lived in Tennessee. Any down-home cooking spot off the beaten path that served "a meat and two" was likely to be good. Gus' fried chicken in Mason, TN - which we "discovered" before it was made famous on TV - is probably a favorite.

In Texas, I cannot recall too many non-chain Tex-Mex or steak places that we have been to that were not good, even before Yelp made many of these places more accessible.

I think if you stick w/ local grub, you should be in good shape...T

alexandra-ny likes this.
  10. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    It's funny you mention Rome. When we were there, we really struggled to find the sorts of food we thought would be everywhere. I know I sometimes have unrealistic standards, but we never quite found the 'hidden gems' as you so aptly put it. And that phrase would have made for a far better thread title...

11. alexandra-ny

alexandra-ny Rookie

May 1, 2021
    Southampton, NY
    Full Name:
    Alexandra
    That sounds like an amazing story, and what memories it must have made. I'd never considered Iceland for skiing but maybe I should now!

12. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    It took me several trips to Rome and the internet to even start to crack that nut.

3 recs:

da enzo
    Pizzerium Bonci
    Katie Parla

alexandra-ny likes this.
  13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is true as @arizonaitalian and I know from previous experience! :D

The problem is, you can find bad Q in Texas.
    Based on my experience, the only way you can miss on Tex-Mex in Tejas is to go to a chain restaurant!
    T

14. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Some great driving roads in that neck of the woods! Is that your 575 to the right?

T

16. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Is that your 575 to the right?"
    IIRC, Al and I were parked across the road but that 550 is a spitting image of my 575!!

17. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    "Some great driving roads in that neck of the woods! "
    It's a well organized, high class event...~5 days and 1100 mile of driving on some great roads. This year is Sept. 14-19.

https://crescentclassicrally.net/

You should sign up....about a 5 1/2 hour drive from Dallas.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I guess that Marietta, GA is a bit off the beaten path, since most of greater Atlanta's more renowned restaurants are in the Buckhead neighborhood. But an excellent new Italian restaurant, with a Ferrari connection (!), has opened a little west of downtown. I've eaten there three times and all the meals were excellent.

https://www.facebook.com/modenaristorante

19. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #20 jimpo1, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    Texas Forever likes this.
  20. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Where’s the grouper?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I knew that rang a bell but couldn't place it. I fly in and out of O'Hare quite a bit and ALWAYS eat at the sister restaurant Tortas Frontera in the AA terminal. :)

22. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    I'm a Bayless fanboy so anything his name is attached to I recommend. ;)

23. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
  24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    max930 likes this.