So- radiator fluid is all over the garage floor… | FerrariChat

So- radiator fluid is all over the garage floor…

Discussion in '308/328' started by lafayette, Sep 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Ok/ I am clearly not a mechanic. So this question may be silly to some.

Was a pretty hot day over the weekend drove the car around some, didn’t notice anything unusual with the gauges. Parked the car back in the garage, closed the garage door. Maybe 10 minutes later heard a pop sound. I don’t know why I didn’t re-open the garage door and check what it was…maybe I didn’t want to know.

Next day, opened the garage door and there fluid all underneath the car. Seems to be coming mostly from the front of the car near the passenger wheel. When I look under the car it looks like more the fluid is kind of dripping/hanging from the the front right part of the undercarriage…

The fluid is slightly oily, But definitely not oil or gas. There’s got to be more than a gallon of it on the floor.

I assume it’s radiator fluid or coolant?

The question is, what should I do?

Is there some kind of thing I could do at home to investigate whether or not I can just refill the coolant and drive it to mechanic? (20-25mim drive- some hills)…

Is it better just to call and have the car put on a truck and take it to the mechanic?

I do have a lift. Normally used to store another car, I could drive The Ferrari up onto the lift and look underneath, but that may not be helpful if I’m not able to do any repairs or assessments.

Is it even reasonable to star the engine if there’s absolutely no cooling system available?

Sorry for what may be really simple questions, but don’t want to do something which will destroy the engine. I mean I assume my problem can be anything from an unplugged or broken hose to an exploded radiator..

I could go and take more pictures if someone has a suggestion on what I should be taking a picture of.

Sorry, thanks for any advice someone has to offer.

Ben

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the fluid is mostly under the front of the car, it could very well be one of the radiator hose or the smaller heater hose. If you don’t see anything obvious from the top of the radiator there is an aluminum plate cover underneath you can remove where you can see the two 41mm coolant hoses and one heater hose coming from the top. Sounds like something did pop while it was still under pressure.

lafayette likes this.
  3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The first thing I'd do is determine what sort of fluid that actually is. Despite coming from the radiator hose, it looks more like water than coolant.

Next, I'd drain the entire system, then replace the hose and clamp. Fill it with proper 50/50, then do a pressure test on the coolant system. If it holds proper pressure, replace the coolant tank cap for good measure, then warm the car up, bleed the system, and re-evaluate.

Also - no, you don't want to drive the car 25 mins with leaking coolant. Worse case scenario is that it all leaks out again, and the engine overheats in a very bad way.

lafayette likes this.
  4. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Don’t drain the system yet, instead if you could back up the car out in the driveway then feel up the coolant tank with water and look if you can see where the water is leaking from without pressurizing it, If you can see where it’s leaking from then you know what to fix

lafayette likes this.
  5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Actually, good point by Mike. Don't drain/refill with coolant until you've found the leak; use water for leak detection.

lafayette likes this.
  6. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
  7. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    There's no reason not to put it on the lift and get under it to see if the cause of the leak is obvious. The "pop" you heard indicates to me a high likelyhood that a hose ruptured. Not uncommon at all on a 35+ year old car still on its original hoses. Plus, you can take pictures from underneath of the wet areas and post them here for us to see.

On driving the car with a non-functioning cooling system...I once drove a Toyota pickup 150 miles with a busted hose and empty radiator. You CAN do it. You drive it for a few minutes until the temp gets too hot, then you stop and let it cool down for 15-20 minutes. Then you go again. It took me a whole day to go 150 miles like that, but I got it home with no damage to anything.

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I did that to a Renault once and blew my head gasket unfortunately but made it out of downtown

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If there's a gallon then it's definitely coolant. Put it on the lift and there is a small rectangular panel just aft of the battery behind which you can examine the two main pipes and hoses and the heater hose. If it's the heater hose you could just cap that off, refill and drive to your mechanic.

lafayette likes this.
  10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I've had more coolant puddles over the years than I can count. Blown water pump, bad cap on the coolant tank, blown hose, leaky radiator. I'd start wherever the puddle is largest.

I'm also not a mechanic. :)

lafayette likes this.
  11. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    lafayette likes this.
  12. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Update- think I found the problem—- still not sure what to do…
    Got the car up on the lift- coolant tank is def not full… and pretty sure this rubber connector isn’t supposed to be torn and leaking fluid….

- I assume this is a hose associated with the radiator? Is replacing this torn rubber connector something I can do at home?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Sorry, and reading the thoughtful original replies, with pictures! This ruptured connector appears to be the upper of the two radiator pipes…
    I guess the next question is- do these just rupture bc they’re old- or is there something else super overheating or building up pressure causing it to rupture?

14. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My first thought is age of the hose. I'd replace both of those, and start examining a few others for signs of wear and decay.

mike996 and lafayette like this.
  15. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Are these straightforward to replace? Thx

16. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The biggest challenge is usually getting access to them, so you've got some of that part solved already. It'ss literally just a matter of disconnecting, cutting the new hose to size, twisting it back on and getting it clamped up.

The bad news: because the radiator is in the front and the engine in the back, there are a lot more coolant hoses on this car than others... So, many more points of potential failing old hoses to check.

I would also recommend replacing the hose clamps with good modern ones. But, do not throw the old clamps away. They sometimes have value to people who want original clamps.

While you're at it, take a look at the fuel system hoses too. If they are original, it's probably time to replace them as well.

moysiuan, greg328 and mike996 like this.
  17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yep, there are lots of those little hose connectors in the cooling system and since that one let go, others of the same age could be soon-to-follow. They are a PITA to replace due to quantity and access. :( When I did it I just ordered the complete hose kit from Ricambi but it's certainly less expensive to buy a length of hose and cut it into the short sections you need,

lafayette and greg328 like this.
  18. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Absolutely. The hoses there are relatively straightforward things, specified as D. 40-49x70

lafayette and greg328 like this.
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If I remember correctly, 40mm is what you need. I always have two 3-ft sections from Gates for my various use. They are about $1 per inch. Here is what I suggest.

1. Buy the hose, cut out 2 pieces.
    2. Get some new clamps
    3. Replace those two hoses (they look old and should have been replaced during one of your major services) Note to doubters: Major services is more than Timing belt service.
    4. That 16mm hose to the side of that pipe is the heater return hose. If you can, cut a section out and install a quick flush connector there ($3 from Oreilly's) so that next time you want to drain the coolant, it is an easy twist off cap that don't make such a big mess. Every car I touch gets one of those.
    5. Replace the two big hoses at the radiator as well.

20. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    Thanks- I’ve been looking in your online catalog and keep finding 40-49x150… but can’t find 70… probably poor looking skills…

21. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I listed the size so you could just go buy normal coolant hose locally. The Ferrari part number is 121258.

lafayette likes this.
  22. lafayette

lafayette Rookie

Mar 2, 2018
    I'm sorry- I see that now... I'm learning (slowly). thanks!

23. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    this may give you a reference... from 2:03

lafayette likes this.
  24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    When you change the hose, do as many as you can at the same time. A lot cheaper than getting it trucked home after another one goes.

25. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    #25 moysiuan, Sep 25, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    To change many hoses you need the coolant drained. So sounds like a good time to do whatever hoses are reasonably accessible.

But the one you have burst looks like a really easy replacement, so if you don't want to make a bigger project which on these cars can be endless, just replace the busted one and carry on til the next surprise. I do think doing the gas hoses is necessary for safety, so if you want more projects I would do those as a priority after doing the one coolant hose.

You can order one cut to the size from eg. Eurospares if you want to just swap without doing any work hunting correct hoses size, cutting hoses, and such. Not sure what you car is, but these exploded parts diagrams can also help you understand your car better.

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/308-quattrovalvole-1985/cooling-heating/cooling-system-38788

I hear the comment about using new hose clamps, but frankly the old ones work fine, unless corroded or stripped it seems unnecesarry to replace and end up losing an original that very long term will have collectible relevance.

lafayette likes this.