Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
    I have a 550 with headers, cats, center H & tubi mufllers

2. Dm993tt

Dm993tt Rookie

Aug 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    David
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    You bought well and have clearly made a serious amount of “post purchase investment”.

I remember your car and like it now even more! Giallo is so rare.

4. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I just realized I had posted this a few weeks ago on Instagram but not here. Video starts with remote valves open and then you can hear it when Roberto hits the button to close them. Allegedly picking up tomorrow (25 weeks was yesterday).
    https://youtube.com/shorts/ugztArz86cY?feature=share

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Got 135171 back this morning with an H pipe (not Fabio's) and Supersprint over axle pipe. Great sound and no resonance. Straight pipes and headers seem to lead to resonance just about every time, even with mufflers designed to work with straight pipes.

-K1- and F456M like this.
  6. Konadog06

Konadog06 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 22, 2007
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That’s great news Taz, Thank you!
    Notice any difference with those Supersprints out back of the H-pipes?
    Bill
    FL

7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Bill- Not yet since I just got her back today and only drove her around the block. I would imagine the hp lost to the H pipe is about the same as the hp gained by the uncrimped, over the axle pipes. More when I drive her more. She definitely is quieter/smoother at idle and driving with the valves closed, which is good. The straight pipes are great for power, not so much for low to medium rev exhaust music with the 6-1 headers.

F456M likes this.
  8. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I would try Supersprint’s open x-pipe. My car is straight through catless with OEM 575 mufflers and it is silent at cruise and no resonances at any rpm, both with valves always open or closed. My wife and I have cruised ~20 hours in the past month and she loves how quiet it is on the highway, including higher rpms. The sound was also very good with the OEM 550 x-pipe center muffler and Tubi competition rear mufflers as well as no rear mufflers, but it had much less low-midband power, and there was cabin resonance in the midband. Of the different exhaust combinations I have tested over the last 2 years, it seems the center section affects resonance the most.

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @niftyfivefifty does the current set up feel now like the “forever set up”?

And can you remind us with Fabios catless headers did you need Trev or other to do the tuning or did the California guy you mention tune it all up?

feels like out of all of us you might have the “finest” of fine tuning done?

F456M likes this.
  10. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Hey Eric, I haven’t done any tuning yet but it is on my to-do list to road trip down to CA and have the ECUs updated. As-is the car runs rich so I am confident there is even more power to be gained. I am not 100% in love with the 575 mufflers but they have potential. I have a couple modification ideas I am going to try to test soon.

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  11. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I do not like X-pipes since they interfere with the extraction pulses from the engine and cost hp and torque. The H pipe is a compromise where the two balance tubes cut down on resonance without a big effect on extraction or hp. Some folks like the sound that comes from X pipes, but to me that is the only reason to use one except as a replacement for the OEM resonator/muffler/cork, which also has an X-pipe inside, but is way more restrictive..

12. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I definitely get what you are saying about the science behind it, but if there is one thing I have learned about mixing and matching exhaust components on these cars, it is that the final result can be very different and unpredictable. Personally I would just try it. In my eyes, the inexpensive Supersprint x-pipe is definitely worth the test. And interestingly enough, my car is significantly faster with the x-pipe vs. h-pipe, and that was with less restrictive Tubis on the h-pipe.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Why would I try it when I already have Fabio's headers and cats, a working H pipe, uncrimped over the axle pipe, Superamerica HGTC exhaust, no resonance and a great exhaust sound and way more power? Like I said, no interest in an X-Pipe. Ferrari even gave X-Pipes up (went to straight pipes) on the OEM V12 exhausts starting in September 2003 and set up the mufflers to get rid of any resonance.

I seriously doubt an X-Pipe gives more power than an H pipe with all else being equal.

14. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    You're missing out Terry! Trying new things is the spice of life.

F456M likes this.
  15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    So far 135171 has had four separate exhaust systems, three sets of wheels, and two sets of brakes, including ceramics. Not missing out on too much.

TobiasM, ifeelfree0 and Ferrari55whoa like this.
  16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #216 F456M, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    Hi Nifty. I agree with you. My 456M became soooo much nicer to drive with a Stebro X-pipe than the two straight pipes. It was like driving a Corolla or a M5. Sound 10x better. Great sound on both accelleration and deceleration when going off the throttle. That was with the original cats and no rear mufflers at all. No resonance what so ever. More power even at idle when reversing out of the work shop! On that car the sound was awful with the straight pipes.

How is the «music» aspect of the sound with your current set-up?

Is it loud at high rpm. and much throttle?

Any videos?

What was the reason you changed the OEM 550 center muffler with the Supersprint X-pipe? Just curious

I might copy your set up one day...

niftyfivefifty and TobiasM like this.
  17. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    I loved running x-pipes on V8s when I was younger, and thought it would be worth a try on the V12. The h-pipe always sounded like it was only 5000rpm at redline, and with the OEM center, low/mid powerbands weren't what I wanted them to be. The x-pipe has the best power, and also sounds true to the rpm. She sings at 8000rpm! The power is incredible, and it needs much more throttle control in wet/cold conditions. It is a completely different car now, but silent on the highway with the 575 mufflers.

Life has been crazy with the kids back in school, but I am planning some videos very soon.

18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    X-Pipes work fine on 90 degree crank V8s, like most American V8s (4 V twins on a common crank), but not really at all on flat crank V8s (two inline fours on the same crank) and cost you hp on a V12 compared to straight pipes. I still do not think an X pipe will give as much hp as a well designed H pipe, and proven not as much as straight pipes. X-pipes do sound different because all the exhaust pulses are mixed together.

19. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    Is there really now way to suppress the drone caused by straight pipes?

I understant how the drone can be a pain, but I cannot quite get my head around conceding to lose HP either with a X or H pipe of any variant, only to reduce the drone.

Has anyone ever tried to add a pair of "short" straight-through central mufflers?

20. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    DZ96 has on his 599. To take away some of the imperfections of the sound.

21. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    What was the difference on the X-pipe vs. straight on your V8s?

22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Timmo- Ferrari eliminated the drone on the 575M and subsequent V12s with straight center pipes through muffler design. Once you go to 6-1 headers, though, those mufflers no longer provide enough damping to prevent the ~2500 rpm (and sometimes idle) drone.

This thread is really about using Fabio's 6-1 headers. If someone springs for Fabio's entire system on Maranellos, no drone, but that includes an H pipe with very small balance tubes.

23. niftyfivefifty

Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    Sound for sure. Performance was similar, though that was a centrifugal supercharged V8 and it performed well with both options.

Dave's Giallo 550 at the top of the page is probably my favorite sounding application of Fabio's headers, and it seems the winning recipe involves either 200 cell cats or a center muffler. My next iteration will be OEM center with valved straight pipes, similar to what @white out has on his 575. Fabio makes a set as well that look really nice.

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That sounds just great. What's the complete setup you have?

25. Timmo

Timmo Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2017
    Continental Europe
    So DZ96 has Fabio's 6-1 headers with cats, Fabio's rear mufflers and straight-through center pipes featuring a silencer each?

Yes Taz, thanks, this is what I had undestood from the various reports posted on here.

My question now is if there is a way to get rid of the drone without using either a X or H pipe of any sort, whilst using Fabio's 6-1 headers with his 200 cell cats, and valved mufflers, either Fabio's or the originals from the 550/575.