Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 100 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have never in my life seen a sport with more excuses attached to it than motor racing. Spend any time in a paddock after a race and EVERY team will give you a reason as to why they did not do better. The sport is full of 'what ifs' and conspiracy theories but at the end of the day the scorecard has no place for excuses.

YES circumstances do affect things here and there but 100 wins and over 100 poles is a MASSIVE number that I am certain many in the sport never thought was achievable by anyone ever. Not being able to recognize that is the true litmus test that reveals personal bias. Hamilton may not be my favorite F1 driver but his achievements are undeniable.

2. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/shock-details-of-the-injuries-which-floored-michael-schumacher-6762294.html?amp

Yeah, Schumacher was exactly the same driver after his accident like Massa was after his. :rolleyes:

If you want to work a job, you’re not going to tell your employer your weaknesses on a job interview. Do you seriously believe Schumacher, or any other driver who wants to drive would be honest about his fitness level, if it meant him potentially not getting a seat?

jpalmito and 375+ like this.
  3. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I suspect he was mainly hired by Mercedes because Brawn needed him to build the team from scratch.
    Michael didn’t really believe he would be able to fight for the Championship again I’m certain.

SimCity3 likes this.
  4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Schumi would have never been allowed to race if he was physically unable to, like Massa. Lauda survived a fire, and came back and won once he was cleared. Schumi got beat, Hamilton got beat before, its ok. It happens to the best of them. You don't have to make excuses.

Senna1994 likes this.
  5. Barrylindon

Barrylindon Karting

Mar 20, 2021
    Funny thread, once Lewis leaves and max dominates if Russel and Lando let him he will be the next vilain.

I remember when Schumacher dominated a lot of people hated him and Ferrari. I miss those days, I could get cocky.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    History always repeats. Williams was hated when it dominated, Then McLaren, Then Red Bull, Then Mercedes.

Too much winning is bad for business and F1 at the end of the day is an entertainment business.

subirg and Senna1994 like this.
  7. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Some nice ones amongst his 100 if one is honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ktu likes this.
  8. Giallo 550

Giallo 550 Formula 3

May 25, 2019
    NY
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The discussion isn’t and was never if he was or wasn’t physically able to. Stop with the straw men and knock it off with your patronizing tone. It’s getting old.

9. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Lets get real...Michael joined the defending World Championship team (one purchased by a manufacturer powerhouse) to win Grands Prix and fight for championships pretty much right away. Everything looked great on paper, and had a nice full-circle quality to it all.

Senna1994 and ktu like this.
  10. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Definietly was some great drives there.

11. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

On paper !

Brawn had an advantage for about half a season, back when the FIA allowed other teams to develop and catch up.

And then Vettel & Red Bull drove off into the distance...
    :D

12. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1

Helping his friends, plus a little fun along the way.

13. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    You are wrong sir,
    The Brawn Gp 01 was de facto a Honda car.
    In 2008 Honda spent a lot of money on this project because of the new regulations in 2009 ( Three wind tunnels were even used simultaneously on this project!).
    Unfortunately they should have suddenly abandoned the sport because of the economic crisis.
    In 2010 the new Mercedes team was very weak on engineering side this is why they began their huge recruitment campaign straight away.
    Schumacher believed he could won some races in 2012 at best.

Senna1994 likes this.
  14. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Lol! Yall got me cracking up! You forgot to add plus getting a little beat down too lol! You all brighten my day. I'm in the mood to go help some friends LoL!

15. Doc V.

Doc V. Karting

Aug 29, 2012
  16. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    This is a good documentary about Hamilton vs Rosberg, to refresh the memory.

Both were great drivers but Hamilton's car had alot of mechanic problems during the season. Rosberg was luckier in that regard.

Terra, Mark(study) and ktu like this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Hamilton's DNF in Malaysia was the nail-in-the-coffin for the WDC title in 2016.

5 points separated Nico vs Hamilton.

Terra, ricksb and Senna1994 like this.
  18. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

..and Hamilton had better reliability in their previous seasons.

Since Bottas joined I think Ham has suffered 2 mechanical DNF's. That must be a record !

lagunacc, Picchu88 and jpalmito like this.
  19. TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2012
    Portugal
    Do you have any numbers to prove it? TBH I don't recall all the mechanical DNFs since Bottas joined Mercedes.

20. JJ

JJ F1 World Champ

Jan 6, 2010
    PA
    Full Name:
    That is 100% correct and is all the respect Lewis Hamilton deserves.

/thread

Gh21631 likes this.
  21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think Lewis is a fantastic talent and insufferable ****

375+ likes this.
  22. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    To be fair wouldn't you agree that this is Nico vs. Hamilton & Toto?

JJ likes this.
  23. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    #2499 fer312t, Sep 27, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    I am not wrong - and I believe you do not know Michael Schumacher very well. I am not in need of a history lesson about Honda/Brawn/Merc transition...we're not arguing over why Mercedes ultimately failed deliver race wins 2010-2011. This is about Michael's mindset returning to the cockpit - if you think it was to driver around for 2 seasons, and maybe hopefully win some races in year 3, you're sorely mistaken. Basically from the off, Michael was bullish about the team and his chances...and the majority of people (including myself) thought he had very good reason to.

ktu likes this.
  24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I think you are in need of a history lesson.

It was NO secret that the Brawn car was not developed at all for 2009. It was struggling for money. It didn't have money to develop their 2009 car to fight the title, let alone develop a 2010 car. For 2010 there where significant rule changes, including a ban on refueling needing a much larger fuel tank. Putting a larger fuel tank in is not so easy, it's a bit more work than ''saw the current car in half, add a bit in the middle, glue the lot back together''.

Schumacher has been very aware what is needed to fight for titles, the amount of continuous development needed to be in the fight let alone remain in it, is significant. He knew the effects of having zero money spend on the car after they spend their lot on the lube to squeeze the Mercedes engine in before testing 2009. This is a team that was flying home economy class on easyjet (including the team principals) after races.

Speaking of mindset...just listen to anyone that worked with Michael during his return (even guys that previously hated him) and how dedicated he was to the team in an effort to move to the sharp end of the grid.

stavura, SimCity3, jpalmito and 2 others like this.