360 f1 or stick | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 f1 or stick

Discussion in '360/430' started by Tbailey, Sep 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I’m probably repeating what a lot of the guys here are saying; $20k probably only gets you the conversion parts. Probably more like $40-45k all said and done. Now if you can get a really nice F1 car for $80k it might be worth it as manuals all seem to be listed for $150k-ish.

But if you can get a nice 2002+ F1 it’s probably going to be better than a manual. My 2004 F1 runs great and is just as engaging as a regular manual as I am always paying attention to load when I drive to pick the best shift points.

Only time I wish for the stick is in less than 5 mph creeping traffic that I’ve been stuck in once or twice for that iota of slightly better control. Either way you can’t really go wrong.

I’m usually for a manual over an “auto” but the F1 box isn’t really an auto. Still needs to be treated as a manual for optimal operation and clutch life. Even this old technology shifts faster than the ZF 8 spd that was in my 392 charger that is all the rage among the magazine reviewers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

KC360 FL likes this.
  2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Just be sure you are in love with the 6 speed stick and not the idea of having a 6 speed stick.

Also despite the idea that a stick car is one's preference, a converted car versus one that left Italy as a stick will probably be not be a ROI. I remember a lot of 911 turbos that were sent to "tuners" in the 80's like DP, Kremmer, etc. that now don't seem to be too desirable--- as original cars, they would bring a fair bit more. Not an exact comparison, but relevant.

For my money, I'd get the car you want and not try to make the car you buy into the car you want. Personally, I kind of get a kick out of those that say the F1 is outdated tech but are willing to drive a car with a notch-y, long throw shifter that feels like something out of a '60's era muscle car.

My F1 360 is my first paddle shift car. For decades I drove only 6 speed stick 911s. I love the F1. FWIW... good luck!

Bob in Makiki and patina like this.
  3. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Do the conversion if you love to drive stick and already have a 360 F1 that you want to keep.

Is the conversion cost worth? N to the O

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. Trackjunkie1

Trackjunkie1 Karting

Aug 2, 2017
    I suggest to drive both models before you make a decision. The F1 from that era is not the greatest. I have a 2006 Maserati Gran Sport with the Cambio Corsa F1 and you really need to use the paddles. In full auto you really feel the clutch disengaging. Keep in mind, that the F1 and Cambio Corsa are the same transmission as the 3 pedal/stick cars. There are actuators that do the clutch and actual shifting for you. These are not Dual Clutch. My buddies F1 360 feels like my Gransport. In comparison I also have a true 3 pedal/stick 360. Very fun car to drive but it is work. Really fun when you get your footwork and shifting spot on, really jerky if you do not. Revs fall very quickly, so you have to be fairly quick with your shifting and footwork. Sometimes a real pain in the ass, when you just want to go for an easy drive. I'm lucky enough to experience both. The Gransport is really a great car to drive, but it does go through clutches more often. Nature of the beast. . 4 years ago, I bought my 360 for $81K, so pretty good deal. There's always pros and cons, depends on what you really want the car for

KC360 FL likes this.
  5. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Nice comparison max.

I dtovr my buddies f1 car and could not get up to speed on smooth shifting.., maybe I need to beat on it more…. He has no problem making it sing thru the gears.

6. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    For my money, I'd get the car you want and not try to make the car you buy into the car you want. Personally, I kind of get a kick out of those that say the F1 is outdated tech but are willing to drive a car with a notch-y, long throw shifter that feels like something out of a '60's era muscle car.

My F1 360 is my first paddle shift car. For decades I drove only 6 speed stick 911s. I love the F1. FWIW... good luck![/QUOTE]

I like it how each gated shifter is different. Learning the personality of it, and perfecting shifts is part of the joy. My cayman shifts perfect, so smooth and effortless with 2 fingers, I love it, but I don’t get the same satisfaction driving it. My 575 is grumpy when cold, and even when warm, needs deliberate upshifts into 2 and 4. My 430 is very slick and light, and u have to be very fast to revmatch since flywheel is so light. But even when u don’t get it right, it doesn’t really jolt. I feel more connected to the cars knowing their little quirks.

I may never get to own or drive a 275, 288, or f40, but these are the last modern links to those classics.

DBomb117 and one4torque like this.
  7. pauls

pauls Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2004
    If you like F1s get an F1. If you like gated stick shifts get a stick shift. If you care about appreciation the stick is the way to go. If you don’t care get what you want.

8. ScoHig

ScoHig Rookie

Jul 6, 2021
    East Lothian, Scotland
    Full Name:
    Scott Higgins
    I wouldn’t convert an F1 to manual. It just doesn’t make any sense to me as the conversion cost gets you into factory manual price territory… but with a real possibility that you’ve just devalued your car by making it a FrankenFerrari.

I see the F1 box as being very much of its time… and cutting edge (of its time). I like that - especially as many of the F1 box models are approaching modern-classic status.

But that’s all IMHO - at the end of the day it’s your car, your money, so do whatever puts a smile on your face. We have a saying in Scotland - you’re a long time dead!

maxpower2913 and EastMemphis like this.
  9. tonyc

tonyc Formula 3

Oct 19, 2003
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Tony C
    I wonder if anyone as looked at upgrading the F1 system in the 360 to a system with no lag, rather than spending $40K "down grading" to manual.

10. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    The drifter crowd has access to a dct trans… they use them w high hp ls and coyote motors.

im sure w enough coin you could try and update the f1… your residual value would be terrible

11. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I think the closest you can do in a 360 is an update to a stradale ecu, I haven’t bothered since I have an 04 spec tcu. Changing the hardware/trans is probably a very costly endeavor to something not oem. I wonder if one could retrofit an f430 trans/programming and how close to bolt on that would be

12. J360M

J360M Karting

Nov 29, 2018
    I moved from a stick to an F1 after someone took me out in a CS upgraded 360. I knew I had to have one! I then bought the nicest F1 I could find and had the TCU and ECU upgraded to CS spec.

Suffice to say, it’s awesome. Not many people get out of a CS and say the F1 holds it back. It’s perfectly suited. Plus my F1 would blow the doors off a standard 360 now although it’s not about the speed but more the fun… I can’t imagine what Trevs is like!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

patina likes this.
  13. Mbelliss12

Mbelliss12 Rookie

Jun 24, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mark Bellissimo
    Gated owner here. I had to have one, so I bought it. And love it. But, I would not pay to convert one. Get a great condition F1 car, do any TCU/ECU upgrades, and enjoy, you’ll get the hang of it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

14. maxpower2913

maxpower2913 Rookie

Dec 21, 2020
    Full Name:
    J Angle
    Any info on the upgrade your saying? First I'm hearing

15. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Upgrading to stradale ecu and tcu improves performance in both areas. Either a physical swap or a reflash to stradale maps (at least this second option was possible in the past)