991.2 GT3RS vs 488/F8 | FerrariChat

991.2 GT3RS vs 488/F8

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Fang911, Sep 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    For those of you familiar with the 991.2 GT3RS and 488/F8- is the latter close in “feel” to the RS? In my brief test drive of the 488 two years ago, I recall being awed by its design and power but have little recollection of the steering / transmission / handling. I am seeking the raw, angry, lumpy, all-business nature of the RS combined with the ferocious V8 and timeless interior / exterior aesthetic of the Ferrari. Would the 488/F8 check all the boxes?

For reference, I am in the process of selling my manual 991.2 GT3 and am in line to order an F8 but also have the opporunity to buy a friends essentially new 991.2 GT3RS-

2. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Not even close in feel. You want a Speciale.

3. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Or a Pista.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  4. Get a 360 CS.

rpmtifosi likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    An F430 Scud is probably the closest. If you want more power and the modern feel and looks, the Pista is what you want. The F8 and 488 feel nothing like the GT3TS, which I think is a good thing. On the road the GT3RS may feel like all business, but it is massively compromised from a performance standpoint as no road is as smooth as a GP track. The Pista is a good mix. Run really well on track and is still able to run on the road without getting upset and nervous.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

ScrappyB likes this.
  6. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    As a past 991 GT3 owner…no absolutely a different feeling car than the 488. On track the Porsche feels better and totally different…I guess that statement will get me kicked off here but …. On the street the 488 is more fun with its low rpm turbo power, quick feeling steering and driving the Ferrari is more of an event although to me driving my GT Porsche was pretty special too. Over all looks I prefer the Ferrari

ScrappyB and blkdiablo33 like this.
  7. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    No, the 488/F8 is none of those things, but you gain comfort, daily usability, turbo-power and the 'Ferrari ingredient', which really makes the car focused and capable when you want it to be. This is a standout feature for me, whereas in the GT3, you cant turn that characteristic off, making it somewhat of a one trick poney.

ScrappyB and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017

My answer will not make some happy, but based on the description of the car you are seeking, the McLaren 765LT is the easy choice. The only thing missing from the stated objective above is the timeless interior / exterior aesthetic of the Ferrari. I have both a Pista and a 765LT, and the while the Pista is phenomenal (fast, beautiful, engaging), it’s nowhere near as “raw, angry, lumpy, all-business” as the 765LT. Frankly, it’s not even close.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

carz80am, Pure745, ScrappyB and 5 others like this.
  9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very good description. This is an area where Ferrari has it nailed. The ability to switch personality and do something unexpected.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

xBox likes this.
  10. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Yes, I was very impressed by the cars versatility and breath of abilities, particularly coming from something as single purpose as a GT3.

However, the biggest factor limiting their use for me still remains...... the attention they draw. I really don't like it at all.

11. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Thanks for responses…another reason for posing this question stems from a “mistake” I made last yr- bought a ‘18 R8 V10 plus which is also a beautiful package wrapped around a heroic engine but the driving experience (compared to GT3/RS) was too mature- too polished- too “distant”….ended up trading it in weeks later.

I’m not suggesting the F8 is analagous to the R8- just looking for confirmation the F8 is closer in spirit to the GT3RS (scalpel) than the R8 / 991 TT (hammer)-

12. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka

Color ?

MDS

13. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
  14. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Make of this what you will, but I went from 991.2 GT3 in the following directions, having also loved all the qualities you mention, just wanting something a bit more useable and special......

>> 812 SF, while I was waiting for the F8 Tributo...... bit of a mistake, as the v12 kinda overshadowed the v8, even though the F8 dynamics were far more to my liking

>> Sold the 812 SF for a Huracan Evo Rwd, as I wanted to try the v10 and roll up the sound/emotion, in a rwd mid engine package...... was a huge success for me, just I found the F8 slightly redundant, even though it was arguably a superior package, just not as thrilling.

>> Traded F8 for a Spider..... delivery in a few days, so will see how that goes!

Now, having owned/driven all the above, I would say the Evo Rwd is closer in spirit to the GT3 (can't comment on RS), mostly for its theatre and sound. For me this nudges it past the F8, even though the F8 is dynamically superior to the Evo.

Another consideration is that you feel and know the F8's electronics are contributing big time to its handling, whereas the GT3/RS are leaning on rws and superior front end mechanical grip to get the job done.

All IMHO!

VAF84 likes this.
  15. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Thank you for this, super helpful with the direct comparisons. Why did you end up going with the F8 over the EVO RWD?

16. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    No, I have both :D

17. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    You lucky bastard :) So if you could pick only one… Which would it be?

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Talk about being ignored.

19. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Sorry about that,…am aware the 765LT he’s a fantastic, visceral driver but I have still not come around to McLaren design language and have always been concerned, perhaps incorrectly, about reliability as well as depreciation to a lesser degree-

20. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Don’t get the Spider for a few days.

in any case, they are both in my ‘useless car’ garage slots.

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    On a Ferrari forum suggesting a Mclaren will be dismissed with the rehearsed script- cannot get with the appearance and it is not a Ferrari.

22. KZEVO

KZEVO Karting

Jul 25, 2021
    Would love to hear more about the f8 v spider comparison.
    I am in similar boat as the OP. Have the opportunity to order either the f8 or the spider. But want the more visceral experience. When i drove the f8 i liked how go-kart’ish it felt but was lacking sound. May be it can be fixed somewhat with an exhaust but looking for a visceral experience. I have a 458 italia. Question now is what is next…

23. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    I'll chime in here too. Having owned/driven the 991.2 GT3, 991.1 GT3 RS, 458 Spider, 488 Spider and F8, I can say that the GT3 RS feels the most raw of the bunch. The 488 and F8 feel the least so, with the non-RS GT3 not too far off from 'em. The 458 is kinda in the middle IMO.

I really loved the GT3 RS on the street because it is more easily upset by bumps than some of the other cars. It moves around in exciting ways, and you can hear the motor's revs rising and dropping as the rear wheels flirt with traction. The only way I can describe it is that the RS feels on the road like a purebred race car feels on the track.

Can't speak to the Pista/765LT or other "special" Ferraris, although I will admit I've been eyeing a Scud to "level up" my garage's adrenaline quotient next to my 458 Spider...

Long story short, based on your description I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in an F8 or 488. There's only one way to find out for sure, though: drive 'em both!

Mickyd329 and ScrappyB like this.
  24. Fang911

Fang911 Karting

Jun 24, 2021
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    HTF
    Thanks for the input, I feel the same way about the RS- so communicative and provides a ton of feedback.

Drove a friend’s Speciale and Scuderia a few years ago and was blown away- both beautiful designs with heroic engines and analog ethos. Found out today my dealer just got in a new demo F8- Will be taking it for a drive tomorrow and report back-

25. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Awesome pair you have there! With your personal experience with the 765 (and I assume other top-tier McLarens), what are your thoughts about the SF90 recently beating the Senna on the same track? I’m pretty surprised myself, but this is the type of stuff that makes me more and more excited about my SF arrival. Thanks in advance!

Image Unavailable, Please Login