360 - Changing cats without pulling muffler | FerrariChat

360 Changing cats without pulling muffler

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ghostdiver, Oct 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Is it possible?

I just put the car up on the lift in prep for the annual service. I've got AP 100 cell sport cats going in. I'm curious though...even though I did pull the rear bumper, is it possible to pull the OEM cats without pulling the muffler? It's a CS exhaust by the way.

2. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    When I changed my cats if I remember correctly, I believe I just removed the mount from the frame and moved the entire system back without taking it completely out....of course I have a Gruppe M exhaust that allows for a lot of access.

3. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    May have to loosen the muffler mounts to get access to wiggle the cat pipes off the muffler flanges.

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    After looking at it and studying it, I realized that I was spending way more time just trying to figure out a shortcut. Now, just to be clear, during my discussions with myself, there was no alcohol involved. If there had been, I'm pretty sure I would have disconnected the half shafts just to prove a point that I technically didn't have to pull the muffler.....

In the end, the best course of action is to remove the muffler assy. and the side brackets. There's about 1.5-2" of pipe from the cat stabbed into the tailpipes flanges. I might have been able to drop the flange at the header and work it back to the car but in the end, best option is to bite the bullet.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    That’s your problem right there. You just shouldn’t be working on cars at this point.

Ghostdiver, one4torque and OrmondStar like this.