328 Factory Cabrio on sell... | FerrariChat

328 Factory Cabrio on sell...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Gilles82, Oct 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gilles82

Gilles82 Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2009
    Maranello (Mo) Italy
  2. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Nice find.

Despite being from the factory, it looks to me like a rushed aftermarket conversion. Maybe it was rushed to see if they could stretch another year or two out of the model awaiting for the new 348 production? The Mondial convertible looks much better, the same top style but an integrated design in comparison. Why the sail panel windows, other than I guess it would look very odd in side profile with a big swath of fabric. I wonder how much body bracing if any they put in there to keep the chassis stiff enough?

But as a piece of history and low km, I am sure a collector somewhere provide a home for it. Looks good in yellow too.

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Cazzo il cookies del sito!!

4. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    What a pity this poor advertising with bad picture, no VIN confirmation ( #49543 ) and history.

5. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    Yeah, I wonder if this is the legendary 328 prototype #49543 ? That would be super cool. If so I assume it would be worth a lot of money.

From Wikipedia:

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont think so, 1.2 M euros ? What kind of drugs are they abusing ?
    Thank you

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    The chassis # has always interested me.

9. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    $1.3+million and those are the only pics they put up? Would be a cool car but not at that price.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It is indeed #49543; its story is told in some details in Dirk-Michael Konradt's book "Autos, die Geschichte machten: die Ferrari 308 und 328" (MotorBuchVerlag, 1990, in German), including confirmation of the chassis number.
    Interestingly, it has been the protoype for the whole 328 serie, and was tested thoroughly starting at the end of 1984. After the factory decided against producing the cabriolet in serie, the car was shown at many "salons" in Europe, and never was considered as a kind of "secret protoype". It vanished not long after the sortie of the 328 in September 1985, and came back on the market in Italy at about 2007 - if my memory serves me, etc...in the meantime, the car has been forgotten and no-one was interested in it (most buyers probably believing it was some after-market conversion or else...) and it languished for sale for ages at 40.000 euros...

Rgds

miketuason likes this.
  12. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Apparently that car was designed and built in mid thru late 83. The QV was still a baby.

13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I never cease to be amazed how poor some car adverts are.

How much does everyone think it is worth? The thing is, it may be unique but it doesn't look that great. Even with the top down those stupidly long buttress things spoil the line. I think I would much prefer a decent GTB or GTS. But it is really hard to see anyone buying it based it on that advert. I imagine you would have to sell it at auction with proper photographs and explanation of its history to get any kind of worthwhile price.

14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Like I said in my previous post (= #11),that very same car stayed for sale for ages about 15 years ago; nobody wanted it.
    As the old french saying goes: "un pigeon se lève chaque matin" ("a pigeon gets up each and every morning" (a pigeon = a fool, so "a fool gets up every morning"; understated: the only thing to do is to find it...)
    1,2 million € is ridiculous, F-40 territory, especially considering the appaling three pictures, but...who knows? No harm in trying...

Rgds

15. s219

s219 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2021
    It would certainly have collector appeal/status even in poor shape. I think any prototype or test mule car would, and this one has the added uniqueness of being the only factory cabriolet 328 ever made. No clue on value. I have seen collectors go crazy over cars that look like junk to me. The right person would probably pay big bucks. Really, this should be sold at the type of auction that will reach those people.

Rosey, Gilles82, wfu97 and 1 other person like this.