458 Shifting 1st to 2nd. | FerrariChat

458 Shifting 1st to 2nd.

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Tdb1, May 17, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tdb1

Tdb1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Tony D
    Anyone experience any issues with shifting between 1st to 2nd with hard acceleration in the 458's ? Once car enters second car jerks hard. Happens occasionally. With low revs, car works perfectly.

2. todo

todo Formula Junior

May 18, 2006
    Sign of DCT failure -my 458 showed these symptoms and we had to replace the gearbox.
    If under warranty no big deal as this is a sealed unit the dealer takes the old one out and fits the new one.

3. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Mine sometimes shifts a little harshly from 1st to 2nd in sport: normal imho, you just have to apply gas gradually as the car makes a lot of power for the transmission to shift smoothly in the early gears, you'll get the hang of it :)

PS I finished many of my mods and installed the innotech headers: pics and videos to come when I have time :)

Sargepug likes this.
  4. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    You shift too slow, flip the paddle faster, it won't jerk. Try it.

Sargepug likes this.
  5. rickwjenn

rickwjenn Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Rick
    This really is an amazing feature. The faster you flick the paddle, the more "firm" is the shift. It much more than an on/off type switch....

The Engine/Transmission management software must be measuring time over the range of motion to calculate aggressiveness of shift input.

Sargepug likes this.
  6. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Also when you downshift, flip the paddle as fast as you can, that will make the downshift sounds solid like racing downshift.
    Remember to always switch the manettino in race mode.

7. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Good info. :)

8. bigblock737

bigblock737 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2013
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Andy B.
    The shift speed changes with manettino setting - there are three different modes. Wet, Sport and Race,CT off, CST off.
    Behind the paddle there is a microswitch - no difference if you flip it "fast" or "slow"... It's digital, so on or off...

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    ^This

10. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Despite all technical explanation, trust me, I'm very obsessed to the sound of downshift. If you hit the paddle too slow, it won't sound good, like a longer rev, not "boom", one solid kick.
    And for up-shift from gear 1 to 2, on higher rev (above 7,000 rpm) especially up-hill road, the car will jerk if you hit the paddle slowly. Hit it like you just stole it, and the car won't jerk.
    And I never to switch to anything EXCEPT RACE MODE.
    Wet is for raining.
    Sport is for women and seniors.
    Race is for me.
    The other 2 are for maniacs.
    LOL.

11. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    + 1

CST = Commit Suicide Training :p

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    The 458 changes downshift characteristics depending on how you are driving it. It's part of the beast's programming. If you start driving the car aggressively, the downshifts will almost instantly become quicker and louder with the engine revving higher to match speeds for the downshifts, especially in Race mode.

wthensler likes this.
  13. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    I know this is older, but many in here say hitting the paddles faster makes a difference.

14. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I also think that if one ever so slightly lifts on the accelerator during a shift (a hard habit to break after years of driving clunky F1 trannys) it confuses the DCT computer and shift can become very jerky.
    (I am also aware old thread but the experience may be relevant for some new to the 458 series.)

Xrayv8 likes this.
  15. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I put a Steve Mass Engineering tune in my 458 Spider. It really calmed throttle response and shifting consistency, especially at lower RPMs. Apparently he’s got a bunch of maps that can be programmed in which (I suppose) affect the DCT/throttle interaction.

What @Ski Bum said is tried and true……..

16. vv23

vv23 Karting

Jan 8, 2009
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Full Name:
    V V
    Whats your reviews of Mase engineering tune for the 458?

I am considering getting it.