Ferrari F430 *Headers* Q4 2021 Market Update - and more | FerrariChat

Ferrari F430 *Headers* Q4 2021 Market Update - and more

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JM280z, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Hi All,

Headers are a big deal with our F430s due to the known pre-cat time bomb issue. Im doing the full exhaust system, tune, and air-boxes now so I’m sharing my findings.

Headers:
    AP (Agency Power) F430 headers are now rebranded to VR (Vivid Racing). Apparently they have 23 in stock. Future manufacturer orders are supposed to be identical to AP headers but the 23 in stock as I write this were being sold as AP headers just a couple weeks ago. Price went from $3.5-4K to $2k. I requested a discount and got it to $1920 after taxes and shipping. I worked with Tyler, 480-921-7422 Ext 275; Tyler was Awesome to work with… Tyler was honest and didn’t bad mouth Top Speed and said “idk” when he didn’t know an answer. I 100% trust him and his product based on his communication.

I would have still went with Top Speed headers since Top Speed quoted me $900 shipped but they’re 2-3 months out on supply. Dan, from normal guy super car, is getting a shipment of Top Speed headers in a month.
    -Dan was great to work with but he simply couldn’t beat price on anything. I’d rather buy direct from manufacturer for customer service reasons and also it was a slight savings. Dan was nice for a 1 stop shop if you don’t want to hustle between 5 different sellers.

Sport Cats:
    I bought Top Speed sport cats on eBay for $1149 shipped. They were asking $1300 but I offered $1100 and they countered at $1149. My friend got a set for $1150 doing the same thing (I saved $1.00!). They said in writing, twice, that they will not throw CELs…. We’ll see. I’ll be furious if they do, or I would have left it stock. Mase tune people said they’ve seen good stuff from Top Speed too.

Exhaust:
    Im sticking with S-Line. They’re by far the best sounding via YouTube and based on my friend’s F430. I placed an order for x2 exhausts and x2 titanium heat shields. Due to the quantity, he gave me 15% discount. The second set is for another friend with an F430. It came out to be $340 shipped for the titanium heat shields and $3350 for the exhaust shipped. The exhaust was 1 week out from order, second set 2-4 weeks out. I called the number on the website and I got the owner or tech, idk, and he was fantastic to work with too.

Air Boxes:
    Be cautious of eBay. Sellers have some Chinese junk and selling obviously used air-boxes as new (possibly cracked or why else would they be up for sale).
    ExoticCarGear.com was best priced. I called them to discuss their product quality. It’s still from overseas so I’m skeptical. They gave me a 10% discount on the carbon fiber air boxes. $916 shipped. If it’s good quality, I’ll buy more from them. Carbon fiber market is so variable with quality due to Chinese junk. FabSpeed was $1300 for air boxes, too much imo.

Tune:
    Haven’t pulled the trigger yet but I’m leaning towards Mase. They have great communication and the owner drives a F430 too. I’m happy with their customer service and communication. My budget for tune is $1k-1.2k so we’ll see. I’ll report back with this.

The whole setup will be ~$9k. This is compared to FabSpeeds $17k package….. maybe I’m missing something but FabSpeed seems way over priced, plus I’m happier with the product quality and sound I’ll get from this setup. FabSpeed does have great communication and customer service though too. Mase tune people said I can expect 80-100 whp more from the above setup. 60whp more from just headers and tune.

I hope everyone is doing well! Thanks for being apart of the FChat community.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

arizonaitalian and EastMemphis like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Becareful of s line drone on the low end or did you do the s line with valves?
    Cap headers and cap 200 cel cats is what I went with finished with Kline

3. Nafiz Ali Khan

Nafiz Ali Khan Karting

Jul 19, 2006
    Phoenix
    I went with full FabSpeed on the F430 and now having trouble with them to warranty their headers blankets. Probably won’t go with them again after this experience.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What this looks like.

You went with the second cheapest option. Tubi hands down makes the best product..followed by Capristo. You did not like the price of those, so you went with the junk. I have experiance with all of them. I will only install 2 of them the rest..take it to speedy muffler for the install. You have decided to drive a 150k+ car..yet you skimp on parts.

5. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    You don't like Kline?

6. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Mase told you HP would increase to nearly 600hp with all this? I'd like to see that on a Dyno because I don't think that's possible.

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't believe it's possible: there are fuel system limitations.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Kline is a fantastic product. Installed many on Porsche and Lambo. But still waiting for my first Ferrari system install. I'm itching to do so. So I cannot comment on fit. But I would imagine based on past experiance installing on other cars it would be spot on.

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I have a kline muffler off cap headers and cap hiflow 200 cats with a valve controller. The difference between valves open and closed is sometimes hard to notice- sounds pretty good especially at high revs

tbakowsky likes this.
  10. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    "Im sticking with S-Line. They’re by far the best sounding via YouTube and based on my friend’s F430. I placed an order for x2 exhausts and x2 titanium heat shields. Due to the quantity, he gave me 15% discount. The second set is for another friend with an F430. It came out to be $340 shipped for the titanium heat shields and $3350 for the exhaust shipped. The exhaust was 1 week out from order, second set 2-4 weeks out. I called the number on the website and I got the owner or tech, idk, and he was fantastic to work with too."

Titanium heat shields for the muffler? Got a link?

You'll need heat shields for the headers.

11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have two 430s and I am wondering about this time bomb issue. Do you mean cracking headers/manifold? There is much discussion about this on the 430 board. I just wonder how much of a time bomb this is? I have owned my cars a total of 11 years and both have OEM Mk2 headers and both are fine. While that's not a scientific sample, the garages who look after them see a lot of 430s and have never seen any time bombs..a couple of cases of leaking headers replaced by new ones, that's all.

I totally get replacing an exhaust to get more power or noise. But I don't get the time bomb thing. Is there anyone here whose Ferrari turned into an actual time bomb because of this, rather than just needed new headers?

12. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    It's rare but it can happen if you left a cracked or warped header go for some time. Air can be sucked in. Add oxygen to a furnace, it gets hotter which can damage the precat. Bits of which can be sucked back into the engine.

Themaven likes this.
  13. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes. i ignored mine for a little while and then i realized the risk i was running....so stopped driving it, researched the issue, sourced the headers, ceramic coated them, and they are now being installed.

yes maven, it will happen to you too. it is not IF, it is WHEN.

14. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have a 2008 430 Scuderia with 20K miles. Does the header problem effect Scuds?

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes i had replaced my scud headers at 21K miles with larini. OEMs had a leak

16. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had a Fabspeed on my Porsche that was under a year old but I bought it with the exhaust on it....a failed weld and lost a tailpipe that they would not honor under warranty because they only deal with the original owner....would never buy anything from them again....

Nafiz Ali Khan likes this.
  17. JM280z

JM280z Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Top speed cats, AP (now Vivid Racing) headers, s-line exhaust, carbon air-boxes, mase tune = best sounding car I have ever ever heard……….. it’s nuts.

Very loud on start but settles down dramatically once warm. Then at throttle, it’s nuts…. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

18. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I get why people are cautious, our engines are precious. And totally understand why you are doing this and what Glen says.

But still..lots of people taking precautions because others say it may happen, is not the same as lots of people saying their cars time bombed - I mean the issue of precats being sucked into the engine, rather than leaking headers/manifolds which by themselves are just that.

interested to know anyone who has experienced first hand (not hearsay) this time bomb issue?

meanwhile there are I guess many thousands of 430 owners, maybe almost all of them, maybe even all of them, who haven’t had their engine ingest their pre-cats.

or am I being wilfully ignorant? I genuinely would like to know.

19. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Not in the same potential way. Scud does not have pre cats in the headers. They have air injection into the manifold to get them hot fast to clean up cold start emissions. Most problems with scud headers seem to be warping of the flange face from the extra heat. They can be re-surfaced flat.

gw32 likes this.
  20. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I think I have only heard it happening once or twice. There was a thread on here where someone was in for a rebuild. You would have to be pretty ignorant to let a failing header go that far.

21. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #21 ross, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    the first time i changed the belts on my 512tr, it had 35k km on the clock and was 12 years old.
    the first time i changed the bladders on my f40 was this year, and the car was 30 years old with 22k km and original bladders.....

what i am trying to tell you is that i am certainly not the guy who does some of the recommended services just because they are recommended or 'it is time'.
    i think a lot of those things are ********.

at the same time, when i hear the ticking getting louder on the 430 headers on start up - which means the cracks are getting bigger and will soon spit something out, i think twice and weigh up the risk vs reward.

the issue with those headers is a design flaw. the exhaust system from the engine to the tips is rigid, and when the engine moves around under acceleration, the weakest link is what will give, and the weakest link are the brittle cast headers. so when you replace dont do oem. choose something else, and then also change the brackets to some kind with some give. i just changed mine with stainless/ceramic coated, and also the motor mounts, in hopes that will take care of it. the optimum imo is the capristo bracket, but those bastards just started charging $1k for them - they can **** off at that price.

RedTaxi likes this.
  22. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes same headers

23. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    No not same headers. Scuds don't have precats. And headers are not cast they are welded tubes. But absolutely yes the problem is the rigid mounted system. Best solution is to simply bin the rigid lower brackets. They were never required.

24. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Thanks for the information. What do you mean "bin the rigid lower brackets"? Does this solve the problem, thus avoiding header replacement?

25. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Some of us are running without the rear lower brackets that attach to the gearbox. They hold the system rigid and as a result they and the headers crack because the system can't expand and contract. You can simply remove them, they are not required.