Ferrari mondial 3 litre qv misfire | FerrariChat

Ferrari mondial 3 litre qv misfire

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by garyrolls, Oct 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garyrolls

garyrolls Rookie

Apr 24, 2021
    bristol
    Full Name:
    gary adams
    Could anyone give me some advise please.My car has developed a lost of power when hot ,When the car is started from cold it's perfect will accellerate with no missing or lost of power.but when its warm if one drive the car slow & change gear at 3000 rpm it's fine,it's only when you accelerate hard after 3000 rpm it happens, The strange thing is if one lift the pedal off a bit & lightly press the throttle it stops missing.It as if the spark plugs are worn,I have replaced all plugs ,coil packs , rotor arms & new injectors,this only happens under load """ in neutral there's appear to be nothing wrong !! Has anyone any idea where to go next??

2. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant

Sounds like fuel starvation to me, have you checked the filters? The new E10 car rot the rubber fuel hoses, parts of fuel pumps etc. in older cars.

3. garyrolls

garyrolls Rookie

Apr 24, 2021
    bristol
    Full Name:
    gary adams
    I would agree but I only changed the filter a1000 miles ago.I will change it again to see if it is that. Thanks .Gary.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    when you drian it, tip the contents into a jam jar/ glass to see if there is any rubber bits in it. If there is you will have to clean tanks, blow out fuel lines have injectors cleaned etc, I had a 456 that did this and it was the rubber that held the pumps into the tanks that had perished and filled up the system!
    I hope it is not this for your sake.

5. garyrolls

garyrolls Rookie

Apr 24, 2021
    bristol
    Full Name:
    gary adams
    Ok thanks for that tip.Gary.

6. mario308

mario308 Karting

May 15, 2001
    UK
    Hi Gary, Years ago, I had no end of problems with my old 1983 Mondial QV. From an ignition POV I had discovered the "ballast resistors" that are in line with the spark plugs (pink in colour?) could go open circuit or high resistance when measured with a hand held DMM they should all be roughly the same resistance. This had the effect of weakening the spark and causing rough running and misfire. I replaced all 8 in my car, fixed that problem. I also had one whole cylinder bank go down but that was traced to an open circuir flywheel sensor at the 11 o'clock position when you look through the wheel arch from the clutch (LHS). Got this done at the garage as the sensor was well stuck in the bell housing so not a home fix in my case once sorted the car ran well. From a fuel POV I had a faulty fuel accumulator which caused very poor hot starting but in general once replaced I found the mechanical fuel injection system pretty bomb proof in the 14 years of my ownership.
    Cheers,
    Mario