308 Head fused to block | Page 4 | FerrariChat

308 Head fused to block

Discussion in '308/328' started by robertmclennan, Oct 29, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Some years ago I had the same problem with an E-jag cylinder head - corroded to the studs. I used the method others here have mentioned - put some cord into one of the end cylinders and then applied lots of torque to the crankshaft nut. Got a tiny bit of lifting and then moved the cord to the other end cylinder and did the same thing. After several such "lifts" alternating ends, the bond was sufficiently broken (lots of penetrant as well) to lift the head by hand.

I'd at least try that first - it costs nothing, takes little time and you can't hurt anything.

2. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am going to try all methods of removing the QV heads on my '85 308 this weekend. I will start with the heat and alloy block tapping, will also try the rope trip and if necessary, will make the puller as noted above. I think I understand what is being explained but if possible, can you sketch out the QV head puller design? Below is what I have - Thank you

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Good luck man. I had one stud stuck on a 355 engine and it took all day of beating with a stick and wedges. One stud, one day.

4. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Feel your pain. Removing the water pump manifold on my "early" 308 can only be done after removing all four studs Seemed simple - wasn't. Just like with your experience, it took one full day, most of which was to remove the very last one.

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Isnt there a steel plate with bolts contraption most guys have used? Or some rope trick in the cylinder? IIRC

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The practice of compressing cord on the dome of the piston would be much more practical if someone were to publish the number of ft/lbs of torque to stay below. Without that, I would be afraid of causing a weakening of the piston or the beginning of a twist in the rod.

absostone likes this.
  7. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Re: the rope trick. A great mechanic friend explained that as pressure is applied the rope will splay out to the perimeter of the cylinder and apply the force to the outside edges of the piston, not the center. I used this trick using braided line, (a retired Genoa sheet from my sailboat, available in any length at West Marine). The head was seized on the studs, not the head-to-block interface, and worked slowly: using the two cylinders coming to TDC, then remove the rope, rotate the crank and use the other two cylinders. Used a 4' breaker bar on the front crankshaft nut. I estimate 50 lbs of force on a 4' bar = 200 ft lbs. There are some picts here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/observations-on-a-gt4-engine-pull.458208/

When I reassembled the engine I used a very light coating of ceramic anti-seize on the studs (not on the threads!!) after cleaning the bores of the stud holes in the head. Hopefully the head will never need to be removed again, but if it does...

sltillim likes this.
  8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    That sounds viable though I would still be hesitant to use much force.

I would think that the head studs were plated when new. If not replacing the head studs, it would be a good step to replate those studs to prevent corrosion. It took 30-40 years to build up corrosion from new but a set of freshly wirewheeled or glass beaded studs might rust within a very short time.

9. Gleggy

Gleggy Formula 3

Sep 22, 2004
    Land of Oz
    Full Name:
    Gleggy
    Easy fix,
    Just use my head gaskets, no more leaks.
    Murray

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I tried everything and even hung my transaxle from a head for a while with lots of PB Blaster. Eventually used a scissor jack and an axe handle (check out Derek’s 308.)

11. irfgt

irfgt Rookie

Aug 8, 2010
    absostone likes this.
  12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    THat was the plate i was referring to.

13. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for the picture of the puller plate. However, this looks like a two valve engine and my engine is a QV - am I incorrect? There are no accessible head studs to push on with the QV

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Correct.

15. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    derekw and Patrick Dixon like this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    How did you do it that way?

17. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    short bottle jacks lots of wood and rubber at the top and bottom and worked very slowly back and forth. Then turned it upside down and used 4X4s

Aus_yz likes this.
  18. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Can I unbolt this front cover with the cam drives? Will it come off if I don't remove the ring nuts from the cam drive sprockets? Does anyone know the size of those ring nuts? Thanks as always - very helpful to get input from others who have been down this road rather than learning the hard way....

19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes, you can, but why? This is the time to replace the cam drive seals and bearings, all of them.

waymar likes this.
  20. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    yelcab - thank you. At this point I want to pull off the front cover so I can remove the pistons and crank - Then, I will change the seals and bearings...

I was just trying to determine if I can unbolt that cover from the front without having to remove the ring nuts on the cam drives??

Also, if anyone knows the size of those ring nuts so i can purchase the correct tool the first time...

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    28mm is the size

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010