Removing Tight Oil Pressure Sender, Any Tricks? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Removing Tight Oil Pressure Sender, Any Tricks?

Discussion in '308/328' started by 308Dadoo, Oct 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Yes.

2. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Thats the current plan once I get the lid off to be able to get better access to the area. I'm not in to sticking things in to tight spots and bending stuff out of the way without knowing what its doing. Create another problem to solve the one I've got. Done that before.....lol.

3. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    So it seems to be able to get a socket and appropriate breaker bar on the nut portion of this, the rest of the sender needs to be removed leaving just the nut.
    Seems to me to be my last resort if I can't get the filter base housing off and remove it on the bench.

4. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Look closer at the picture I posted. The nut and the base of the sender body are one piece. The top of the sender is just a can that is swaged around the base. Put the Channellock's on the base with the cover still on. That's about 2 1/2 inches in diameter giving you a huge amount of leverage with a clear path to clamp down and break it free. I can't remember but I thought these were tapered threads (NPT) If so, once it breaks free there will be no trouble.

I mean, it's worth a try before you go taking half the car apart but it's your call.

mike996 likes this.
  5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Have we yet determined that the sensor is faulty?:eek:

If so, I missed that and apologize.

6. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Grounded sender wire and turned on ignition. Red light comes on and gauge needle does not move.

From what I've read this indicates that it may be bad.

7. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    My manufacturing background tells me that the steel disk around the nut is a separate piece of steel that is swaged and/or welded/brazed to the nut. I cannot conceive of a method of manufacturing a nut like that that wouldnt make it mega expensive.

My initial thought was to just grab the sender casing with some channellocks and see what happens. It would probably twist the casing loose and i'd have to then start cutting the swaged flange around the casing and remove it. Exposing the innards as shown in Tuason's photos. Then I'd have to destroy all of that in its removal leaving the steel flange attached to the nut, I'd have to either tear/rip the steel flange or cut it with a dremel type tool and dremel metal cut-off wheel.

Not fun anyway you look at it. That nut is not going to budge without some serious torque to break the locktite that I believe was used.

Forgive my long winded explanation but this is what I've been thinking. Stupid for such a simple little part

I agree once the thread "pops" free its a piece of cake !

8. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    This photo clearly shows the P clamp securing the pipe to the intake manifold. Remove the clamp, loosen the hose clamps on the two ends of the hose, and it will move enough to access the nut.

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Maybe I am misunderstanding this but if you grounded the wire with the ignition on and the gauge needle didn't move, you eliminated the sender as the problem. If that is true, you should ring out all the wiring before setting your sights on the gauge.

10. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Maybe this is already understood, but there are different circuits for the red light and the gauge needle. The red light in the gauge comes from the sensor behind the oil filter manifold, below the plenum. It should go out (pressure switch opens) when pressure is built up.

The gauge (measured oil pressure) is coming from the sensor we all are worried about here .. stuck or whatever happened.

Skickat från min SM-A320FL via Tapatalk

11. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, not a good sign for the gauge itself (if your other gauges are all working). A low probability is a bad connection in the HN wire between the sender and the gauge -- there should be a 10~12 position connector near the top of the LH shock that this HN wire passes thru that you could try unplugging/replugging to wipe the connections (but these male-female spade terminals are usually a pretty reliable connection). If you do get to the point of removing the gauge, it would be a good idea IMO to measure the resistance of the wire from the gauge end to the sender end, as there are other connection points in that wire that are just not very accessible. If OK, then you can send the gauge out for repair with some confidence that it has an internal problem (if the other power and ground connections at the gauge also measure OK).

miketuason likes this.
  12. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Andy is right, removing this clamp will allow you to move the pipe and should be enough to expose the nut on the oil filter base.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    Finally felt well and motivated enough to tackle the oil pressure sender removal again. Mike Tuason graciously agreed to come over and assist with the rear lid removal and attempt to remove the oil filter base housing and sender together.
    Well, it took a little while loosening and moving stuff out of the way but we got it done!
    The new sender works great with pressure readings back to normal!
    Thanks to Mike and Pepon for the great conversation and help ! I couldnt have done it without them
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

miketuason and 308 milano like this.
  14. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Was there locktite or rust. Why did it not turn when you tried it on the car vs off the car?

15. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Car is beautiful, owners not so much.

308Dadoo likes this.
  16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It was fun helping you yesterday David, I’m glad we were able to fix it and yes my cousin Pepon was also a great help, nice to have an ex Formula 3 race driver help us.

17. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    The brass adapter shown in the picture seemed to come off easily once Mike and I had the housing off. Dont know it the wrenches were hitting the block or ? Thinking it might have come off if we had destroyed the sender housing but we’ll never know now. The nut on the housing is definitely stuck on the brass adapter. And wasnt coming apart.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You can clearly see the crush washer being squeezed so tight between the adapter and the sender.