Planning for 2022 service on my '89 328..... | FerrariChat

Planning for 2022 service on my '89 328.....

Discussion in '308/328' started by Fiat4Fun, Oct 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    So, just go back from picking up my car from it's yearly dealer service and "Checkout" and they found very few things wrong. The reverse light does not engage, (but if I stick my finger in, it works) and slow start when it's hot, which it has done forever. That's all the dealer could find? With about 43K on the speedo and knowing I need to do the belts and bearings in 2022, I was trying to think of other services it might need. I do the regular changing of the oils and coolant, I was thinking of the front wheel bearings ( ABS model) and other things I should look at. I have been looking at fuel lines and that is getting higher on the list. But they all seem to be good, with no seepage or anything.. Might pop it up on the lift and look at the crossover line again, seems easy to change out.....
    Anything else I should think about? Brakes seem good, fluid is change yearly. Seems not to need anything, but it's going to be 33 years old and getting some miles on it. I do drive it, except for the snowy Oregon winters..... I do go through the factory manual for my normal list, but could advice from the experts here...Car seems great, just trying to get my "list" together for the next six to eight months.......
    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Fuel filter? Rubber brake lines? Checked valve clearances? The 5 B's - bearings, bushings, ball joints, boots (CV), belts (auxiliary).

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  3. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    Valve clearances

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I'd address the slow start when hot because that would annoy the heck out of me! But we all have our own priorities!! :rolleyes: Yeah...and that reverse light too... :p

I would assume that if it gets a yearly dealer service that the scheduled valve adjustment was performed at one of them. If not, as mentioned, that would be a good thing at the specified mileage intervals in the manual.

The rest of what you identify sounds good. As far as "hard" components, I wouldn't replace anything that is not a "scheduled" replacement in the manual until there is an indication that it needs replacement. For example, I'd leave a 33 year year old water pump right where it is until it starts seeping from the weep hole or otherwise calls attention to itself (roughness/vibration from the bearing, etc). Others prefer the "while you're in there" method. It's all about what you are comfortable with.

Personally, I'm very comfortable with, "If it looks/feels/acts OK, leave it the F#$k alone! :cool:

Rosey likes this.
  5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Sounds like the reverse light switch needs adjusting (I'm a bit surprised they reported it, and didn't simply adjust it free of charge)

Are the front wheel bearing's showing signs of any issues? (noisy/excess movement/getting hot) - If not, I wouldn't bother replacing them just for the sake of it.

When were the valve clearances last checked and adjusted? - If it's been a while (or not at all), I'd be tempted to get them done.

(I hope the following doesn't sound as though I'm suggesting you don't know what you're doing, when it comes to starting the car):

On the slow hot start - How are you starting it?

Reading the owners manual, for cold starting it states: "Do not press the accelerator pedal."

For hot starting it states: "....... It might be useful for very hot engine to slightly press on the accelerator pedal"

Could it be that you're starting when hot without any throttle/accelerator pedal, and that's causing the slow start? - Just a thought :)

6. Fiat4Fun

Fiat4Fun Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2008
    Sunriver OR
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Thanks for all the great input.
    The car has been dealer serviced since new, and the 15K and 30K services completed before I reached that milestone.
    The valves have been been adjusted during those services, along with filters and the other recommended items.
    Just had the shift seals done in 2019 and had all suspension checked at that time.
    I have never done the wheel bearings, but have the brake fluid changed yearly, with no indications of bearing issues.
    The dealer asked if we wanted them to address the brake light and hot starting issue, but we were anxious to get home before the snow came.
    The dealer is 200 miles away ;-)
    I start the car as recommended, just turn the key when cold, starts right up. On hot start, a bit of gas and it usually will start the first time, sometimes takes 2 or 3 turns of the key. If any one has suggestions on how to adjust the reverse light switch, I can add that to my list.
    Thanks again for all the advice.

7. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    So it’s normal that the start is difficult when warm! I was thinking something was not ok.

cold start perfect. Warm it takes 2 or 3 attempts

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    "So it’s normal that the start is difficult when warm! I was thinking something was not ok. "

I've not found that to be normal on my 328 - hot and cold starts are the same - turn key, car starts.

RodC328gts likes this.
  9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    My 89 328 GTS with 18.000km cold starts every time, second gear is hard to engage when cold, hot starts are no issue, 1 time in 10 just needs a bit of gas to fire it up again.

RodC328gts likes this.
  10. Dave Bertrand

Dave Bertrand Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 24, 2005
    Castle Rock, CO
    Same here. Mine starts right up no matter how hot the engine is.

RodC328gts likes this.
  11. RodC328gts

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    What would cause the hot start issue.
    Not starting on the first crank. Maybe the 3rd

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    '89 GTB / 60.000 kms & '89 GTS / 41.000 kms: both start everytime cold or hot.
    Second gear hard to engage when cold on the GTB, not on the GTS in warm weather; slightly harder in cold weather on both cars.

Rgds

RodC328gts likes this.
  13. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Try disconnecting your cold start valve. I've heard these can cause starting issues under certain conditions.
    Also do a residual pressure leak down test on the fuel system.

RodC328gts likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hot start is 90% a problem with the fuel pump, fuel connector crimp, relay, and accumulator, even on a 328. As it gets worse, it won't start at all. For another 30 years of carefree driving, replace them all.

RodC328gts likes this.