Coolant exchange tools via shop air? | FerrariChat

Coolant exchange tools via shop air?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by staatsof, Oct 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I know about the $2,700 ones... not going to happen.

But are any of the ones you see on Amazon for anywhere from $85-$125 worth it?

I need to do a complete exchange on my gigantic Suburban's cooling system

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The airlift system seems to be popular among the Ferrari crowd

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Skippr1999 and staatsof like this.
  3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Airlift works very well

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Evacuating or just filling?

5. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    You dump the coolant however you normally would. Next you hook the Airlift up to the expansion tank and pull all the air out of the system. Then, with a hose in the bucket of coolant, you flip a valve and all the coolant gets sucked back into the system.

6. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    I have an Airlift system and it works very well. Never had a problem. Don't ever expect to get the full coolant capacity out when draining the system if draining from the petcocks on the radiators. Measure what you remove and replace the same amount.

7. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There are two heater cores on this vehicle with long pipes to the one in the rear and getting all the old coolant out is a SOB. It doesn't sound like this will help with that. :(
    Typically I drain and fill with plain water repeatedly until what's being drained looks reasonably clear and then I fill with mostly coolant and it ends up at about 50% that way.
    Takes a long time though. Sigh.

Thanks for commenting on what this does.

8. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The Airlift should still work for you. It evacuates the air out of the entire cooling system including the heater core or cores just like evacuating an air conditioning system before adding refrigerant. The new coolant gets drawn into the entire system to fill all the voids. I have successfully used mine on some of the most difficult vehicles to refill like my Lotus Elise and it has worked every time. I never even have to top up the coolant after running the engine for the first time, the entire system is completely filled.
    The only thing that is shocking to see are all the collapsed cooling system hoses all over the vehicle after applying the vacuum but it doesn't harm them and they all expand again once the new coolant is drawn into the system. The only thing that can go wrong is if you let your bucket of new coolant run too low exposing the filling hose which will pull air into the system and leave air pockets. As long as you keep refilling your bucket with coolant during the filling process until the system stops drawing it in, the Airlift will work flawlessly.

hessank and Skippr1999 like this.
  9. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Can anyone please post a link to an Airlift system? Thanks.

10. 05elise

05elise Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Sharpsburg, GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Scott98 likes this.
  11. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    I've had the Schwaben Coolant Vacuum Fill Tool for several years and have used it successfully on my 308GT4, BMW 850i and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Makes those biennial coolant changes a breeze. There is an extraction outflow hose so that any fluid pulled out during the vacuum phase can be dumped in a pail, but I've never used it to extract the entire contents of the cooling system. I think some other versions specifically allow this to be done.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_STTOL5_pg12.htm

2dinos likes this.