Is it sacrilege to change the nose of a 348? | FerrariChat

Is it sacrilege to change the nose of a 348?

Discussion in '348/355' started by pnicholasen, Oct 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    If you're a Ferrari purist, read no further, otherwise idle hands do the devil's work, and I thought I would try doing a new nose ( original nose was unharmed and still intact). I liked the 388GTO nose, but the square lights are a bit dated. I also love the Detomaso Mangusta. Anyway, here's what came out of alot of fiberglass and Bondo work. You can start shooting your arrows now... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    Frankenferrari!

Good to see you are still tinkering.
    Interesting mod!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. OCKlasse

OCKlasse Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 5, 2006
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Brandon K
    I like it! Very creative.

4. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    The front end is one of the best design features of the 348 imo. As long as your happy!

Pangea likes this.
  5. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    Great stuff
    air intake, it was always odd as to why only 1 from an aesthetic point of view
    my only comment is i think the roundness of the bumper ends is a bit 'too' round - but otherwise it's good.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I bet it looks even better in person. Enjoy!

7. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I'm a sucker for quad round lights. That's pretty cool.

sjd

8. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #8 itsablurr, Oct 29, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
    Really nice effort (and appreciate your video series on the major service!), and I imagine easily reversible if desired, swapping back to a factory bumper cover.

Overall though, it looks off to my eye. In the photos at least, radius of the grille opening on the sides needs a bit different shaping, or treatment to the fog lights, as currently lends a bit of a 'puffy cheeked' look from the relationship between the surface/curvature of the bumper and the grille opening corners/lighting groups.

IMO, the 348 front end is a really well resolved front end in terms of design language and resulting aesthetic (related: the front bumper on the f355 is one gripe of mine, as the proportions/sculpting of the updated softened/rounded turn signals, grille opening, and bumperettes/splitters do not resolve as fully or cleanly into the front end as the 348... looks a bit modified/forced, or tacked-on when focusing attention to details and design harmonization).

In terms of modification, perhaps the only tweak I'd make to the oe design is a secondary intake duct on the air dam on the opposite side, but that's just my taste.

9. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    mr308gtb likes this.
  10. radlu

radlu Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2005
    #10 radlu, Oct 30, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    Looks great! Keep up the great work!

brent Lachelt likes this.
  11. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    I think that front shot overly emphasizes the chipmunk cheeks look. Here's some other views. The original bumper is fairly vertical, and I wanted to sweep it back shark- nose style, so after making a mold of the front bumper, I had to cut the mold in various places to try and get that. It became a pretty complicated endeavor trying to then reconnect the various surfaces Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The answer to the question is yes.

copterjon and Pangea like this.
  13. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to do here but it doesn't work from a styling aspect. It looks kit carish and cobbled. It doesn't blend well with the side strakes nor with the stock wheels. Makes me think Pinninfarina had a stroke at the drafting table. You mention the the square lights being dated. Are you trying to modernize it? Ferrari did that with the 355 and that too is out of date. Both are "modern classics" Enjoy it for what it is. That said it is yours to enjoy any way you want.
    That's my arrow. I hope you catch it and not in the heart. It's just my opinion and I give it since you asked.
    Now that I'm done being a bit of a dickhead I have to give you mad props for the effort and craftsmanship. Looks like top notch work and you should be proud of that.

14. marioz

marioz Formula 3

Nov 21, 2003
    Cedar Mills,Ontario
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Looks pregnant.

15. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    JOHNCJ8989, copterjon and marioz like this.
  16. pnicholasen

pnicholasen Formula 3

Jan 14, 2011
    South of Philly
    Full Name:
    Paul Nicholasen
    Actually, I would say your photoshop skills are pretty damn good. That came out looking pretty good, but to copy that I would need to add a bumper.
    I also realized after I sort of hatched the plan that it was going to have a touch of Mangusta Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I’m not into modifying Ferraris; but I have to say that looks pretty good. And somebody who has done basic bucket and brush grp work, really good craftsmanship.

For my personal taste I’d have kept the rectangular lights as that ties in with everything else on the car. I wouldn’t go twin rectangular as that just then tries to copy the 288. But angling it and extending the grill to get rid of that piece of body work on the oem bumper, works in my view.

18. mr308gtb

mr308gtb Formula Junior

Sep 12, 2004
    Full Name:
    MeestahBig
    I didn't quite like the new look...

19. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I’m not a keep it stock kind of guy. I like RWB and Pandem kits on cars. Every car I own is modified in one way or another. Having said that this bumper looks like it has poor fitment at the fender. The gap looks different at the wheel well than at the front. And even if the gap was right it looks flared out more than the fender. For that reason alone I wouldn’t put it on a car I own. Looks too “stuck” on. I know the stock 348 bumper sticks out too but the lines the factory chose hide it well. The changes to the bumper here appear to amplify the difference and not in a good way. Maybe if you have some widebody fenders on it the look would be better?

20. S-T48

S-T48 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2008
    Stevenson Ranch, CA
    Yes, it is sacrilege, very sacrilege.

21. FerrariofAlberta

Feb 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Scott McMonigle
    I'm a purist, but I really like it!!