SF90 Destroyed in So. California | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SF90 Destroyed in So. California

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by TG, Nov 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. metaldriver

metaldriver Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2015
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Andy Vecsey
    #26 metaldriver, Nov 14, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    I don't think so. Look where the caliper is on the LF ... at the 6 o-clock position. That caliper is supposed to be at the 3 o-clock position. If the caliper moved that much, it is likely the spindle is damaged, which indicates (to me) the wheel integrity is compromised. Who knows what the RF wheel looks like, having taking the brunt of curb impact damage.

Napoli likes this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    That much damage to a car as sturdy as the SF90 and an injury like that? Speeding. Zero doubt.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Why is making a judgment relevant at all ? This was a serious accident , cause undetermined, that resulted in a total car write off but fortunately a young girl passenger emerged unscathed and the driver sustained injuries that are not life threatening. What is significant, is whether the car malfunctioned being responsible for the cause of the accident.

Gh21631 and Rrr1 like this.
  4. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    Hoping for a full recovery for the driver and thankful that the passenger was not injured
    What malfunction are you proposing would have led to this?

ingegnere likes this.
  5. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Now that would be a very scary possibility, if the front electric motors decided to have a mind of their own...hmm, we really do need to know more about this accident.

6. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Because everyone out there is watching us. We are constantly judged by other road users when we drive our cars. We need to hold ourselves to a high standard in relation to events such as this.

This is just another notch in the belt for those saying "There goes another idiot in his Ferrari" and those wishing to legislate. We need to own up to what we see so that we can create a culture where driving like a moron is not accepted and never excused.

There will be an investigation, and that will be the final judge ment. But we as fellow Ferrari owners should be frank and open about our opinions.

I'm not saying what I'm saying to pass judgement - that's a job for the courts. I just call it as I see it and that's my opinion. To me it looks like speeding, and that to a degree where I feel little if any doubt at all. If it turns out to be true, then I can base a judgment off of that, but I will reserve my judgment till there's an official conclusion.

waterking, Rifledriver and RumorDude like this.
  7. mcw

mcw Karting

Aug 10, 2008
    Road at accident site is straight, flat, and level. Posted speed limit is 40 mph and rises to 50 mph about 400 feet further up the road after the accident site. 33.615959, -117.909590 across street from 500 Pacific Coast Highway, Newport Beach.

8. Gpsorenson

Gpsorenson Rookie

Nov 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Gavin Sorenson
    I've been trying to find this everywhere. I actually passed by the guy while driving to Huntington beach, he was pulling out of the Ferrari dealership. I made a U turn about 5 minutes later driving back towards the Ferrari dealership (not to see the sf90, just driving for fun) and it was wrecked right across the street. The girl was standing and as I've read is fine, lucky he didn't kill anyone.

9. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This is just a hunch, not a judgment. But that kind of feels a bit like, "Went to the dealer, took a cool car out for a drive, nailed the throttle out of the gate, ran outvof talent.".

10. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    This car had been delivered to the owner the week before, I know this because a good friend of mine is his neighbor and he had sent me pics shortly after delivery obviously this is a very sad situation, fortunately the occupants survived.

Napoli likes this.
  11. Robertdrenk

Robertdrenk Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Drenk
    Plenty of experience actually.

12. Robertdrenk

Robertdrenk Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Drenk
    Yeah no not at all.

13. Robertdrenk

Robertdrenk Rookie

Dec 16, 2021
    Full Name:
    Robert Drenk
    Thanks, I wasn’t speeding I had just got the car washed, wet tires and the traction control was off somehow as I pulled out and switched lanes at 35-40 the tires slid as if they were on ice in slow motion and sent me into the curb. When it hit the throttle came through the floor board and crushed my ankle also sending the car full speed on the sidewalk into the pole! Look at the throttle in the photo
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

themediocore, RumorDude and of2worlds like this.
  14. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    Wow - glad you're alright, what a bummer. The crushed pedal box is definitely disconcerting.

15. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Im glad you are ok and so is your daughter. Do you think the traction control being off could be a result of the digital interface? If I recall the SF90 does not have the traditional Mannetino switch? Maybe its easier to not be in the mode that you want to be in?

16. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Still a physical switch...

[​IMG]

SoCal to az and of2worlds like this.
  17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ahh- my bad. Thought they had changed that.

18. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    Wet tires on the sf90 and in any mode outside of wet and it’s gonna be a hard car to control.

19. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Why is there so much damage to the side(s) upon which there was no (apparent) impact? The car seems to be wrinkled and malformed everywhere.

20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The car looks to have been "compressed" so to speak. Taks a lot of force to do that with such a stiff chassis. Just another indicator that a fairly high rate of speed is part of the equation.

SeattleStew likes this.
  21. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    How fast?

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
  23. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Perhaps the chassis is not as stiff as some people think?

Marcel Massini

dinogt4guy and drew365 like this.
  24. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #49 Napoli, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    ..."Just another indicator that a fairly high rate of speed is part of the equation."

What would qualify as "a fairly high rate of speed?" That car looks like it was put through a tumble dryer. I can't believe it was only impacted on the curb side of the car. And, what are those red marks on the car from?

I know this is highly situational guesswork on my part, and my objective is not to doubt or impugn the driver, but why would the foot still be on the accelerator at the moment of impact (with the pedal impact causing injury to his ankle) instead of on the brake pedal? Rhetorical questions, perhaps. No need to reply if you (or anyone else) are not so inclined.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    60+ in those conditions perhaps.

As for why he would have his foot on the throttle? Panic perhaps. People dovall sorts of thjngs when their car loses control. Stepping on the gas instead of the brake isn't that uncommon after all.