85 308 QV, need new cat | FerrariChat

85 308 QV, need new cat

Discussion in '308/328' started by jlonmark, Nov 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    My cat is burnt and the car won’t pass communist Ca smog. Anybody know a source to get a new one, good original one or perhaps rebuild the one I have? Also any aftermarket recommendations are welcome too!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Ebay has some 328 Cats, I think they are the same . If you cant find one, buy a test pipe, I can let u borrow mine to get yours to pass smog, then you can put your test pipe back in , that will give you two years to find one. Let me know if I can help.

Thank you

dinoart and Il Tifoso like this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    T Rutlans ($1400), Maranello Clasics ($1600), Probably Ricambi if you cal them.

4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Do the emissions inspection require an OEM equivalent (appearance) cat? If not, any muffler shop can probably source/fit a cat for 200-300 bucks.

5. bonneaud

bonneaud Karting

May 3, 2004
    Hyperflow cat from Ricambi ( $700 years ago) . Direct bolt on with O 2 sensor port. Compact and light

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Nov 28, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    dinoart likes this.
  7. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    RodC328gts likes this.
  8. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    I was able to put out a HELP ad here in the 308/328 forum for a Catalytic converter here on Fchat a few years ago and a fellow member reached out to me. He was located in one of the 47 free states to the right of us and was nice enough to sell me the one he took off his car 20+ years prior. Many owners have NO use for it in other states. Price was far below the dismantlers out there and it has been proven to be a great purchase with 2 clean smog test to date since installation.

Part number #121385

Mondial Testarossa 308 328 all use this unit.

Word of advice, do NOT toss your old one out if you locate a good one, have it recored for future use again or hollow it out. Both are Illegal in CA but so is fishing off the back of a horse and chewing gum in Carmel............ ; )

9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks fellas! Yeah, it’s Ca so visual and insanely strict smog numbers. If the car was brand new, as in Ferrari made 1 brand new 308qv tomorrow, it still wouldn’t pass Ca smog. It’s a joke. You would have to
    Lean the car out and retard the timing a bit and then you might stand a chance. So frustrating!

10. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Nobody is going to do a visual inspection on a Cat on a Ferrari 3x8 , Ive never heard of such a thing, they put the car on the dyno, it either passes or it doesnt, no smog shop on the face of the earth would know the difference, good grief. They wouldnt even know where to look in the first place, its that simple, buy whatever will work, install it, and go pass the smog.Im in California, and in 22 years, no smog shop has ever looked or asked me about my catalytic converter, nor will they ever.

Thank you

dinoart likes this.
  11. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Unless you’re trying to get the Classiche Certification, a friend here in SoCal had his QV Classiche certified and and during the pre inspection, he was told in order to be certified he needed to install the original cat for visual as he has a test pipe installed instead. They didn’t say if it has to be good or bad cat as long as it’s original.

dinoart and ginoBBi512 like this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

500 will pass u smog with nothing on nowadays;)

Jbrauer likes this.
  13. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    It is worthwhile reading this thread in which Brian Harper explains how any PC1 cat that fits is legal in California:
    308 smog

Too much is made of California SMOG testing. I follow a friend's trials and tribulations getting his cars inspected in Massachusetts. The hoops he has to jump through are much more difficult than California's. A lot of other places have more thorough inspections and criteria than California.

Brian Harper and ginoBBi512 like this.
  14. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    There are at least a hundred QVs in California passing smog every couple of years. I have replaced my broken up cats, but even with those junk I passed every smog test every time. Other than caring for the air pump there's no drama at all.

15. Jbrauer

Jbrauer Karting

Oct 12, 2016
    Pasadena
    A 308 QV that is set up correctly will pass smog with a CAT, with flying colors. At least mine always did.

16. Banzairacer

Banzairacer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Sanjeev Thohan
    Mine just did.

Jbrauer likes this.