who is running BMC/KN Filters | Page 2 | FerrariChat

who is running BMC/KN Filters

Discussion in '360/430' started by carguy007, Nov 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I've run K&N for over 4 years w/no problems. I have 2 sets that I rotate every year. There are no problems if you maintain and clean them. For those saying there is no difference compared to stock paper filters, they are wrong. The K&N provides much more flow of air. I can tell the difference in my catless setup. They are the most aggressive in airflow....more than the BMC and Green Dragon filters. In saying this, with less filtering and you should clean them more frequently.

2. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    Lambo uses BMC on the Perf & EVO. Dodge used K&N on the original Viper ACR.
    Personally, I've ran both for 20+ years on multiple vehicles with zero issues.

3. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Lots of opinions on here, but not a lot of data. A quick check by me doesn't yield a good picture for K&N in terms of filtration efficiency or flow improvement.

My thoughts are that the perceived improved performance is likely to be linked to the change in sound as much as anything else.

Attached Files:

4. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    It's funny what information people take in to form their opinions.

5. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    It's not merely opinion, document power gains. With major auto manufactures running oiled filters on cars (Murci SV, Huracan Perf/EVO, Viper ACR, Demon, Ford Performance filters), F1, NASCAR, IndyCar, etc. there's more to it than a perceived change.

Here's a good comparison on the Viper with significant power gains. Standard cars had paper filters, ACR had K&N.
    https://motoiq.com/project-viper-gts-part-4-baseline-dyno-and-kn-intake-test/2/

Flea7 likes this.
  6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Nick ...according to Robin's data from some India research data with a TATA Sumo (whatever the f*uck that is) the oem filters are more free flowing. :rolleyes:
    He chose that one to support his opinion. LOL
    So many test and comparison has been done on this subject and he picked some old research science paper write up to show us were wrong. :rolleyes:
    When I switched out my factory paper filters to K&N. There was no doubt it made a difference. My M3 as well. The F12 will have BMC put in soon.

white out likes this.
  7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yep. This kit was installed on mine. I think the biggest gain is from the cold air. The stock intake has slots that let in hot air from the engine compartment. This differs from the coupe, which I think does not have the slots. On the spider, you need to remove the rear wheel and access it from the fender well. I think the coupe can be accessed from the engine compartment, but I don’t know that for certain.
    I have no affiliation with RMR, btw.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

clean512 likes this.
  8. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    The qaybit should be. Its hard to belive that ferrari actually used that part.

Need4Spd likes this.
  9. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    The way it should be

Need4Spd likes this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I can’t figure out if they put the slots in it to tune for resonance, to keep some warm air feed, or for water drainage. It’s so odd.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

clean512 likes this.
  11. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    Very odd

12. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I chose that one as (i) it was from an academic source, and not a tuner, which the vast majority seem to be from (for understandable reasons) and (ii) it included data on how effective the filter is at actually filtering out particulate.

Look, race cars use foam type filters - I have no doubt that there is a slight performance advantage in most cases. I just think its going t be very slight, and will come at the cost of reduced filtration efficiency.

As a side note, I'm well aware that we can all pick out studies to support out own beliefs, but at least its a basis for discussion that goes beyond the N=1 personal opinion of guys who use them in their car for x-years and swear by 'em.

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I hate to complain but isn't that kit a little pricy for a tube, clamps and plastic receiver? I am interested in doing the cold air conversion on my spider though...alternatives?

14. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Yes, it’s pricey. The tube is heat and fuel resistant material I think, and actually an OEM part, which raises the price. The receiver is cnc’d aluminum, not plastic. But yeah, pricey. But isn’t everything Ferrari? I’ve not seen any alternatives.

15. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    do it yet Daryl...? I looked on their site and didn't find it to purchase. My Italian grilfriend headed over to Ted for rollover valves this week.

16. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    There is just the tube on ebay for 115 from a vendor and its a factory part

Need4Spd and BrettC like this.
  17. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Yes, that is Ferrparts in Sacramento. I'll call them tomorrow & see if they have the other necessary parts. Thanks!

18. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    On scuderia parts the air conveyor is $694 new. We are talking about the challenge parts?

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    RMR is a small shop that makes these in batches. See if you can DM him. I had this put in when I had a major done, so it’s hard to know how much this contributes, but I’ve never had a belt and plug change provide so much more punch. So the cold air tube seems to make a significant difference.

20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    BrettC likes this.
  21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
  22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Gotta love pony pricing eh?

Need4Spd likes this.
  23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    LOL. Yes. And Scuderiacarparts is less than most.