The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari | Page 21 | FerrariChat

The C8 Z06 Corvette sounds more Ferrari than Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ngcanada, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Too many great cars to choose from to pay ridiculous ADMs. My SA at Porsche called me to offer me a 992 GT3 Touring allocation at $50K over MSRP. I paid 0$ ADM for my 991.2 GT3.
    I told him “no thanks.”

LARRYH, mdrums, ryalex and 5 others like this.
  2. r00t61

r00t61 Rookie

Nov 26, 2004
    San Diego
    GM changed their allocation model for Corvettes earlier this year. Future allocations depend upon how quickly you sell the current cars in your inventory (which matches the way that other GM products are allocated).

So if you are Dealer A, and you get 5 cars in the 1st quarterly allocation, and they're all sitting on your lot because you slapped 200K ADM on them, well, guess what? You're going to generate 0 sales, and as a result, in 2nd quarter allocation, you're going to get 0 cars.

Meanwhile, the Big 3 dealers (Ciocca, Macmulkin, Criswell) are turning over 50 cars per quarter, maxing their future allocations, and the process snowballs unto itself.

Guys, the Z06 is not going to be "rare". They made nearly 40,000 C7 Z06s total; and Bowling Green has added capacity since the C7 generation. Yes, chip shortages and the beer virus have created a bottleneck, but it won't last forever.

pdxjim488, BJK, Dragster and 2 others like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Need4Spd likes this.
  4. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I think this is a good thing but I don't think it will be very effective, especially with smaller dealers.

If you're a smaller dealer and usually only sell a few ZO6's per year there will be very little incentive to NOT charge ADM on the few cars you're going to sell.

I think most small dealers would you rather sell 2-3 cars, each with a $30K markup than make $1-2K per car selling 10-15 cars.

5. Rrr1

Rrr1 Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rrr1
    A local small (Jim mccay in Va) tried getting me for 60k over. No thanks

6. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The fact that GM allows it’s dealers to behave like this is terrible. I’ll never buy a GM product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rrr1 likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The large dealers will force the small dealers to not charge ADM. If you as a potential buyer know that you can contact a large dealer and not pay a ridiculous ADM for a Corvette, I think it's pretty safe to say that it is what most will do if the small dealers charge ADM's.

I highly doubt they will charge the same kind of ADM as Porsche is currently doing. The cars a manufactured in the US and there will not be the same kind of production shortage that currently drive the Porsche market up in the US. Not saying there will not be a delay at all, but nothing like what's going on with Porsche.
    Everyone who wants a Z06 will get one. Only incentive to pay and silly ADM, is to be before your neighbour.

BenB and AD211 like this.
  8. Wikdstrate

Wikdstrate Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2013
    New York
    Full Name:
    Alec
    I agree, but ultimately, it depends on how long you want to wait. Most of the large dealers have waiting lists with more than a 1,000 people wanting allocations and a few of the large dealers have stopped accepting orders.

If you want a ZO6 within the next few years you're going to have to pay market adjustment. I don't think the large dealerships will be able to get anyone (that is not already on a list) a car for a very long time. Your two options are get on a list (to hopefully, eventually get a car at MSRP), or get one with an ADM.

I saw this coming a mile away and got on a list two years ago at MSRP. Folks that are late to the party are going to wait a very long time or pay a hefty ADM. The large dealers have no where near the allocations to satisfy current demand. It IS every bit as bad as Porsche right now.

jimmyb likes this.
  9. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Indeed. It would be just as bad if the Chevy dealer told you to buy a used C7 or C6 from them to get a C8 at MSRP...

bluesea likes this.
  10. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    If you get on McMulkin's Z06 list TODAY (11/29/21), you will be told to expect your car in THREE years. While C8 ADM's may not be as much as Porsche ADMs, there is no difference in the time a customer late to the dance must wait.
    C8 Stingrays are still on a 12-16 month wait from deposit to allocation/order.

Thecadster likes this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    3 blanking years? Who the hell has time for that?

bluesea and ScrappyB like this.
  12. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    You can walk in and buy most any Ferrari…at MSRP…. and place an order, so long as it is not a special version of some sort, in which case you still pay MSRP, you just don’t get on the list.

Ferrari forbids its dealers from adding an ADM, and the used Ferrari’s are usually at the market price and not a penny above.

There are so many people whose first Ferrari was a 458, 488, or an F8 over the last decade and there was no obligation to buy used, buy a marked up car, pay ADM, or other games like the Chevy and porsche dealers. Are there exceptions? Sure. But it’s not the norm like with Chevy and Porsche.

13. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    There are LOTS of people that had to buy a lusso in order to buy a Pista (just look thru a lot of the old threads). Lots of others that had to buy a used car before they could have the privilege of ordering a new 488 (I’m in that group). How about the fact that you have a brand new car with delivery miles only that has a huge market because it was technically titled and now being sold as pre-owned. Don’t kid yourself, Ferrari dealers play the same games and it is certainly not an exception.

up until the F8 and Ferrari going public a new customer was not able to order a new car without some history. Things changed when they mandated a certain percentage of sales had to go to new customers.

ScrappyB likes this.
  14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #514 jimmyb, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    ^^^
    Thanks. I was sure I had my facts straight on how Ferrari dealers manipulate their customers on new cars. So, it's either ADMs on Porsche/Corvette or buy a car you weren't planning on buying for the honor of buying the car you DO want down the road.

Of course, if the Ferrari dealer that made you buy a Lusso for $XXXXX gives you the identical amount when you trade in for the NEW car you really wanted in the first place, then no harm, no foul. Although I'm pretty certain that's NOT how it works...;)
    The ultimate "double dip".

mkraft3003 likes this.
  15. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #515 FerrariCognoscenti, Nov 29, 2021
    I have to push back on this.

This is for a first time buyer only. Once you are in the family, you are in the family and can get whatever you want except maybe a Monza. I bought the car I wanted, a CPO 458 Italia for 20% below market value and have been offered in the last year an F8, SF90, and 812 allocation at MSRP! I’m not in the market for any of those cars, but I appreciate Ferrari’s approach.

This is no different than having a purchase history with Patek Philippe to get a Nautilus or Audemars Piguet to get a Royal Oak. This is standard in the luxury industry, and it is because ALL dealers are forbidden from adding an ADM, they will sell in demand models to existing clientele. No issues with that. It is when you have rogue dealers charging absurd ADMs inconsistent with the market that sometimes exceed 50% of the MSRP of the car. Patek Philippe terminates dealership licenses for at least 10-15 dealers per year for practices that in effect are an ADM.

Ferrari’s practice, like Patek Philippe is what adds to the aura and esteem of the brand while maintaining a very small degree of exclusivity in a responsible manner. Chevrolet and Porsche just allow their dealers to make a quick buck off an ADM….the rolex of the car world if you will and certainly not Patek.

Ferrari’s approach builds brand loyalty. Porsche dealers will still charge their most loyal clients an ADM. It is not okay.

Thecadster likes this.
  16. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #516 jimmyb, Nov 29, 2021
    I paid MSRP for my 2021 C8...

17. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Not to me cause I'd rather have 10 or 15 new customers,that could potentially feed my service dept. ,than only 2-3 new customers.

Need4Spd and AD211 like this.
  18. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    First you said
    now you say
    you realize you directly contradicted yourself?? While Ferrari doesn’t directly charge an ADM dealers play plenty of games. How do you explain all of the customers with plenty of Ferrari purchase history having to buy a lusso to get a Pista? How do you explain a dealer allowing a customer to buy 2 cars, title them both and immediately put one of the two for sale as pre-owned and charge a huge premium for it. How about the mysterious list that they will never disclose to you and amazingly you get bumped down when someone with more purchase history wants a car? How about their point system where the more events you go to and the more money you spend will get you higher on a list. I’m sorry to burst your bubble but Ferrari dealers play as much games as everyone else.

mdrums likes this.
  19. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #519 jimmyb, Nov 29, 2021
    You can "push back" all you want, you've been here less than a year. Should you choose to actually research this, there are literally HUNDREDS of threads on this site outlining what I said and mkraft3003 confirmed.
    And be careful about generalizing about what ALL Porsche and ALL Corvette dealers do. They don't all add ADM's. Some do, most do not.

PS. A Ferrari dealer sold you a CPO 458 for 20% BELOW market value? Why would he do that?

mkraft3003 likes this.
  20. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    GT3 are at $100k over. Was a yellow and a white here I heard of [not listed online] around $320k.

There's a purple Touring in SD online for $300k+...

21. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I’ll add that not all Ferrari dealers play games. I switched dealers as I was tired of the games and my last purchase from the new dealer was nothing but professional, transparent and no games. I’ll be ordering my next Ferrari from the same dealer because of this.

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I agree with this. I have had the same experience with Ferrari having purchased a new 812, a used Pista, and now a GTS on order. Worth noting, I have had the same experience with Lamborghini (first with a Performante and now with an STO on order) and McLaren (765LT) too. Meanwhile, I can’t buy a Porsche, as I can’t find a dealer to take my money. They make it too damn hard to buy a Porsche.

ryalex likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Just curious, what did you GTS come in at?

ryalex likes this.
  24. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    This was specific to the US, not the case for the rest of the world.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

mkraft3003 likes this.
  25. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    just got sent this:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login