458 - Installed Giro Disc Steel Rotors on my 458 and tracked it today…first impressions | FerrariChat

458 Installed Giro Disc Steel Rotors on my 458 and tracked it today…first impressions

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by FerrariCognoscenti, Nov 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Over the weekend I installed Giro Disc steel rotors on my 458 with Pagid RS29 pads and Motul RBF660 fluid. The brakes with steel rotors are 1000x better than the carbon. No overheating, no fade, they're running 150 degrees cooler than my carbon rotors after a 30 minute track session, and the stopping power and modulation are excellent and far superior to the performance I experienced running my OEM CCM carbon ceramic rotors. All of the brake problems I experienced with my 458…horrible brake fade, spongy pedal, etc. by the second 20 minute track session that was not improved by using Pagid pads and the same Motul 660 fluid. These Giro Disc steel rotors are the most unbelievable upgrade Incan conceive of for the 458. For everyone who tracks their 458, changing to steel rotors should be a prerequisite. What prompted my desire for changing to steel rotors was not seeking increased performance, but seeking increased safety. After experiencing dangerous brake fade after about 40 minutes of total track time consistently on my
    458 over the last few months, these steel brakes now make the 458 safe to track and cure all the braking woes that we are so used to with the 458. The improved performance is also an added benefit. Brake modulation is incredible whereas with the carbon rotors, the brakes simply felt like an unpredictable on/off switch. The CCM rotors were unpredictable on track and I lost all confidence in hard braking zones running the CCM rotors. It feels like I’m driving a 911 GT3RS now…not a 458! I cannot possibly recommend this upgrade enough to my fellow Ferrari Chat members.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluesea likes this.
  2. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Just to confirm, the pads are Pagid RSL29, not RS29.

3. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    Also I'd like to confirm pads used. And also what pad are you running on the street?

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    While the OEM brembo equipment is probably now outdated and not impressive performance-wise, it's hard for me to believe steel discs are so much better. On my 488 I elected to go for Surface Transform CCM discs with Pagid pads and I think (apart from the higher price) it's a better solution than steel discs.

5. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Do you track the car? I will spend on average 2.5-3 hours cumulatively on the track per day, and the CCM discs simply never held up and would easily overheat causing dangerous fade, spongy pedals, and bad situations that even the best racing brake fluids cannot overcome. This is with CT Off as well so it is not a traction control issue.

I think with better brake cooling on the 488, you don’t experience the same issues with CCM brakes than 458 owners experience. The 458 is notorious for dangerous brake fade on the track and overheating brakes, this is well documented…Ferrari corrected this on the 488 with enhanced cooling wheras the 458 has almost no cooling. On the 458, I think steel discs should be a mandatory upgrade for the track. On the 488, it’s optional and likely not needed unless you track often and want to save money to not have to replace CCM rotors often.

80+% of challenge cars all run steel rotors primarily from either Giro Disc, AP Racing, and Racing Brake.

6. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    I run the Brembo type 3 (very close to the Gyrodiscs) with Pagid RS29 on my highly tuned 997TT and am very glad with them as well, both on track and open roads.

7. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    your Surface Transform discs are far different and superior to the stuff Ferrari puts on the car. You have the absolute best in rotors. Not all ccm rotors are the same

Need4Spd likes this.