Luggage Shelf | FerrariChat

Luggage Shelf

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by SteveVT, Dec 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    One project I am having done this winter is redoing the luggage shelf on my 575. Mine came with the carpeted version and the carpet has pulled up in a couple of places, so I've decided to replace it with leather.

I got a quote back today of $2000 for the shelf (plus the back area behind the shelf) if it is done in leather or about half that if it is done in vinyl, which I am told will be indistinguishable.

As I understand it, 550s came with a diamond quilted pattern on the shelf where 575 uses a more straight seam pattern. I kinda prefer the diamond quilting of the 550, which looks more classic to my eyes. However, that would be a departure from the stock appearance of the 575.

My inclination is to spring for the extra cost of the leather, though I am guessing the vinyl might prove more durable.

Any advice or recommendations on this? Thanks!

2. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @tazandjan or one of the guys surely will know but I thought the Diamond quilting was an “unlisted but possible” option?

mine is quilted and I also like/prefer that solution.

SteveVT likes this.
  3. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    F456M and SteveVT like this.
  4. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    This is on my wish list for my 575M as well. That's not a bad price. I would like to find a shop that has experience fabricating these leather areas. Never liked the carpeted look. My previous 550 had the quilted leather rear shelf and headliner and that is something I do miss from that car.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I have only seen photos of the quilted rear shelf, not a quilted headliner. Not sure if that was available or not.

6. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
  7. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    This is the same as in my car, although Cuoio in my case. It was an expensive option to add both ceiling and rear shelf in diamond stitched leather.

Ruben

8. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    @Ferrari55whoa @tazandjan @root and all - Thank you all so much! It is great to know that the diamond quilted leather was a possible option from the factory for the 575. I am going to go that route.

F456M likes this.
  9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Steve,
    Is the vendor local to VT and NH?

10. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Eric- The vendor is in Vermont. They are excellent to work with - highly recommended:

Restoration & Performance Motorcars
    462 Monkton Road
    Vergennes, VT 05491
    802 877 2645 shop
    619 306 1917 cell
    rpmvt.com website

11. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    I'll give a vote for certainly leather over vinyl. It may look similar, but the vinyl will always be much glossier than leather, especially when cleaned. Considering the 550 is covered with leather everywhere else the contrast would be noticeable, vinyl just wouldn't look right to me.

Then with the new leather you'll get the new car smell back!
    My wife always complained why I spent so much money on a car that smelled like the 90's, lol.

F456M likes this.
  12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's excellent and good to know. Thanks, Steve. Looking forward to meeting at some point in the coming year.

SteveVT likes this.
  13. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Do the quilted diamond and do it in leather.

mominayal and Mellow_Maranello like this.
  14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Leather!! You don’t put chineese tires on your Maranello. Simple as that.

My 550 had the dark blue carpets and Crema leather. When I made the shelf and sides in a quite perfect color matched leather and original size quilting which is 1 x 1,5 inch, the whole car appeared much nicer. More light inside and more «Louis Vuitton» as a friend commented. I sent the old shelf to the leather shop and got it back in leather. This was during the winter when it was impossible to move the car the distance of about 800 kms., and the result was 98% perfect but not 100%. I regret that I did not have the car at his shop, because to sew it is one thing, but to make it fit 100% is another thing. We made a new plate that the new leather was glued to. Which in turn gave us some challenges to fit the straps on top. The original plate is a very thin and brittle transparent plastic plate which makes it easy to enter the screws for the straps, but with my harder plate which is somewhat thicker, it proved to be difficult to fit the straps. But after an houre or so I did it. Some very inappropriate Norwegian words repeatedly came out of my mouth.

Just make sure the guy have the car at his disposal to see how it will fit in the car and you are fine. Also find a leather with the same surface/texture. Post some before and after pictures please. Always cool to see these transpormations.

And I forgot to say that the old carpet is now for my car a «snap in carpet» and I found some Tenax fastenes that make if stay in place. So if I for some reason need to transport something big (like the car’s center muffler!!) and it is not clean or has some sharp edges, I just throw in the old carpet and the leather is perfectly protected!
    Erik

15. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Erik,
    Many thanks for sharing your experiences with the quilted leather shelf - the results look amazing. Your point having the upholsterer working directly with the car is well taken. I will check with RPM, but my understanding is it is a local artisan who will be able to work with the car to get the measurements just right.

I also want to say how much I enjoy your posts. I love your hearing about your travels and learning from your experiences with these cars. I also had the good fortune to travel to Norway a number of times (including several trips way up north to Kirkenes) in the early 00s and so enjoyed getting to know the people and the culture.

Best,
    Steve

16. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Graz, SteveVT, NE550 and 1 other person like this.
  17. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That looks amazing!

Ferrari55whoa likes this.
  18. 21ATS

21ATS Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Alan
    I had no idea this was an option on 575's. I've seen two I think whilst looking for cars and I'd assumed owners had simply had it done retrospectively.

I've always prefered the diamond stiched leather to the 575 option leather shelf. Nice to know it's not techincally "wrong" if you decde to put iit in a 575.

SteveVT likes this.
  19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’m not sure other than rollbar…which options my 550 is missing? I know many dont but I specifically love the carbon

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips

Attached Files:

SteveVT likes this.
  21. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Ferrari55whoa, Laserguru and haroonok like this.
  22. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Looks great. Who did it?

SteveVT likes this.
  23. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I’d say extremely pleased! Looks amazing

SteveVT likes this.
  24. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Terry! Restoration and Performance Motors in Vergennes, Vermont. http://www.rpmvt.com/
    They are not cheap, but great to work with.