New Market price for 430 6-speed | FerrariChat

New Market price for 430 6-speed

Discussion in '360/430' started by Way2fast, Dec 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
  2. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Saw that. Crazy. New normal or a one off? Will be interesting to see where prices go from here.

3. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Wonder if the buyer will follow through?

Edit: just read the buyer also has an SE30. Sounds like a serious collector with the means to follow through rather than a random person who got caught up in the excitement.

4. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    That is an insane amount!

I saw it at $255K and 2 days left on the bidding, and I was stunned then!

5. FerrfanFL

FerrfanFL Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 8, 2021
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ara
    incredible. simply incredible. these 430 stick prices will for sure bring up the 360 stick prices as well.

6. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    will not be selling mine any time!!!

Jeoka and Some Guy in the sky like this.
  7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    This particular car was very rare, practically a one off which helped the price immensely, I doubt it sets a new bar at this stage, though it probably raised it somewhat.

It is an 09, low miles, gated, factory CF shifter,, loaded with options, a very rare 2 tone interior (may be the only one?), and arguably the only black US 09 stick.

Highly collectible

gb70, Texas Forever and Sergio'sRide like this.
  8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It certainly shows where the market is going.

OrmondStar, one4torque and colorfull like this.
  9. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
  10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    a definite eye opener about market pricing

11. Giallo_f355gts

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    IMHO it was very typical with many BaT transactions lately...a seller that knows another car dealer who pushes the price as much as possible realizing that someone is willing to go all the way and if by "mitake" they end up winning it they find a way to unload it through another channel. I've seen quite a few in the last 6 months or so. To think that a manual f430 is worth 350k is to me ridiculous...BaT is clearly a seller's market!

Doug. likes this.
  12. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    unfortunate if that is how bidding on some BAT transactions works as it's illegal

13. FordGTDriver

FordGTDriver Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2007
    That is both scary and scandalous...I've bought a couple of cars on BaT. Do you have any specific examples of this fraud? I am not being sarcastic; I'm honestly curious and quite concerned by your post. Also, I presume that in committing the fraud you described, the "buyer", (the schill bidder) ends up eating the $5000 fee to BaT? I wonder if BaT or their lawyers would be interested in this post?

14. Giallo_f355gts

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    I said IMHO (in my humble opinion) so I don't know why you think it is scandalous or even think that a lawyer should be involved...I even bought from BaT in the past knowing that I was overpaying. I never said that's happening for sure, just an observation. Have you seen today's bid? I also don't see it as a fraud if the car exchanges hands at the end...

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Is it really illegal if two dealers or even two private parties buy up 10 cars of certain type and then put one out for auction bidding it up to the moon between each other?

LARRYH likes this.
  16. Giallo_f355gts

Mar 17, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alejandro
    I don't think so...it's just up to the potential buyer to figure it out and walk away...

rob lay likes this.
  17. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Pretty sure I saw something like that on a F355 that had 90k miles and sold for bonkers. The end buyer admitted they had just seen the ad pop up that day.

18. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It is illegal, Rob.

It is at minimum fraud but also crosses over into other legal areas

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    what is illegal? Isn't chandelier bidding legal at auctions? That might be a little different though. Anyway, seems like we've had many discussions over the years and although the gut reactions are it HAS to be illegal, it then comes out by those in the industry how much is legal and commonly done.

there is nothing wrong with buying as many cars of a type as you want. there is nothing wrong with bidding whatever you want for an auction car. I guess the gotcha would be "colluding" with another dealer to bid up the price. hard to prove if the dealer who won actually paid for the car and no other transactions between the two dealers (kickback).

20. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Collusions is the operative word

That is what, at minimum, is illegal

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  21. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    It looks to me like what happened on this auction is not unusual and in general not intentional fraud. People are just trying to make a buck on a car they can flip at a profit.

Dealers look to buy the car so they can turn a profit as this is a hot market, and then when it reaches past the point of what they would be able to return a profit on, then an individual seller ends up getting it.

You can see the dealers were in until they hit their ceiling of being able to flip it for a profit.

Sometimes the dealer gets it if there is not enough interest from an individual.

Don't see anything strange about that.

On the other note, is this a ridiculous price? It is a rare car, it's a gamble they're taking. Doesn't seem any different than paying $250k for a Buick GNX.

If I had the money, I would love to have this very car in my collection, would treasure it and it'd likely appreciate.

Texas Forever and rob lay like this.
  22. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    I agree but I did not allege that this transaction was reached by fraud.

I responded to a statement that brought up the possibility of fraud in bidding which is illegal both on stated and federal basis'

Certainly the vehicle was unusual and very clean

Obviously this brought high bidders to the table

23. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Watching a well known car dealer bidding up to (and beyond) reasonable resale pricing was interesting. The claimed "private collection" qualification could be accurate, but nonetheless a bit odd at this price point.

24. patina

patina Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2005
    Lake Norman, NC
    #24 patina, Dec 3, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    Easier to judge from the sidelines than play on the field, I suppose.

25. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Conversions will be 200 soon enough