Ferrari FF Glove Box not opening | FerrariChat

Ferrari FF Glove Box not opening

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Outrun, Nov 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Outrun

Outrun Karting

Hey All

I've run into a minor problem.

When I press the open button for the glove box, I can hear the click from the electronic button but the glove box stays firmly closed. It does open with the small, red string that Italian law helpfully requires to be installed. I don't use it much, just to store the headphones and remote for the rear TVs, but still, I want to fix it.

I took at look at the schematics and it's not obvious as to the part that's at fault. I assume that the Open button is a microswitch which should operate an actuator that opens a release lock. So, is the lock unit at fault or the Open switch?

Any ideas?

Cheers All

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    As I was first reading your post I was thinking maybe something in the glove box was obstructing it from opening. However, if the emergency thread opens it, I guess that is not the problem. And I assume you have emptied the glove box.

Since you hear the click, it would seem there is nothing wrong with the electronics. I am just guessing, but maybe it has something to do with the mechanical release holding the glove box closed.

Outrun likes this.
  3. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    yes if there is a click, I would say the issue is mechanical. Maybe lack of lubrication, or could it be too much tension on the latch preventing it from opening?

Outrun likes this.
  4. Outrun

Outrun Karting

I wonder if it is just a matter of lubrication (why does that sound so Benny Hill?). I'll give it a try at the weekend and report back. I don't use the glove box much so it could be.

5. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    Since it is making the clicking, I doubt this will help, But go to your "Settings" and be sure the box is checked.

6. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    just got my new to me FF and I am running into the same problem, but no click, no noise, just dead......anybody has suggestions? how do you remove the "open" switch ? thank you for your help.

7. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As said before, best to check the settings in the menu for the glove box opening.

8. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Thank you for your comment Wheels1 unfortunately not so easy. Engine setting was the first thing I did. Will look for the 10 AMP fuse in the under dash panel and the relay T40 in the trunk.....and of course the OPEN Switch.......hopefully........ continuity.

9. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    so it is the switch......fuse ok, relay ok.....no power coming out of the switch......
    Anybody replace it? how to take down the trims? suggestions? thank you in advance.

10. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Had it happen on my FF and it turned out to be. Connector slightly coming apart tho I didn’t hear where it was…

SV

11. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    Thank you anyway! good to know! mine has the switch very "glue" and do not click when pushed.....

12. Outrun

Outrun Karting

What connector do you mean? I'm going to have a look at mine tomorrow, it's not the menu settings and I can hear a click when I press the "open" button so assuming either the mechanism that open the latch when you press the open button is stuck or it is not receiving the message from the open button microswitch. It opens when I pull the red bypass cord that Italian law thankfully assures is installed. It's a great example of why a fancy piece of electronics is not required when a simple handle and latch would be fine! A bit like electronic handbrakes, what was the issue with a handbrake lever and cable?

Altoria F likes this.
  13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Wish I could tell you but I don’t know. I believe it is located nearby the box tho.

SV

14. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    The connector is located behind the AC module that is easy to pull out.

15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Exactly how I feel about simple things getting unnecessarily overcomplicated with electronics. For me, a simple handlever with lock for the glovebox will do.

Altoria F likes this.
  16. cali2012

cali2012 Karting

Apr 27, 2020
    Full Name:
    Giulio
    I could not agree more